Grill recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Ok, I know there’s some hardcore grill masters here so I’m looking for some recs.

I’m looking to buy an all purpose grill, initially was thinking I’d go with a pellet grill but currently I’m leaning on a nice gas grill with a green egg.

I’m definitely not a seasoned hardcore grill guy, but I’d like to buy a nice built in grill that will last me a decade of cooking steaks, chicken, burgers/dogs, shrimp, and veggies etc. For the purposes of this thread let’s leave out the slow and low stuff.

Current contenders;

DCS series 9

Lynx Sedona or potentially a professional series (I’m not sure how usable or potentially game-changing having adjustable infrared burners is)

Alfresco/Artisan

Looking for thoughts and personal experience on briquette shape/arrangement, ease of cleaning said briquettes, infrared burner for searing or potentially adjustable infrared zones, etc.

Feel free to educate me

Members don't see this ad.

I have a gas grill, green egg and pellet smoker. The green egg almost never gets used. The egg probably has a higher ceiling as a smoker than the pellet smoker but it’s way more effort/time than I’m willing to commit. If you’re starting out a pellet smoker will give you way more consistent results with less effort.

I also highly recommend getting a natural gas line for your gas grill. Again I’m busy/lazy and don’t want to deal with propane tanks.

So I’d recommend mid to high end natural gas grill for grilling and a pellet smoker for smoking. And of course a Costco membership for the meat.

Reactions: 1 users
Not absolutes, but charcoal probably gives the best taste but is a little more setup. Gas is usually the easiest setup but maybe you sacrifice a little taste. Wood pellets are usually somewhere in the middle. I know very little about infrared. I have a simple Weber propane grill for the convenience and it works great. my wife can cook a delicious steak using an oven and frying pan so sometimes I wonder if I even need the grill :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time BGE user here. I love what I cook on it - Boston butts, briskets, ribs - but it's more work than I like and I probably use it only 5-6 times a year. If you do get a BGE, get a BBQ guru or the BGE device that controls the heat/airflow and maintains the temp right where you want it.

I've got a big Weber gas grill that I use frequently. We had a gas line installed just for it when we built our house. Love the convenience.

I'd actually like to get a good pellet grill since that seems like it's so easy to do the low and slow cooks that I really like. The BGE will probably go away if I do that - I don't have room for three.

If you want smoky flavor, an Egg or similar, or a pellet grill are the way to go. You're just not gonna get a great result for any low and slow cook with anything other than something that is wood-fired.

But for everyday grilling - it's hard to beat the convenience of a good gas grill.

Reactions: 3 users
So the thing I’ve been hearing about pellet grills is they are decent smokers, especially if you get one with all the fancy Wi-Fi/app controls but they are mediocre as grills. I definitely will grill more and want to be able to sear (though a good cast iron seared oven finished steak is also great).

I’ve got both power and natural gas ran to my outdoor kitchen space so I can do either.

It’s been awhile since I’ve owned a grill so I’m really curious if anyone has used the new infrared stuff and if it’s worth it or functional.

I’d go kamado for smoking + a Weber gasser for grilling. Get one with a side burner (awesome for lighting charcoal for your kamado) and a sear burner for your steaks. I think a $1500 Weber is 95% as good as a Lynx or DCS. Spend the difference on lots of prime beef.

Reactions: 2 users
So the thing I’ve been hearing about pellet grills is they are decent smokers, especially if you get one with all the fancy Wi-Fi/app controls but they are mediocre as grills. I definitely will grill more and want to be able to sear (though a good cast iron seared oven finished steak is also great).

I’ve got both power and natural gas ran to my outdoor kitchen space so I can do either.

It’s been awhile since I’ve owned a grill so I’m really curious if anyone has used the new infrared stuff and if it’s worth it or functional.
There are some different combo grills that do both gas and pellet smoking. I'm sure you're sacrificing a little on one or the other but it's certainly intriguing. Also a bunch of side-by-side combo grills.

Have always had a gas grill, new house had a built-in pellet smoker. Can attest that grilling on it was mediocre at best.

i have and use three...
- Weber gas grill = easy and convenient. cost $$..for when i need steaks or burgers quickly (or salmon for wife). 1/2 to one beer before supper.
- Weber charcoal kettle = cheap, easy and good flavor. cost $. intermediate time commitment = two beers. Chimney is a must.
- Rectec pellet smoker = (this is just an american made Traegar). Cost $$$. Long time before eating. Get up early. brine the night before, etc...Easy for butts and brisket, turkeys and hams too. Its really just a pellet fed oven, you just set the temps and it stays there...you need to get a pellet smoker tube for more smoky flavor. The wifi realy makes it easy...

