Greetings from the MICU!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipsy McStagger

Critical Care
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm interloping into your forum for some assistance. In the upcoming months we have a day where we will be talking about Trauma and the ED. I'm hoping you all can point me in the direction of some great papers or resources that you think would have significant overlap between a trauma patient and the medical ICU. Something ideally that medicine trained folks will not be familiar with, but that you feel would benefit their education with further knowledge on the subject.

Especially medically managed trauma that you think could perhaps be taken care of in the MICU, but that providers there do not have exposure to or feel comfortable with.

I appreciate your help!

Edit: By means of example I was thinking about some good things to talk about would be chest tube size, coagulopathy and acidosis etc.
1) Does size matter? A prospective analysis of 28-32 versus 36-40 French chest tube size in trauma.
2) The trauma triad of death: hypothermia, acidosis, and coagulopathy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One topic that would be great to consider is management of rib fractures in elderly patients - a MICU in a place with no trauma center is likely to see a lot of these as these patients are often ground level falls and may not be brought to a trauma center.

One topic that would be great to consider is management of rib fractures in elderly patients - a MICU in a place with no trauma center is likely to see a lot of these as these patients are often ground level falls and may not be brought to a trauma center.

Solid! Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody! I'm interloping into your forum for some assistance. In the upcoming months we have a day where we will be talking about Trauma and the ED. I'm hoping you all can point me in the direction of some great papers or resources that you think would have significant overlap between a trauma patient and the medical ICU. Something ideally that medicine trained folks will not be familiar with, but that you feel would benefit their education with further knowledge on the subject.

Especially medically managed trauma that you think could perhaps be taken care of in the MICU, but that providers there do not have exposure to or feel comfortable with.

I appreciate your help!

Edit: By means of example I was thinking about some good things to talk about would be chest tube size, coagulopathy and acidosis etc.
1) Does size matter? A prospective analysis of 28-32 versus 36-40 French chest tube size in trauma.
2) The trauma triad of death: hypothermia, acidosis, and coagulopathy.

I'd also consider something related to massive transfusion/resuscitation. That does have some parallels in MICU care.

Pre-hospital Plasma
1:1:1 Resuscitation
Whole Blood