Great reading for those considering the Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apuli09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was once too considering this route given I applied for admission at one of the Big 4. I was excited and hopeful to find a new light through my darkness.
After a short wait, I was granted an interview! I think it was once of the happiest day of my life. I was advised to contact a graduate who was working at a prestigious hospital in NYC.
The doctor was really nice and offered to do the interview on a Monday afternoon, but what quickly killed all my excitement was the fact that the interview was done at her own apartment. :nailbiting:
I mean what level of seriousness can a program have if the interviews are done at the interviewer's living room. The interview itself was really low-stress. The only questions I was asked were Why medicine and Why XYZ school?.
Then this person gave me her laptop to type an essay and left to the bathroom to talk on the phone.
Once she returned, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions. I was so disappointed when most of the answers were that she either did not know or wasn't sure given that she left the island long ago.
When I was about to ask my third question she told me that the interview needed to be finished because the next person was at the door already!. Although I was accepted 2 days after I have decided to not attend this school because of the lack of respect and seriousness that I already experienced from such an early stage.
I have also found this blog which I found I be very informative and wanted to share with my fellow pre-meds! Just a heads up so nobody goes blindfolded to these places!
https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/counting-the-points/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was once too considering this route given I applied for admission at one of the Big 4. I was excited and hopeful to find a new light through my darkness.
After a short wait, I was granted an interview! I think it was once of the happiest day of my life. I was advised to contact a graduate who was working at a prestigious hospital in NYC.
The doctor was really nice and offered to do the interview on a Monday afternoon, but what quickly killed all my excitement was the fact that the interview was done at her own apartment. :nailbiting:
I mean what level of seriousness can a program have if the interviews are done at the interviewer's living room. The interview itself was really low-stress. The only questions I was asked were Why medicine and Why XYZ school?.
Then this person gave me her laptop to type an essay and left to the bathroom to talk on the phone.
Once she returned, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions. I was so disappointed when most of the answers were that she either did not know or wasn't sure given that she left the island long ago.
When I was about to ask my third question she told me that the interview needed to be finished because the next person was at the door already!. Although I was accepted 2 days after I have decided to not attend this school because of the lack of respect and seriousness that I already experienced from such an early stage.
I have also found this blog which I found I be very informative and wanted to share with my fellow pre-meds! Just a heads up so nobody goes blindfolded to these places!
https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/counting-the-points/
did you look her up to make sure she's legit (licensed and all that jazz)?

I did! She was a neurology resident, but she prev went into primary care

Members don't see this ad :)
Well she is a resident, and I don't think a Carib school would be able to book a meeting room at NY-Pres.

And here I was, clicking on the thread hoping for some news that wasn't the same old "Carib schools suck". I think you could've added it to one of the many threads that covers this already instead of starting your own.

Well she is a resident, and I don't think a Carib school would be able to book a meeting room at NY-Pres.

And here I was, clicking on the thread hoping for some news that wasn't the same old "Carib schools suck". I think you could've added it to one of the many threads that covers this already instead of starting your own.
I actually posted on the SGU thread but it was moved here by the moderators. There wasnt any thread there that presented this idea so I thought it would actually be helpful for people who were considering SGU like I was

I actually posted on the SGU thread but it was moved here by the moderators. There wasnt any thread there that presented this idea so I thought it would actually be helpful for people who were considering SGU like I was

Have you thought about U.S. DO Schools? Grade replacements... etc

I will be going to the Carib in August.... pending a surprise acceptance somewhere else

You can rag on it all you want, average board scores won't work here. You hustle, crush, and network F@#$% this blog

I have encountered many people who have suceeded, look up the residents at many of the programs

I was not trying to bash this place or anything just wanted to share my experience as well as presenting something that I found useful when making my decision whether I was going there or not!
I'm happy to hear that there are many successful doctors that come from there. I wish you best of luck!!!

