Halfway through SMP - apply this summer or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zach123!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I started an SMP this past semester and ended with a 3.6 through 15 credits. I have 15 credits left (4 science classes) for the fall, but was wondering if I should risk it and apply now? I know I could always update my application and send out "update letters" to schools that haven't rejected my come December, but just unsure if it is worth applying this summer.

Background:
** I am a reapplicant **
3.1cGPA, 3.0 AACOMAS sGPA, 2.7 AMCAS sGPA - sizable upward trend while working fulltime in undergrad.
3.6 graduate GPA (1 semester left with easier classes) in SMP
503 MCAT (124/126/126/127)
ORM, Florida native

- 5000 clinical employment hours
- 8000 nonclinical employment hours
- 400 shadowing hours
- 300 hours of volunteering at local assisted living facility

What do you guys think? Apply and update after the semester, or wait until next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Finish the SMP first. Don't count on schools looking at your new grades after December.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 1000%. A single good SMP semester isn't enough data points for reinvention.

Apply when you are 100% ready, even if it means skipping the app cycle.
I feel relatively confident I could garner at least some interest from DO schools, but do believe I would be selling myself short by rushing too apply this cycle. Just need to remember that it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
I feel relatively confident I could garner at least some interest from DO schools, but do believe I would be selling myself short by rushing too apply this cycle. Just need to remember that it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Thank you
Even if you finish with great grades, you will need to improve your MCAT to get more than just DO schools or in-state MD. You have several reasons to wait another cycle.

Even if you finish with great grades, you will need to improve your MCAT to get more than just DO schools or in-state MD. You have several reasons to wait another cycle.
Understood! But I have zero issue with solely applying to DO schools - do you think I would be competitive for them? I think I will end up waiting regardless but just wondering if that is a legitimate option.