Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've started using it. I was wondering, do you guys take notes along with GT/FC or do you just try and bank as many items as possible so that you can see them over and over?

Members don't see this ad :)
So has Firecracker addressed the issues with the algorithm that have been highlighted on the forum? Have the techs addressed the issues with errors being non- reportable? Is the spaced-learning more manageable now? I feel finally ready to try it out this summer (after M1), but I am unsure about going all-in on a program amidst such criticism.

If you are interested, just go for it. There is no magic study formula, and you must weigh the pros and the cons as they have been laid out in this thread. If you do enough research into how people study for step 1, you will find out that everyone has their own opinion, and they believe that their way is the right way. For them, it probably is, but everyone has their own preferences and learning style. The key to figuring out what will work and what won't is knowing yourself. That's why I suggest that you just go for it if you think it will work.

I will definitely form my own opinion, but I was hoping for you to be subjective about the aforementioned issues.

You guys use the "add your own topic" or "add your own card" functions?

I feel like they are great options and features but I think adding on too much makes it less and less high-yield than they already are. All I do is add notes to the topics already there.

But still, great idea to have!

So has Firecracker addressed the issues with the algorithm that have been highlighted on the forum? Have the techs addressed the issues with errors being non- reportable? Is the spaced-learning more manageable now? I feel finally ready to try it out this summer (after M1), but I am unsure about going all-in on a program amidst such criticism.

I prefer anki by a huge margin.

But I think if you can go 100% on GT and do a pass of Uworld during M2 and during your dedicated, you will dominate.

It's just preference

Finding doing a pass through FC, one flagged card at a time, referencing FA along the way, SO clutch as I approach Step1......

Has anyone studied the step 2 material in firecracker? I'm about to start M3 in a month and i would really like to know what you guys think about the new material...

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks very first-draft-y with many typos...doesn't look ready for prime time imo
Well i just spent two hours going over the step 2 firecracker surgery material and the pestana notes and skimmed through Pestana's kaplan videos. Firecracker covered almost ALL of the material presented in the video and pdf. Now i don't know about the rest of the step 2 material but as far as surgery goes firecracker is EXCELLENT! Can't wait to start my surgery clerkship in 2 weeks.

Are any of you unflagging topics as you approach higher totaly banked % in order to decrease daily load a bit?

I'm about 70 days from my test date. Every daily review I have now I am making sure I know the card, and if I know I won't forget it (really simple ones so far), I'll 5 it and move it out to the maximum 120 days. The rest I will let cycle from here to test date since I want to see them again and they will be useful when I enter dedicated review (next week).

Doesn't unflagging it lower the %completions and all that? I want to try to go for 100% :cool:
I could also perfect recall it, but either way I guess I'm essentially doing the same thing.

Well i just spent two hours going over the step 2 firecracker surgery material and the pestana notes and skimmed through Pestana's kaplan videos. Firecracker covered almost ALL of the material presented in the video and pdf. Now i don't know about the rest of the step 2 material but as far as surgery goes firecracker is EXCELLENT! Can't wait to start my surgery clerkship in 2 weeks.

Good call; surgery looks pretty good.

quick question--is there any sort of demo video or something for FC? If not, would anyone be willing to make a short video just sort of giving a tour of FC? I know it's a bit of a stretch but figured it'd be worth asking! Thanks in advance!

I think FC is pretty low yield as it is; it almost certainly isn't worth it to look at any Step 2 material.
Are you kidding me? I just compared the pestana surgery notes to the step 2 surgery material. Firecracker covered more than 90% of Pestana's notes!

Did Firecracker get rid of the system where you could referring new members for an additional month?

Just wanna say the site now has a mobile version, and it's pretty sweet for doing questions on the bus or in lines. It's definitely gonna help me keep on top of the review qs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Firecracker + Picmonic is a dangerous combination for learning all those stupid bugs. :thumbup:

With very little to no introduction to a microbe in class, I'm learning 5 bugs a day with decent mastery - I always put 1 or 2 at first to make sure that it's not just coming from short-term memory, but if I know it the next time around I'll go ahead and put 3 or 4.

Firecracker + Picmonic is a dangerous combination for learning all those stupid bugs. :thumbup:

With very little to no introduction to a microbe in class, I'm learning 5 bugs a day with decent mastery - I always put 1 or 2 at first to make sure that it's not just coming from short-term memory, but if I know it the next time around I'll go ahead and put 3 or 4.

I'm doing the same thing. It's surprisingly effective. I pretty much lucked out by only paying 100$ for two years because of their student ambassador program.

I'm doing the same thing. It's surprisingly effective. I pretty much lucked out by only paying 100$ for two years because of their student ambassador program.

True statement. Have you tried it with pharm yet?

This is a great combination - and each might have information that the other doesn't. I'm trying to consolidate.

True statement. Have you tried it with pharm yet?

This is a great combination - and each might have information that the other doesn't. I'm trying to consolidate.
I have only done antibiotics up until now. Antibiotics was the first section i banked with firecracker when i first started the program two months ago.

That's an awesome deal. Definitely going to be using the FC/picmonic combo. Are most of both of their discounts found out through your school, or do they regularly post about promotional pricing on their website/Facebook?

