Had 1 interview but heard nothing else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljw8993

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've applied to 14 programs. I heard back from one and interviewed for that yesterday. I haven't heard anything from the others...neither rejections nor to set up dates. Are they waiting for the 15th? Should I do something or is it still too early? My grades aren't amazing but I haven't failed anything, passed Step 1 and 2 on the first try. And if it makes a difference I'm DO but only applying to DO programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty are you applying to? IMHO, I don't think 14 programs is an adequate number of programs to apply to if you only have "average" stats. I know the DO cycle opened a while ago, why would they be waiting till the 15th to send out more interviews?

What specialty are you applying to? IMHO, I don't think 14 programs is an adequate number of programs to apply to if you only have "average" stats. I know the DO cycle opened a while ago, why would they be waiting till the 15th to send out more interviews?
Because, for incomprehensible reasons, even though the DO application cycle opens earlier, MSPE's are delayed until Oct 15th instead of Oct 1.

Nuts.

Still, I agree that applying more broadly makes sense.

Will I at least get notified from places if they aren't interested? There's one site where I did two months there, one as a third year, and was "sure" I'd at least get an interview. Only good thing I've heard is that everyone else I've spoken to who applied there as well hasn't heard anything. Still, maybe all of us aren't getting interviews there...who knows.

Some send rejection emails, some send waiting list emails, and most may never get back to you.

I wouldn't say most. But it's not rare. I think out of the 10 of so "rejections" I got, more than half were actual rejections while 3 or 4 of them were just the silent treatment.

Please don't miss the point that people are making about applying more broadly though. Please. Please. Please.

Will I at least get notified from places if they aren't interested? There's one site where I did two months there, one as a third year, and was "sure" I'd at least get an interview. Only good thing I've heard is that everyone else I've spoken to who applied there as well hasn't heard anything. Still, maybe all of us aren't getting interviews there...who knows.

You never addressed which specialty you were applying to and i hope you definitely understand the whole "applying more broadly" element. That's the most important thing that you should be focusing on instead of how and when you will be rejected.

I am in your same position. I have already applied to 30 programs so I doubt applying more broadly would help. I'm applying to IM and EM programs so not even anything extremely competitive.

I feel that my situation is entirely and completely screwed. I got an unexpectedly bad Step2 score (just barely passing despite doing well on COMSAE) and now I feel there is nothing I can do to fix this. Even at the end of my audition rotations they simply tell me "you are not on the interview list, sorry". I am simply going to be filtered away into oblivion. Every day is another day of my own self-built hell. Such is life, eh? I feel there is nothing to do but wait to fail to match.

apply to a ton more programs. Today. And by a ton I mean at least 50 noncompetitive places. Otherwise you sit around, don't match, and then hope you can find a prelim spot (which may be hard to do this year).

I am in your same position. I have already applied to 30 programs so I doubt applying more broadly would help. I'm applying to IM and EM programs so not even anything extremely competitive.
I feel that my situation is entirely and completely screwed. I got an unexpectedly bad Step2 score (just barely passing despite doing well on COMSAE) and now I feel there is nothing I can do to fix this. Even at the end of my audition rotations they simply tell me "you are not on the interview list, sorry". I am simply going to be filtered away into oblivion. Every day is another day of my own self-built hell. Such is life, eh? I feel there is nothing to do but wait to fail to match.

EM is pretty competitive these days. The stats say that American MDs need about 10 interviews in EM to have a 99% chance of matching, so I would say that as a DO, even if you've applied to 15 EM programs, you really should add more programs if you still want to try for EM.
When you were told you wouldn't be getting an interview at these places you rotated at, do you have a good feel for whether it was based on your score or did anything happen on your rotations that might have made a negative impression? If you think it's all about the score, I would definitely try applying to a lot more programs in the hope of finding some programs that might be willing to see past the score.

Is there anyone in the EM dept at your school who has been guiding you about where to apply? Anyone you can try talking to about where you might have a chance and about programs that past graduates are at where you might possibly be able to make a connection?

