"Grid" Board Review Series ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bill_Brasky

To Bill Brasky!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How comprehensive are the "Grid" Board Review Series from LWW? Say, for instance, that if I use the Physiology one to review physiology (along with Durbin EKGs) instead of diving through my tome-like physiology book, will I know the physio I need to know to rock-out? Shooting for a 230-something. And how about in other disciplines, how are those grid books? I really liked the one for physio and pretty soon am going to be $purchasing books$ to start studying for the boards/brushing up the stuff that fell out of my head over the summer between 1st and 2nd year, so any feedback would be most kind.

-Bill Brasky
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Third: You know it was the sight of Brasky's naked body that drove Brian Wilson insane.

Second: He showers in grain alcohol.

First: He uses a shroud of tourine as a golf towel.

Second: He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident.

Third: He drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls.

First: His first name is Bill. [pause] I'm drunk."

Members don't see this ad.

Also, since I want to get a jump on studying, and the new first aid for this coming year won't be out until December, should I read the one for this year's test? I heard that the first aid has VERY specific info for each test, and I was wondering if the info is so specific on each year's book that I would be better served by waiting for the new edition to come out for verbatim question to book info.

-Bill Brasky

Bill_Brasky said:
Also, since I want to get a jump on studying, and the new first aid for this coming year won't be out until December, should I read the one for this year's test? I heard that the first aid has VERY specific info for each test, and I was wondering if the info is so specific on each year's book that I would be better served by waiting for the new edition to come out for verbatim question to book info.

Who told you that, Vikas Bhushan?

The changes year-to-year are minimal. Since the book isn't intended to be your sole source of info, I don't see a reason to wait for the new one.

For any forum browsers, I'd like to add that the organizational change from 2005 to 2006 is fairly substantial, and the latter is better if your school teaches the curriculum by organ systems. But otherwise, yeah, fairly minimal changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Iwy Em Hotep said:
For any forum browsers, I'd like to add that the organizational change from 2005 to 2006 is fairly substantial, and the latter is better if your school teaches the curriculum by organ systems. But otherwise, yeah, fairly minimal changes.

Cool, thanks for the reply. Anyone else know about the Grid books?

-Bill Brasky

what do you mean by "grid" books. are you just referring to the regular BRS series? the best of the series by far is Path and Physio. I got behav sci but a lot of people go with HY for that. check out the reviews of books in the sticky of this forum. No more than one review book for each discipline is good advice. Get FA before the start of second year and use it all year filling in gaps and putting in your own mnemonics etc.

I think the physio one contains everything you will need for boards and maybe a bit more.

DOctorJay said:
what do you mean by "grid" books. are you just referring to the regular BRS series?

Oh that's what he's talking about!

BRS Pathology, Physiology, and Behavioral Science are all great. They may not be enough for classes but I'd be worried if they weren't enough for boards.

I also use BRS Embryology but mainly b/c my school didn't have a course and I wanted something with more info than HY to make up for that.

From what I've seen I'm not particularly impressed by BRS Gross Anatomy, , Pharmacology, or Microbiology/Immunology -- although I haven't spent much time looking at any of them. I have never looked through the Neuroanatomy or the Cell Bio/Histo.

Awesome, thanks guys.

-Bill Brasky

P.S. Nice avatar Jeebus, Roast-Beef, co-winner of the 2006 Great Outdoor Fight!