That's an awesome deal. Definitely going to be using the FC/picmonic combo. Are most of both of their discounts found out through your school, or do they regularly post about promotional pricing on their website/Facebook?

They had a promotion that expired two weeks ago. They were giving the first 10000 subscribers a two year subscription for a hundred dollars on condition we agree to tell them our scores once they come out. Obviously nothing's binding and you can just bull**** any score you want to report to them.
I'm pretty sure if you send them an email explaining you would like to join the ambassador program you might get lucky with a discount.

Have none of the FC users taken the Step 1 so far this year? I would love to read more recent review of how people thought GT/FC helped their Step performance!

I posted a detailed test/study experience on the 2013 Step 1 forum. Here is a link to it

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13985631#post13985631

In short, GT/FC was probably the most important, shortly ahead of UW, or tied with UW. All other resources were far behind these two for helping me. I got a 266.

Has anyone not going to a P/F school been able to successfully use FC? It sounds great, but I just don't know if I'll have the time to make it worthwhile.

I will be an MS2 next year.

Has anyone not going to a P/F school been able to successfully use FC? It sounds great, but I just don't know if I'll have the time to make it worthwhile.

I will be an MS2 next year.

I just finished MS2 and have been using GT/FC throughout MS2 as my primary source. Including over class notes and lectures... (though this may be a dangerous thing to do, depending on your school; feel it out). However, this is often what is required in order to fit the thing into your schedule and keep at it IMO, and which is why it might not be the best for everyone. For me, it's paid off. I've scored higher than the average (~1 SD) on everything since then. I wish I got it sooner because I don't remember much from MS1, so the bulk of what I "actually" need to study is Anatomy and Neuro. But my experience has almost been identical to his, which I hope is a good sign, but not one to underestimate the test and give me a big head just because I'm on a good pace. I still have a long time for prep and have not yet started on qbanks (well, I've started Kaplan before I do UWorld and did about 4-5 blocks of questions, but stopped for classes...scoring about 60-70%. Will resume again now that I'm on dedicated study time).

Oh actually had a content question. Could someone please explain this:

During a cosmetic surgery, a patient becomes hypotensive and requires multiple boluses of epinephrine to maintain her blood pressure. The patient is known to have rheumatoid arthritis and takes prednisone but has no other medical issues. She reported no medical allergies. Surgical blood loss has been minimal. What may explain this sudden hypotension?

A The patient had unrecognized bleeding
B The patient had a pulmonary embolus
C The patient had an unspecified anaphylactic reaction
D The patient had an adrenal crisis
E The patient suffered a pericardial effusion

Answer
Patients who are on long-term steroid therapy may present with an adrenal crisis if they acutely stop taking their steroids or become acutely stressed. Acute stressors include infection, surgery, and injury. In the above situation, unexplained intraoperative hypotension in an individual taking long term steroids is concerning for adrenal crisis.

...Something's not clicking but I honestly don't know why this is the answer.

------------------------------------

Also:

A 66-year-old Jewish male presents with progressively worsening pain in his right hand. His symptoms are unrelated to ambient temperature or the time of day. His past medical history is significant for hypertension, diabetes type II, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He has been a one-pack-a-day smoker for over 30 years. On exam, he has intact light touch and proprioception over the majority of both the upper and lower extremities, but the fingertips of his right hand are cyanotic. The tip of his right fifth digit is black and insensate. What is the diagnosis?

A Electrolyte disturbance
B Diabetic neuropathy
C Thromboangiitis obliterans
D Peripheral vascular disease
E Raynaud's disease

Answer
Thromboangiitis obliterans (aka Buerger' disease), is a painful ischemic disease that can lead to claudication and gangrene of the hands and feet. It most often occurs in Jewish males who have long smoking histories. It is a segmental thrombosing vasculitis that affects small and medium arteries.

Diabetic neuropathy would have decreased sensation/proprioception on both hands in a glove like distribution. Peripheral vascular disease can also result in claudication and gangrene, but this is more commonly seen in the lower extremities and is associated with loss of light touch sensation early in the disease course. Raynaud's disease is recurrent vasospasm of small arteries, with finger pallor and cyanosis that worsens during cold weather.

> Just to clarify: according to FA and Pathoma, Raynaud phenomenon IS associated with the Buerger's. Yet, the patient was cyanotic of his fingers, but unrelated to temperature (=not Raynaud)... why then were his fingers cyanotic? Or do they just mean that it should be Raynaud phenomenon (which it is) and Raynaud DISEASE (the answer choice) is indeed incorrect. But then, shouldn't it still be temperature sensitive? lol, hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I just finished MS2 and have been using GT/FC throughout MS2 as my primary source. Including over class notes and lectures... (though this may be a dangerous thing to do, depending on your school; feel it out). However, this is often what is required in order to fit the thing into your schedule and keep at it IMO, and which is why it might not be the best for everyone. For me, it's paid off. I've scored higher than the average (~1 SD) on everything since then. I wish I got it sooner because I don't remember much from MS1, so the bulk of what I "actually" need to study is Anatomy and Neuro. But my experience has almost been identical to his, which I hope is a good sign, but not one to underestimate the test and give me a big head just because I'm on a good pace. I still have a long time for prep and have not yet started on qbanks (well, I've started Kaplan before I do UWorld and did about 4-5 blocks of questions, but stopped for classes...scoring about 60-70%. Will resume again now that I'm on dedicated study time).