If you feel like you have no chance of getting an IM or EM spot, the best thing you can do to salvage things in my view would be to apply to some internship spots (TRIs if you're solely focusing on the DO match, but if you're also applying to allopathic programs, focus on medicine prelim years since you'd get pulled out of the MD match and lose your chance at any MD programs if you matched to a DO TRI spot). The benefit of applying to internships now is that gives you the chance to focus on places that have an EM or IM program in-house rather than desperately taking anything in the scramble/SOAP. An internship at a place with these residencies might give you another chance to make connections and hone your clinical skills with the hope of getting another chance next year.

you applying DO only?

it seems you must be sucking on your auditions too. DO programs tend to forgive poor scores if you're good clinically, hardworking, likeable, etc. They'll interview you. They may not take you but that's a different point altogether.

if you've only applied to 30 for IM and EM total that aint broad enough. There's lots of IM programs, apply to 'em. EM is competitive in the DO world too, but I'd look into some of those smaller EM programs out in MI or PA and see if you could get in at one of 'em.

everything had been going swimmingly, I got along with the PD and aPD and everyone else. The residents invite me out to do things. It honestly caught me off guard. I'm going to try to arrange a meeting with the PD to see if I just got filtered or whatever, but I have low hopes. Begging is certainly not a good start to getting ranked.

I will apply to more places, but then I'm applying to a lot of out of state distant places and if I do get interviews it will be hard to follow through on them due to the distance.

I've thought about the TRI year, but my understanding is that doing a traditional rotating year actually makes you less competitive when you apply again.

The whole thing pretty much sucks and at this point I would be pleased just to have interviews anywhere in anything.

i wouldn't gauge (or trust) your experience based on residents inviting you out to do things. hell, it happens more than you think. doesn't mean jack ****. also, DO PDs (moreso than MD PDs, but they can too of course) are known to play their own games too, so be careful.

depends.

i.e. there's only what, 12-13 DO anesthesia programs?

apply to more programs but do it NOW. There's no magic date but alot of programs start shutting down towards november with all the holidays and everything and they tend to focus more on teh interviews they have to do etc.

14 programs is too few unless you are a top 5% candidate around the country.

Apply now.

I would still say that 30 programs total is not enough. I have multiple friends who have applied to ALL of the DO EM programs because EM is extremely competitive. Have you sat down with anyone in your school to discuss this because it seems like you were not adequately informed about the competitiveness of the match.

I will apply to more places, but then I'm applying to a lot of out of state distant places and if I do get interviews it will be hard to follow through on them due to the distance.

I've thought about the TRI year, but my understanding is that doing a traditional rotating year actually makes you less competitive when you apply again.

Yeah....distance can not and should not be an excuse to go interviews at this stage of your career. You've already worked so hard to get to this point, that it is irresponsible to consider not going to an interview because of a few dollars and miles. Not taking advantage of opportunities given to you basically gives you no right to complain if you don't match.

And what makes you less competitive, is being out of medicine for a full year. Programs want residents that have been practicing clinically before starting their program...even if that means going the TY route.

Sometimes if you explain the situation to your attending they'll let you go to an interview even if you've exhausted the amount of time you're officially allowed off. It's critical to try to get as many interviews as possible. As an alumnus of your school I can tell you they weren't really that much help when I had to scramble (though they were sympathetic they didn't have anything else to offer really) so you really need to look out for yourself and be as proactive as you can be about making sure you have a place to go for internship.

It's not an issue of money so much as time. Our school restricts the amount of time we can take off from rotations to do interviews, and I have rotations scheduled through December 16 or so.

Your school sucks (although it is unfortunately not alone in this stupid policy). You have basically 3 jobs as a 4th year med student:
1. Do SubI's/Away's to get awesome LORs
2. Find a job for next year (i.e., apply, interview, match)
3. Get as much downtime as you can before intern year

Any school that doesn't support those goals, doesn't support it's students, and needs to be called on their bulls***.

This of course helps you in no tangible way other than perhaps for moral support.

Your school sucks (although it is unfortunately not alone in this stupid policy). You have basically 3 jobs as a 4th year med student:
1. Do SubI's/Away's to get awesome LORs
2. Find a job for next year (i.e., apply, interview, match)
3. Get as much downtime as you can before intern year

Any school that doesn't support those goals, doesn't support it's students, and needs to be called on their bulls***.

This of course helps you in no tangible way other than perhaps for moral support.

I agree 100%. I'm so grateful to have the 4th year experience that I had. Interviewing is way more important than any BS 4th year rotation requirement.

Don't forget that you can take USMLE Step 2. It won't help you this year, but if you match to only a TRI or prelim, you should seriously consider taking it before internship starts. If you do well, you can show how you've improved.

You didn't mention whether the 15 prog's you applied to were allo or osteo. You're not going to get much love from allo IM or EM programs with a very low COMLEX score.

Applying to FM might help, as they tend to be less competitive. But you need to be reasonably certain you'd be happy in FM, as transferring to another specialty is not easy.