Ground state of Zn2+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silveryhair

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the ground state electron configuration of a Zn2+ ion?

why is the answer:
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10
instead of
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d8?

Also what is the ground state electron configuration of Zn? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure the answer is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s0 3d10. It's more stable when the electrons are knocked off from the 4s subshell and have a completely filled 3d subshell.

What is the ground state electron configuration of a Zn2+ ion?

why is the answer:
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10
instead of
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d8?

Also what is the ground state electron configuration of Zn? Thanks!

The answer is wrong. The correct electron configuration of Zn 2+ is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 or [Ar]3d^10

When two electrons are lost, they are taken from s shell instead of the d shell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but its asking for the GROUND STATE of Zn. They just put in the 2+ to throw you off.

Ever think about becoming an archeologist?

Bahahah. This was one of the first results in my Google search so I figured anyone else searching for something similar might run across this thread :p. And that blatantly incorrect red bolded answer was bugging me.

lol thank you for actually reviving this :) I did not know what I did not know!
If anyone is curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configurations_of_the_elements_(data_page)
I find it weird that P orbitals do not take from S orbitals but D orbitals do. They stay p^5. You don't see d^9.

I am pretty sure it's because the s-subshells and p-subshells have the same principal number ( n ). But because d-subshells are 1 n lower than their neighboring s/p subshells, it's more energetically favorable for atoms to send their electrons down to the lower energy subshell.

*note: electrons are lower in energy the closer they are to the nucleus (it takes energy to separate electrons from the positive charge of nuclear protons; I.e., electrons further from the nucleus are higher in energy).