Guys...What is next? FEEDBACK NEEDED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaySmoove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
whats up fam! I stated a new thread a few months ago (before the fall semester started) entitled, "advice on my next move". In that thread, I told you guys what my current GPA was (2.8) and and that I planned on retaking some classes before I graduated. Everyone pretty much said to "kick ass" on the MCAT and in the classroom this fall and spring. I can certainly say that I did just that this semester. Prior to this semester I had a 2.8 and now I have a 3.1. I retook general Bio and got an A. I retook general Chemistry and got an A. I took Orgo I for the first time and got an A. And I took an upper division biology class and got an A also. (4.0 guys!!) I'll do the same next semester and on the MCAT. I have one major concern though. THE AMCAS GPA. they are going to MURDER my GPA. Im probably looking at having about a 2.8 after they finish with it. Will this matter much considering the huge jump in academic performance?
Yo, the 2.8 isn't a death sentence, especially if there is a good reason for it. You are definitely on a good start. Try to get as many 4.0s as possible to show that you have the intellectual capacity to handle a med school curriculum, and that you've already been exposed to the material so it should be easier for you the 2nd time around.

I had a 2.8 for my first couple years of college due to some pretty mitigating circumstances. To make up for my academic mediocrity, I decided to get 4.0s from then on and even stayed an extra year so my AMCAS would reflect sustained As in my most medically relevant courses (Ochem, biochem, immuno, genetics, hem/onc etc.) I ended up pulling my gpa from a 2.8 to a 3.35.

Do your best on the MCAT. Although each school judges it's importance differently, a good score will only help you.

Make sure the rest of your app is on point (LORs, PS, ECs) and apply smart. In my experience, strategy is as important as academic competence. Good luck boss and scream at me if I can be of further service.

Congratulations on kicking some ***** this semester. Keep it up. I had the same issue and did the same thing as Flaahless & it has worked out well for me so far. The numbers are important but the breakdown is just as important, if not more so. Continue to do your thang and don't worry too much about what AMCAS will do. Just make sure there are no other holes in your app (great LORS & PS & amazing ECs) & do your bestest on the MCAT. Then you can sit back and reap the benefits of all your hard work!

Also, if most of your troubles were freshman year, I have found school are more understanding of this since almost everybody has some growing pains frosh year. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on kicking some ***** this semester. Keep it up. I had the same issue and did the same thing as Flaahless & it has worked out well for me so far. The numbers are important but the breakdown is just as important, if not more so. Continue to do your thang and don't worry too much about what AMCAS will do. Just make sure there are no other holes in your app (great LORS & PS & amazing ECs) & do your bestest on the MCAT. Then you can sit back and reap the benefits of all your hard work!

Also, if most of your troubles were freshman year, I have found school are more understanding of this since almost everybody has some growing pains frosh year. :luck:

Agreed :thumbup:. Ride this positive momentum and let it cause a spillover effect into the other aspects of your app. Congrats. You will be fine.

ditto. I had the exact same problem, and AMCAS did butcher my gpa. However, schools really do look at grade trends, and it seems that you have overcome what held you back in your freshman year.

What you may also want to do (just a thought), is journal about what happened in those others semesters that led to your 2.8 gpa. Then, use that information in your personal statement, secondary essays, or in your interviews. I would think this would make your positive transition clear. I did that for my personal statement.

whats up fam! I stated a new thread a few months ago (before the fall semester started) entitled, "advice on my next move". In that thread, I told you guys what my current GPA was (2.8) and and that I planned on retaking some classes before I graduated. Everyone pretty much said to "kick ass" on the MCAT and in the classroom this fall and spring. I can certainly say that I did just that this semester. Prior to this semester I had a 2.8 and now I have a 3.1. I retook general Bio and got an A. I retook general Chemistry and got an A. I took Orgo I for the first time and got an A. And I took an upper division biology class and got an A also. (4.0 guys!!) I'll do the same next semester and on the MCAT. I have one major concern though. THE AMCAS GPA. they are going to MURDER my GPA. Im probably looking at having about a 2.8 after they finish with it. Will this matter much considering the huge jump in academic performance?
Ok, so they will see the trend in your grades, but in the end if they are comparing your 2.8 science GPA (or whatever) to another persons 3.7 GPA you won't be looked at as favorably. I say that to remind you that the application process may be a frustrating process; but besides that your GPA is not everything. So with a good MCAT, good ECs, some research, and a good PS that should help your case.

So what is next? I think you have to prove to them that that semester was an abberant case and that you can do consistantly well in science classes. So it would be good to aim for an A in all of your science classes that you have left to take. After that, the MCAT will be very very important for you; so pour your all into it. And if you are a person of faith (like me) then PRAY! It did miracles for me and my wife. So that is my .02.

P.S.- And when you apply, YOU BETTER MAKE SURE THAT YOUR APPLICATION IS THE BLOODY FIRST APPLICATION TO BE SUBMITTED TO EVERY SCHOOL THAT YOU APPLY TO. I can't tell you enough how applying early will help your case.

Congratulations on getting your stuff taken care of for the past semester. As others have said, keep that momentum going. Yes, everything is averaged together for the cumulative uGPA on AMCAS but your coursework is listed semester to semester. Your schools will be able to see that you make a complete turnaround.

The next thing is that you have to score well on the MCAT. Doing this is generally more difficult than it sounds. It's not about just getting good grades in your coursework but doing some solid and disciplined preparation for this very important exam. The MCAT does not test in the same manner that your undergraduate coursework tests you.

The MCAT requires that you have a solid knowledge base and a thorough grounding and experience with the type of questions that are asked on this test. Many people have gone into this test believing that they are solid on knowledge only to find that they don't know how to apply that knowledge on the MCAT. Prepare well and prepare thoroughly.

Lastly, you can't change your grades. You can keep doing what you are doing but complaining about things that you can't change isn't going to help you much. Keep on a positive path and PRAY as Doctajay recommended. You don't know the future but you can affect the way that you "wrap your head" around that challenges that lay ahead for you. I can tell you that you don't need (or want) any negativity dragging you down.

As flaahless told you, people (such as himself) get off to a slow start, change and adjust and then achieve success. Put yourself in the best possible situation to achieve success. The road is long but if you want this, you will put your long-term goal where you can see it daily and keep moving forward in a positive manner.