GW and Georgetown Derm Departments, Worth applying there for derm hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doublecortin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

So I read that GW and Georgetown are shutting down their derm residency programs. Since making contacts and doing research with top derm people is important for getting into residency, should I even bother applying to those schools for class of 2008 if I am hellbent on going into derm?

thanks for any comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

So I read that GW and Georgetown are shutting down their derm residency programs. Since making contacts and doing research with top derm people is important for getting into residency, should I even bother applying to those schools for class of 2008 if I am hellbent on going into derm?

thanks for any comments!

Applying for graduating class of 2008 for residency or for starting med school?
I'll assume starting med school since your status is premed. Yes go to where ever you can get in to med school, and if it has a good derm program go there. Only thing is you might change your mind as to what specialty, I know I did several times before I was 100% derm, so just keep an open mind. As far as I know georgetown combined their derm program with Washington Hospital, so if you went to one of these schools you could still make contacts and do research with derm people.

If you want some gossip/disscusion on the subject go here:

http://p220.ezboard.com/Georgetown-...ermatologyfrm35.showMessage?topicID=709.topic

With that board you need to take into consideration most posters aren't registered so you don't know where your 411 is coming from. You have to consider there might be applicants who post inflammatory stuff to try to get others not to apply so that they can more easily get the spot, sad but possibly true.