hand dexterity and agility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wylie313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i was wondering if there is anything you guys do to increase your finger/hand dexterity and agility. like flipping a poker chip in between your fingers back and forth...(got that one from scrubs, but anyways) im just curious, bc if theres anyway i can increase my abilities im all for it. any suggestions are welcome! thanks!!!

oh and i already play video games, so no need to mention that :) thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,
i was wondering if there is anything you guys do to increase your finger/hand dexterity and agility. like flipping a poker chip in between your fingers back and forth...(got that one from scrubs, but anyways) im just curious, bc if theres anyway i can increase my abilities im all for it. any suggestions are welcome! thanks!!!

oh and i already play video games, so no need to mention that :) thanks again!

I can think of something that I bet alot of the guys do.......:rolleyes:

I can think of something that I bet alot of the guys do.......:rolleyes:

:laugh:

I'm years from being a surgeon, but I've been playing guitar and violin since puberty. That may give me some advantage later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of practice - using instruments (with either hand), knot-tying, suturing, etc. LOTS of practice. :)

You either got it or you don't. You can improve by practicing but you'll never be as good as someone to who it comes naturally. It's one of those things that separate the elite surgeons who even other surgeons are in awe of their technique from the rest.

You either got it or you don't. You can improve by practicing but you'll never be as good as someone to who it comes naturally. It's one of those things that separate the elite surgeons who even other surgeons are in awe of their technique from the rest.

Wow, that's helpful. You must be one of those naturally gifted ones...:rolleyes:

Please be kidding.

Disagree with above. Someone who is average and ties one hundred practice knots before going to bed each night will look better in the OR than a talented person who doesn't work at it. Yes, eventually by the end of residency, natural ability starts separating the good from the great, but early in anyones surgical residency its practice, practice, practice.

Disagree with above. Someone who is average and ties one hundred practice knots before going to bed each night will look better in the OR than a talented person who doesn't work at it. Yes, eventually by the end of residency, natural ability starts separating the good from the great, but early in anyones surgical residency its practice, practice, practice.

well of course if a talented person doesn't cultivate his talent then he will not be as good as the person without as much talent but who does practice a lot. that's why they call it "wasted talent". but the talented person who does practice will outdo the guy without talent no matter how much the second guy practices.

that's why there's only one tiger woods, michael jordan, mozart, einstein, etc. they had the talent and maximized it. other people who didn't have the natural ability as them in their respective field, no matter how hard they "practiced", could never match them.