Had a rough interview.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

sumdaponda

So, about two months ago I had what I thought was a particularly hard interview at a school that is classic for easy interviews. Some of my questions from my 2-on-1 interview include:

Define professionalism. Relate to medicine.
What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom? Provide an example using current events.
Describe an ethical dilemma and how you dealt.

...and to top it off, as I was leaving, I was handed a sheet with a bunch of fractions on it, and asked which one was the smallest number. Needless to say I was freaked out. :confused:

But...I just found out I was accepted! So DONT FREAK OUT IF YOU HAD A HARD INTERVIEW!!! Stay positive.

Oh yeah, and SDN rocks!!

Members don't see this ad.

What school was it?

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. Congratulations, I would have been freaked out by those questions too.

Those questions suck! I would be sweating bullets. I agree, though, you can think that your interview was less than stellar and still get in. Here was my situation at a particular school:

During my first interview:
I realized, after pontificating on a very political topic, that the interviewer clearly disagreed with me. Great, score one for me!

During the second interview:
Halfway through, my interviewer answers the phone and proceeds to talk for the next 15 minutes (I'm not kidding, it was that long) on the phone about admitting some patient. When he got off the phone, he turned to me and said, "Well, I guess that's about it. Do you have anything else to add?" and that was the end of the interview.

I figured I had no shot at getting into this school - and then yesterday I got my acceptance! Unbelievable.

Originally posted by sumdaponda
Oh yeah, and one of the interviewers was a dean.

This sounds suspiciously like U-Illinois. I got the same questions but not the fraction worksheet.

Originally posted by bosox03
What school was it?

I don't want to say which school, because I don't want to freak anyone out for what should be a laidback interview. My situation was definitely atypical.

...I will tell you though that it wasn't in North Carolina. :)

Congrats on the acceptance ATPase! I'm glad to see there are more people out there who survived interview hell and came out on top.:D

Originally posted by ATPase
During the second interview:
Halfway through, my interviewer answers the phone and proceeds to talk for the next 15 minutes (I'm not kidding, it was that long) on the phone about admitting some patient. When he got off the phone, he turned to me and said, "Well, I guess that's about it. Do you have anything else to add?" and that was the end of the interview.

I figured I had no shot at getting into this school - and then yesterday I got my acceptance! Unbelievable.

Actually, as long as you didn't mess up, this kind of interview isn't anything to be afraid of. In fact, that wasted time might have let you off the hook for some harder questions.

Congratulations on the acceptance :clap:

sounds like some of the questions MSU asked....ahh the memories...;) but i know its not them because you said it was a 2-1 interview.

but at least you got in so yay.

Originally posted by sumdaponda
So, about two months ago I had what I thought was a particularly hard interview at a school that is classic for easy interviews. Some of my questions from my 2-on-1 interview include:

Define professionalism. Relate to medicine.
What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom? Provide an example using current events.
Describe an ethical dilemma and how you dealt.

...and to top it off, as I was leaving, I was handed a sheet with a bunch of fractions on it, and asked which one was the smallest number. Needless to say I was freaked out. :confused:

But...I just found out I was accepted! So DONT FREAK OUT IF YOU HAD A HARD INTERVIEW!!! Stay positive.

Oh yeah, and SDN rocks!!