Green Card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joooj86

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is on another thread but my friend is a dentist in another country. he got accepted to upen, he has a student visa. He will be doing the two year program to get his DDS. Is it true that after graduating and working with a dentist for three years he will be issued a Green Card. Does anyone know anything about this. Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

hi!
well , thats not exactly true!

after graduation u get hired ,the firm or a dental group will get u H1 visa thru a law firm ( permission from INS to work for 5 yrs) mean while the firm may or may not apply for ur adjustment of status tru a law firm and the process has various stages! ( INS is under Home land secutrity now !)well its a long way !

good luck,
ubd

Thanks for the info. So basically is there anyway around this. I think my friend already has the H1 visa but its only one year for him -or am i mistaken? is it always 5 years?- Is that the only way to get a green card? which is not guaranteed!! or is there any other way ? Besides getting married !!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, H1-B is issued for 3 years and then it can be renewed once. However, H1-B has to be sponsored by an employer. I think that after getting the license, H1-b should not be a problem. The green card is also sponsored by the same employer. Most of the employers who sponsor H1-B are co-operative and willing to sponsor G.C as well. However, in some cases, you might need to bear the financial burden for it. It depends on the employer, how much would they be sharing, the attorney's fee.
Other than marriage, job is the way to get the G.C. The GC process is faster if you are enrolled in some govt job or something that is in interest for USA.
Hope this helps.

just out of my curiosity, do you have any idea how much it costs roughly to pay for your own green card?

Dr. Rob told in another posting that his empoyer gave up after learning the price of the process.

I wonder how expensive that can be?

:confused:

I think if some relative sponsers your green card its cheaper and easier to get.
Takes 3-5 yrs and around $4000.
:)
So I think the cost would be nearly the same if the employer decides to sponser the green card..Though I am not sure..

If your relative sponsors for a green card it will take upto 10yrs. Employer sponsored will take up to 3 - 4yrs. Cost depends on the lawyers u choose.

Oh...:(
Thanks for clearing my misconception..

hi!
i think the relative has to be citizen to apply a gc for u , that works out better then a gc relative. gc spouse workout even better :laugh:

with H1 visa u can renew it if ur employer doesn't want to process the gc!

and gc application works faster is few states and slower in few states!!!

good luck
ubd

I think its best to work for a large dental chain or dental school to help you get a green card - because they have experience with it.
Private practioners will see it as a burden - because why do they need to go through all that when they can just hire an american!

Originally posted by DrRob
I think its best to work for a large dental chain or dental school to help you get a green card - because they have experience with it.
Private practioners will see it as a burden - because why do they need to go through all that when they can just hire an american!
But what if the international dentist works out cheaper??:D

hi!
yes i know few friends of mine working for western dental.
they make u work !!! and for gc application they cut ur pay!!
some times i feel everyone is just dying to take advantage of a foriegn trained dentist!!!
ubd