Greatest weakness; Residency interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobbbyyyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
@aProgDirector @Shinken @LATigers @GoSpursGo

Having much debate between friends about greatest weakness question. Do you like it when an applicant mentions their strength as a weakness or do you like it better when an applicant is more genuine and actually mentions their actual weakness and how they have been improving on it?
my thought is the latter is better, but would love to have an experts opinion on it.

and everyone is welcome to share their thoughts, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm too good looking, people don't take my genius level IQ as seriously. It's so hard to be me sometimes

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

Having much debate between friends about greatest weakness question. Do you like it when an applicant mentions their strength as a weakness or do you like it better when an applicant is more genuine and actually mentions their actual weakness and how they have been improving on it?
my thought is the latter is better, but would love to have an experts opinion on it.

The former is incredibly douchey and misses the point of the question.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The former response was literally made fun of in the office by Dwight’s character lacking self awareness while the latter sincerely answers the question.

But I’m no PD

Reactions: 3 users
guys thx for the input and I agree, any suggestions on how to convey your weakness without scaring the interviewer?
ie. "I'm not assertive enough" or "I'm too agreeable" or "i lack experience in x " could be shooting yourself in the foot.

Just an M1 but is there any difference to how you need to respond to these sorts of questions in residency?

Isn't the entire point to show self-awareness and how you've strived to improve yourself? Was always framed that way when we applied to medical school...

Reactions: 1 user

Me personally, I have trouble with people who think a strength is a weakness.

That said, interviewers in any venue know that people try to pull this, so I feel that being honest is a far better policy.

Just be honest and thoughtful.

Interviewer: what are some of your weaknesses?
Oso: I shed in the summertime and sleep from Nov-March
Interviewer: eh, I guess we've had worse. You're hired

Reactions: 14 users
haha after a quick google search, OSO means bear in spanish, good one! you deserve a bear treat

Don't ever list a true weakness. Always find a way to bring something positive out in the question. Be creative.

guys thx for the input and I agree, any suggestions on how to convey your weakness without scaring the interviewer?
ie. "I'm not assertive enough" or "I'm too agreeable" or "i lack experience in x " could be shooting yourself in the foot.

Ehhhh. You tell them your weaknesses and then go into what you’ve done to overcome said weaknesses/improve yourself .

In my opinion.

Reactions: 10 users
"I'm too social sometimes. I really enjoy talking to people a lot and sometimes it gets in the way of getting things done"

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you honestly say if there were no negative consequences to being truthful? Start from there --

Once you've identified a weakness, then formulate a plan to mitigate it and actually start implementing that plan. Be able to have some measurable progress to describe by the time you have to answer the question, and then describe that process.

"I used to be very uncomfortable with public speaking so I joined Toastmasters and now can even enjoy it at times."

Reactions: 4 users
Don't ever list a true weakness. Always find a way to bring something positive out in the question. Be creative.

Eh, depends on the weakness. If your weakness is that you're lazy, probably should think of something else. If your weakness is FOMO and you try to do too much then you're good.

A different way to think about it: weaknesses that are malignant personality traits are bad as they can't really be managed/corrected, don't mention them. Weaknesses which are related to mild behaviors or thought processes are good as they can be corrected with insight and practice of better habits. I agree with the positive spin and creativity though. You want interviewers to feel like your weakness is something which they can work with and isn't a significant detriment.

Reactions: 3 users
If you made it through M3 without identifying any weaknesses you have (hopefully things you're working on improving), then you severely lack self awareness.

Reactions: 2 users
Work too hard, care too much

"I'm too social sometimes. I really enjoy talking to people a lot and sometimes it gets in the way of getting things done"

I'm stealing this :)

If you made it through M3 without identifying any weaknesses you have (hopefully things you're working on improving), then you severely lack self awareness.

Interviewer: So what's your biggest weakness?
Gunner: I'm not efficient, I require several hours of sleep every 24 hours. It's really unfortunate. However I cope with this by consuming gratuitous amounts of caffeine to minimize these periods of inefficiency.

Reactions: 5 users

We want you to be genuine & honest with everything you say in any question. Knowing your weakness(es) and working on them is what we are looking for. Anyone who says they don't have a weakness or can't think of one.....yeah, not good. It shows a profound lack of insight and you definitely don't want an intern coming in on their first day thinking they know everything and can do it all.

Has kind of been said already, but I’ll borrow a line from Robin out of “How I Met Your Mother”:

“My weaknesses are I work too hard, care too much and put my professional life ahead of my relationships. Whoops, that last one is real!”

Reactions: 1 users

For my medical school interviews, I mentioned overworking myself as a weakness. I gave an example in the past that quite literally lead to my hospitalization and then mentioned the coping skills I have since developed to better manage my stress and not overload my schedule.

This question is an opportunity to show personal growth. Listing a strength as a weakness does not do this and is very douchey, like above posters have said.

Interviewer: So where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Me: I think my greatest weakness is listening.

Reactions: 19 users
Bullets.

I was actually shot in the chest by a classmate of mine in medical school. He was shooting his 9 mm when a bullet ricocheted and hit me in the chest. Didn’t break my skin due to my steel pecs but definitely left a mark. Kept the bullet for good luck. Good times.

Reactions: 6 users
Probably not good to go with something pretty superficial. If the interviewer's name is Dr. Johnson, and they have their name plate on their desk, you could always say, "Well, Dr. Smith, I'm pretty terrible with names, but I remember faces."

Reactions: 1 users