My predicament is that I won't be able to use FC over the class material. Our pre-clinical curriculum is pretty hardcore, and if second year is anything like first year, the only way to do consistently well on exams is to know the class material inside and out. Would it be possible to supplement my studying with FC, or should I just try a different approach, like a FA anki deck or something?

I posted a detailed test/study experience on the 2013 Step 1 forum. Here is a link to it

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13985631#post13985631

In short, GT/FC was probably the most important, shortly ahead of UW, or tied with UW. All other resources were far behind these two for helping me. I got a 266.

Thanks, I read what you wrote when you posted that and really appreciated it!

I'm trying to compile the posts of all the FC users and see what they have to say and see how they used the program through medical school. I'm waiting to read withrye's write-up, but he seemed iffy about doing one

Thanks, I read what you wrote when you posted that and really appreciated it!

I'm trying to compile the posts of all the FC users and see what they have to say and see how they used the program through medical school. I'm waiting to read withrye's write-up, but he seemed iffy about doing one

If you could make a post of all the posts that would be excellent...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Would appreciate some concept clarification on those two questions I asked a few posts back.

plssss :-D

Also, how'd you guys study for Anatomy? It's like the big section that I haven't tackled yet, and that's what I'll be doing this week. Is FC sufficient (with FA)? I also have Kaplan vids and HY Anatomy book...

Last edited:
As I said a few posts ago, I'm thinking of trying out FC.

More than a few people have mentioned using FC and placing FC cards into Anki---thoughts on this? Is it overkill?

Also, Is FC's algorithm like Anki now since 'the migration'?

Also also, out of curiosity, how many cards does FC have?

As I said a few posts ago, I'm thinking of trying out FC.

More than a few people have mentioned using FC and placing FC cards into Anki---thoughts on this? Is it overkill?

Also, Is FC's algorithm like Anki now since 'the migration'?

Also also, out of curiosity, how many cards does FC have?

- IMO, it's overkill. FC cards have an option to add their own cards, concepts, and write notes on cards already there. I don't use Anki, but now FC has improved to where Anki is kind of redundant if you already have FC. And if you are using FC the way it should be used, I don't know where you can find the time for anything else lol.

- I haven't reverted back to the FC adaptive algorithm since the change. I am on fixed spacing as I approach test date. I basically set the max rating to about 25 days from now, and if I'm sure I know a question/card I will "never see it again" or simply just set it out to a date past test day.

- FC has 1121 cards on Step 1 material. I only have about 70% banked, still working, but my total questions are something like 5600~ . Somebody posted totals earlier in this thread.

I'm thinking about doing FC during the summer to cover all the course material from M1.

Has anyone been in this particular situation? Is it feasible?

If you're going to start FC, that is probably the best time to do it (besides actually during MS1). I spent that break after MS1 with physiology and biochem. I wish I got more done then because now I'm focusing on putting anatomy in, and there is a crapload of it. IMO The best way is to focus on all the memorization-heavy material first, because you will see those in your daily review for the longer time if you start them earlier. Keep this in mind when you (or if you already did) take microbiology.

If you're going to start FC, that is probably the best time to do it (besides actually during MS1). I spent that break after MS1 with physiology and biochem. I wish I got more done then because now I'm focusing on putting anatomy in, and there is a crapload of it. IMO The best way is to focus on all the memorization-heavy material first, because you will see those in your daily review for the longer time if you start them earlier. Keep this in mind when you (or if you already did) take microbiology.

Thanks for your feedback. So you suggest doing Biochem first? Anatomy was my strongest and physio was my worst.

Did you go through all subjects little by little or target 1 and move on to the next?

Haven't done micro yet. (Did micro lab/lecture during undergrad so I have some memory of it...)

Thanks for your feedback. So you suggest doing Biochem first? Anatomy was my strongest and physio was my worst.

Did you go through all subjects little by little or target 1 and move on to the next?

Haven't done micro yet. (Did micro lab/lecture during undergrad so I have some memory of it...)

bump anyone with previous experience?

This is just my experience.

Those subjects with plenty of memorization - Biochem, Micro, and Pharm (IMO the top 3 in no order) have the most to gain from a flashcard-type system because of all the details that are really just about rote memorization most of the time. You flag these first because once they become a part of your daily review you see them more often and really nail the details that otherwise you'd clearly forget.

Next I would say Pathology, simply because it's the highest yield and has the most material in it anyway. Gotta learn the associations somehow. Maybe behavioral sciences or psychiatry too (I used to forget all the criteria for diagnosing...)

Physiology is a very high yield subject but a lot more about understanding. So IMO less about memorizing.

The rest do as you see fit. But IDEALLY you would be banking/flagging subjects are you learn them in class... I just never did that for anything besides Path and Pharm, which is why I had to set my list of priorities like this...