This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grey's Anatomy Fellowship

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Barbara Friend, and I am the Director of Medical Research at the television show Grey's Anatomy on ABC. Grey's is offering a Medical Communications Fellowship for surgical Residents. The fellowship mostly entails medical consulting on the show, in the writers' room and occasionally on set. The fellowship also involves a close relationship with Hollywood Health & Society (HHS) at USC's Norman Lear Center, which provides public health consulting to all forms of media and entertainment.

The media has a huge impact on the way the public perceives certain health issues, and this is a fantastic opportunity to help shape the messages being disseminated, ensuring that they are both accurate as well as entertaining.

Attached please find two documents:
- A more detailed description of the Medical Communications Fellowship opportunity
- The Medical Communications Fellowship Application

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or want more information [email protected]. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Medical Communications Fellowship Applications.docx
    25.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Medical Communications Fellowship for Surgical Residents Description.docx
    17 KB · Views: 133
Hi,

My name is Barbara Friend, and I am the Director of Medical Research at the television show Grey's Anatomy on ABC. Grey's is offering a Medical Communications Fellowship for surgical Residents. The fellowship mostly entails medical consulting on the show, in the writers' room and occasionally on set. The fellowship also involves a close relationship with Hollywood Health & Society (HHS) at USC's Norman Lear Center, which provides public health consulting to all forms of media and entertainment.

The media has a huge impact on the way the public perceives certain health issues, and this is a fantastic opportunity to help shape the messages being disseminated, ensuring that they are both accurate as well as entertaining.

Attached please find two documents:
- A more detailed description of the Medical Communications Fellowship opportunity
- The Medical Communications Fellowship Application

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or want more information [email protected]. Thanks so much!

I'm trying to imagine how a surgical resident would get approval for this from his/her program. I guess it could happen during research years. Funding?

Regardless, if you want to reach out to a larger, more meaningful audience, you should probably contact the APDS (APDS.org) and see if they'd be willing to disseminate the fellowship information via their listserv.

Besides, I'm afraid the SDN members would provide a biased portrayal of life as a surgical resident, as we are all extremely good looking and are constantly hooking up with each other, then dying. I doubt that's what your show is looking for.....

Reactions: 8 users
Isn't this the same person who advertised the same thing a few years ago? In that thread, I said the same thing I'm going to repeat here: is this fellowship one where the doctor says what is medically correct, and the writers take that information, and ball it up and throw it away?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds fun if there's a possibility for part-time... is there?