My brother has the BGE and the butts taste best from him, but he was an early adopter and has time to screw around with it more than i do...
Whatever you decide, Youtube is your friend for recipes. Beware. It's possible to really nerd out with this stuff. But its fun.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a large Weber Charcoal Kettle Grill, which I can ‘smoke’ on using the snake method. I also have a handful of fire place bricks so I can build a smaller yakitori like grill setup inside for when I’m grilling a smaller amount of food.

Yoder YS640 pellet grill for smoking and a cheap gas grill for everything else.

Weber kettle and gas. Would like to add a BGE/similar or a pellet smoker.

Also...pay for assembly. Grills are a PIA to assemble/install.

Love my Traeger and have done some absolutely incredible smoking and BBQ on it but agree that it is next to worthless for grilling. Hard to go wrong with a charcoal Weber.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Weber Summit Charcoal grill and a Weber gas grill. The Weber Summit Charcoal is sort of like Weber’s answer to the BGE. It’s essentially an insulated Weber kettle. It is probably my most used cooking appliance aside from the indoor oven and stove. I mainly use it as a charcoal grill and it excels at that. I also use it as a smoker for ribs and pork butts a few times a year. It’s pretty efficient and can hold a temp pretty well without excessive fuel consumption during a long cook in a northeastern winter. I can also get it pretty hot with the charcoals so that I can cook pizza or stir fry in a wok. It gets much hotter than my gas grill. The advantages over the BGE is it’s light and durable (steel instead of ceramic). Weber also states you can use lump charcoal or briquettes. I highly recommend it.

Another Weber combo option is a gas grill + Weber kettle + Weber Smokey mountain.

Charcoal is pretty easy with a charcoal chimney. I grilled some chicken today after work and had the grill lit and ready to cook in about 15 minutes.

Charcoal is pretty easy with a charcoal chimney. I grilled some chicken today after work and had the grill lit and ready to cook in about 15 minutes.

A charcoal chimney is super nice,, but this makes it almost stupid easy

Ok, I know there’s some hardcore grill masters here so I’m looking for some recs.

I’m looking to buy an all purpose grill, initially was thinking I’d go with a pellet grill but currently I’m leaning on a nice gas grill with a green egg.

I’m definitely not a seasoned hardcore grill guy, but I’d like to buy a nice built in grill that will last me a decade of cooking steaks, chicken, burgers/dogs, shrimp, and veggies etc. For the purposes of this thread let’s leave out the slow and low stuff.

Current contenders;

DCS series 9

Lynx Sedona or potentially a professional series (I’m not sure how usable or potentially game-changing having adjustable infrared burners is)

Alfresco/Artisan

Looking for thoughts and personal experience on briquette shape/arrangement, ease of cleaning said briquettes, infrared burner for searing or potentially adjustable infrared zones, etc.

Feel free to educate me

If you want to grill, a gas grill will be the easiest. No waiting etc. You sacrifice a bit on the taste.

For smoking/charcoal, I bought and constantly use a Weber Kettle. I use it for grilling as well and it works very well. The main issue is prep time. It can take 20 to 30 minutes to get your charcoal ready to go but if you use a burner or some other device, you can cut that time down significantly.

I bought this basic version right after fellowship and was stressed about spending so much.

5 years later, it's still going strong. Do the typical steaks, burgers, chicken to brisket, beef plate ribs ( brisket on a stick), smoked chuck roast, lamb legs etc.

I wouldn't recommend the above version though because Weber has better versions of it like these:

Weber does make a Kamado style grill that has good reviews. Will put you out ~$1000 though.
----------------------------------------------

If going the charcoal route, get a chimney starter as well if not using a burner or blow torch etc.

You can technically light a chimney starter with newspaper etc but I found that made a lot of ash/mess at times

I typically use lighter cubes (since they are cheap):

Or tumbleweeds:

--------------------------------------------

For charcoal, I typically use the Kingsford original if I'm smoking etc. I need a constant burn so it works well. Someone mentioned the snake method which works very well. I can get an 8 to 9 hour burn time at around 275 to 300 degrees with briquettes in the snake method.

Main downside of briquettes is they make more of a mess due to the binders etc.
Briquettes won't burn as hot as lump charcoal.

Lump charcoal works well also. I'll typically use it for direct grilling etc. You can still use it to smoke but that would be easier in a Kamado style device for temp control.

It burns hot and fast with minimal ash which helps with clean up.

Not all lump charcoal is equal. The stuff at the supermarket etc (Cowboy brand typically) isn't that great. I have heard people finding rocks and screws in the bag.

You'll have to pay more for quality.

I use Kamado Joe Big Block charcoal and it works well.
--------------------------------------

As mentioned earlier, Costco is a good source for meat.

