Gross Anatomy Review Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I need some guidance, and I'll come right out and say it: I despise gross anatomy. I wasn't very enthusiastic about it early on since it was so dry to me. I didn't really develop a study method that worked for me until mid second semester of my first year, after anatomy had already been completed. Needless to say I struggled a bit with it and it has come back to haunt me. On every practice board exam and even in a recent Pre-clinical sciences COMAT I took, Gross Anatomy is and always has been my lowest scoring section. I've been told by my peers that anatomy as a whole is pretty low yield in comparison to other subjects, but honestly I don't buy it. Additionally, anatomy questions seem to be pretty low order, and are "either you know it or you don't" type questions. This makes for easy points if you know it. I really want to work on my gross anatomy to score those easy points and so I don't look like a complete ***** on rotations.

My question is this: What are some good resources to review gross anatomy? Any tips on what specifically to focus on or what to not waste my time on?

I'm not looking to get my PhD in anatomy, I'm really just looking to master the high/medium yield anatomy.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Physeo. They updated their systems lectures and now every single one has 20-40 mins of the HY anatomy you need to know for that system/region

Hello everybody. I need some guidance, and I'll come right out and say it: I despise gross anatomy. I wasn't very enthusiastic about it early on since it was so dry to me. I didn't really develop a study method that worked for me until mid second semester of my first year, after anatomy had already been completed. Needless to say I struggled a bit with it and it has come back to haunt me. On every practice board exam and even in a recent Pre-clinical sciences COMAT I took, Gross Anatomy is and always has been my lowest scoring section. I've been told by my peers that anatomy as a whole is pretty low yield in comparison to other subjects, but honestly I don't buy it. Additionally, anatomy questions seem to be pretty low order, and are "either you know it or you don't" type questions. This makes for easy points if you know it. I really want to work on my gross anatomy to score those easy points and so I don't look like a complete ***** on rotations.

My question is this: What are some good resources to review gross anatomy? Any tips on what specifically to focus on or what to not waste my time on?

I'm not looking to get my PhD in anatomy, I'm really just looking to master the high/medium yield anatomy.

Thanks.

Hey Chris,

The best resource for high yield gross anatomy would be the "100 most important GA concepts" pdf that circles around the internet. There's an Anki deck somewhere on reddit too.

The anatomy on step (and what is high yield for clinical practice) directly relates to patient presentations. They're not going to ask you the "origin of random muscle X". So, knowing what a Pringle maneuver is... or what wrist bone is most likely to be broken in a FOOSH injury is what you need to know. This doc covers that.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks.

If you or anyone else is looking... had teachmeanatomy.info recommended, and think it’s a great concise / HY resource w region summaries broken down by MSK / vasculature / nervous / anatomical triangles with a qbank of 1,800 anatomy related questions. Really happy someone recommended it, think it’s a great resource after using it for a bit.