Hall's Anesthesia Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swpm

Now with extra snarkiness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Amazon reviews are all 5 stars. How do the questions compare to the real deal? The look inside feature at Amazon only shows the first few pages which are all physics and equipment questions.

Also, are there any old AKT tests or questions out there, or at least a list of keywords for each one?

Finally, to you crystal ball owners, what are the chances that archaic and obsolete garbage will appear on the ABA written in coming years? I'm talking mostly about drugs like rapacuronium, methoxyflurane, even halothane, but also copper kettles etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hall's book is pretty good. One of the best IMHO.
Archaic stuff seems to take a few years to disappear. Copper kettle seems to be gone as is methoxyflurane. Rapacuronium seems to still be hanging on. Probably not much longer though. Enflurane questions still seem to pop up sporadically. K-types will be a thing of the past after next year. The test will be A-types, M-types, and G-sets. I always forget which is which, but A-type is single best answer and the other two are:
2-3 questions related to one stem scenario and a large set(A-L) with 2-3 questions in a matching type question where the choices may be used once, more than once, or not at all.
Hope this helps.

I love Hall!

I did really well on the boards with reading Mikail and Morgan all the way thru and then spending the last month doing Hall and old tests. By the way you can order five years worth of old board exams from the ABA. They are 10 bucks each. And they come with the answers. I had a bunch of questions that were very similar and then some that were even word for word. I figure they can only ask so many questions.

That is what worked for me. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Hall!

I did really well on the boards with reading Mikail and Morgan all the way thru and then spending the last month doing Hall and old tests. By the way you can order five years worth of old board exams from the ABA. They are 10 bucks each. And they come with the answers. I had a bunch of questions that were very similar and then some that were even word for word. I figure they can only ask so many questions.

That is what worked for me. Good luck.

I went to the ABA website but couldn't really find any information on how to order the old board questions.
Wondering how to find them

Sorry, I meant the ASA website. It is under forms and publications.

Are K type questions really going to be a part of the past?? I cant stand those questions... Just wondering if anyone knew anything. Thanks

yes, K-types will disappear. I believe they will be on the test this summer, but gone after that.

The volitiles section is a bit rough though.

Rough how? Irrelevant or obsolete questions? Riddled with factual errors? Or just difficult?

I just ordered a copy, so I guess I'll see for myself soon.