You can consistently find prime packer brisket there. Plus prime ribeye and tenderloin.

Depending on your location you can also get tri tip and some other steaks as well. They do sell beef ribs but not the beef plate ribs. You'll have to find a butcher or specialty shop for those.

Interesting no one has mentioned a black stone griddle (or equivalent). I’ve got a pellet grill and really enjoy the ease of use for smoking. I’ve been waiting to get a gas grill but I heard some nurses talking about their blackstone. I’m very intrigued and thinking of getting that over a grill.

Interesting no one has mentioned a black stone griddle (or equivalent). I’ve got a pellet grill and really enjoy the ease of use for smoking. I’ve been waiting to get a gas grill but I heard some nurses talking about their blackstone. I’m very intrigued and thinking of getting that over a grill.
Thinking the Griddles may be a lot of work to clean/maintain and don’t get any good char/etc

E490017E-CDAA-4E8A-8E27-B83F11B0E59F.jpeg

Sounds like nobody thinks expensive, professional series grills with new age tech is worth it, just get a decent Weber etc.
I will say that after looking up the infrared stuff, it definitely has appeal! Even just a side-burner. I'm intrigued.

Thinking the Griddles may be a lot of work to clean/maintain and don’t get any good char/etc
They’re not bad at all. Quick scrape whenever you’re done grilling and then wipe down with vegetable oil and paper towel whenever it’s cooled. I really enjoy the black stone and use it often. It’s great for burgers, fajitas, quick sear meats. Smash burgers get a great char.

We bought a primo (USA made BGE) about 5 years ago. Fun to smoke stuff and have the indirect heat zone, but it’s so much work. We sous vide most of our steaks anymore and just sear in cast iron. The primo hardly gets used anymore.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but a big grilling fan. After years of trying different grills, I find a Kamado style grill (Kamado Joe, BGE, etc) is the best for grilling. You can get great sears/grilling, great smoking, and it's versatile for things like pizza. I use a torch to get the grill going quick (very important) and use the grill frequently. Youtube (Smoking Dad BBQ and others) and the Kamado Facebook groups give great guidance. Here's a photo for some proof (reverse-seared, dry-brined, bone-in ribeye).

Steak.png

Kamodo Kamado plus a Hestan gas grill with a sear station gets you everything.

Both are stunning pieces and do an amazing job.

Blackstone griddle, Kamado style grill, maybe a cheap gas grill for when you want a reminder that using the other two tools are just as easy and quick but produce far better food.

The idea that using lump charcoal is slower/more work wasn't true before wifi blower/vent control and it sure as hell isn't now.

This week: pizza, steaks, fish, brisket, wok stir fry, chili on Kamado. Smash burgers, breakfast, metric ton of vegetables on the Blackstone.

I baked a damn pie in my Kamado. This grill can cook basically anything.

Blackstone griddle, Kamado style grill, maybe a cheap gas grill for when you want a reminder that using the other two tools are just as easy and quick but produce far better food.

The idea that using lump charcoal is slower/more work wasn't true before wifi blower/vent control and it sure as hell isn't now.

This week: pizza, steaks, fish, brisket, wok stir fry, chili on Kamado. Smash burgers, breakfast, metric ton of vegetables on the Blackstone.

I baked a damn pie in my Kamado. This grill can cook basically anything.

Second the Kamado. Learning curve is a bit steep, but I have the fan (Flameboss) and grill/wifi temp probe. Meats come out perfect and consistently so.

Kamado recently came out with the Konnected Joe which basically has the fan controller and autostart charcoal as well. Makes it an easy button to cook whatever you want.

Weber kettle and gas. Would like to add a BGE/similar or a pellet smoker.

Also...pay for assembly. Grills are a PIA to assemble/install.
My Weber genesis was pretty easy to assemble I love that grill

My Weber genesis was pretty easy to assemble I love that grill
Weber gas is great. Almost immediately ready to cook. Immediately turned off when you are finished. No messy ashes to clean up (!!!).

If you are cooking burgers, steak, or chicken thighs (90% of what I grill) there is no difference in taste vs charcoal. You get cheaper fuel, more convenience, precise temperature control, and less mess with no downside.

If you are barbecuing you need another option. If you have time and space you can’t beat an offset smoker. If you want good results with minimal effort- a pellet smoker is a great option.

I’ve had a Weber gas grill, an offset smoker, an Egg, a WSM, a kettle, and a pellet smoker (not all at the same time), and I always used gas the most. I used the offset second most but that was more of a hobby than a way to make dinner. The vast majority of people use gas the most if they have gas and something else (but being sdn everyone here is probably the exception to the rule.)