Have you thought about U.S. DO Schools? Grade replacements... etc
My GPA is good (3.7 cGPA and 3.8 sGPA), it is the verbal section of the MCAT that threw me off as English ismy 2 language so I struggled a lot.. The other two sections were good

I'm kind of confused as to why there are so many IMGs practicing medicine. As of 2013, data shows 67.4% of active physicians are M.D., 7.3% which are D.O.s, 24.2% IMGs. I'm kind of wondering why that is and which international programs are dominant in that 24.2%. I know many people say go DO from what they've heard, but I can't help but wonder why the numbers are that way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MD_and_DO_in_the_United_States

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of confused as to why there are so many IMGs practicing medicine. As of 2013, data shows 67.4% of active physicians are M.D., 7.3% which are D.O.s, 24.2% IMGs. I'm kind of wondering why that is and which international programs are dominant in that 24.2%. I know many people say go DO from what they've heard, but I can't help but wonder why the numbers are that way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MD_and_DO_in_the_United_States

There are a few things at work here. Part of it is just the fact that there has been and according to recent studies will continue to be more(at least until 2024) residency positions than US MD and DO graduates, (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1511707?query=TOC&). DO schools are expanding rapidly these days but for much of the semi recent past the excess number of spots was greater than the total number of DO students graduating every year. So you end up with more IMGs. It is definitely better to go DO than IMG(except maybe Sackler but that is a debate for a different thread), especially if you want to specialize. That being said big 4 caribbean isnt quite as much of a death sentence as people on here make it out to be. If you want to see the other side of the argument that tends to not be popular on this forum search for post by TheArgus.

Here's an even better article why you should avoid Carib schools

http://www.buzzfeed.com/marckittyka...oss-students-will-understand-fqod#.eb2MnWmlEy

"31 things that only Ross students will understand"

Another funny one I found was a tweet that said "#rossuniversity #careers #job" with a link and then it lead nowhere. It was a 404 screen.
mobile-30211-1385399267-13.jpg

The tap water aptly summarizes everything about Carib schools

Here's an even better article why you should avoid Carib schools

mobile-30211-1385399267-13.jpg

The tap water aptly summarizes everything about Carib schools
Carib schools are like a hot chocolate fountain ... in my bathroom!?

Sign me up!

Reactions: 5 users
Exactly. Plus cool scenery!

ross-university-campus_200_247.jpg

Sometimes, when I'm feeling frustrated, I go on the valueMD forums and read the threads about Caribbean schools just to remind myself how good I have it and not to take my education for granted.

Reactions: 7 users
Sometimes, when I'm feeling frustrated, I go on the valueMD forums and read the threads about Caribbean schools just to remind myself how good I have it and not to take my education for granted.

And that is an important attitude to have. Keeping things in perspective helps

Which reminds me, the SGU Forums just below the WAMC Forums is an eyesore. Do you and the other mods/admins plan on taking it down soon?

Which reminds me, the SGU Forums just below the WAMC Forums is an eyesore. Do you and the other mods/admins plan on taking it down soon?

I wouldn't be able to tell you regardless. Might be a better question for an admin (in PM of course ;)).

I've been there once or twice because people have linked it somewhere. It just makes me sad, I derive 0 joy from some of the posts on there saying stuff like "just failed out of X school, transferring to Y school now, need advice". I dont know what kind of unfortunate life you have to live to graduate undergrad and have 0 friends or family willing to grab you on the shoulder and tell you to throw in the towel.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been there once or twice because people have linked it somewhere. It just makes me sad, I derive 0 joy from some of the posts on there saying stuff like "just failed out of X school, transferring to Y school now, need advice". I dont know what kind of unfortunate life you have to live to graduate undergrad and have 0 friends or family willing to grab you on the shoulder and tell you to throw in the towel.

Same, I just feel really sad for those people. Also the guy who wrote the million dollar mistake blog. Reading that was depressing

I will be going to the Carib in August.... pending a surprise acceptance somewhere else

You can rag on it all you want, average board scores won't work here. You hustle, crush, and network F@#$% this blog

I have encountered many people who have suceeded, look up the residents at many of the programs
>can't do well enough GPA or MCAT wise to get into a US MD or DO school
>assumes they'll just crush medical school in an environment in which everyone is trying their hardest because they know failure is financial suicide, thus making competition fierce, and in which support resources are seriously lacking
>assumes they'll just crush the USMLE, one of the most difficult licensing exams in the world
Seems_f8af34_5583835.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
And that is an important attitude to have. Keeping things in perspective helps

They probably donated a fortune for that. I'd just let it be.

>assumes they'll just crush medical school in an environment in which everyone is trying their hardest because they know failure is financial suicide, thus making competition fierce, and in which support resources are seriously lacking
>assumes they'll just crush the USMLE, one of the most difficult licensing exams in the world
Seems_f8af34_5583835.jpg
Dude.... He's Optimus F$@&ing Prime. He'll be fine.

Seems_f8af34_5583835.jpg

At least some of them go on to write good blogs discouraging others from making the same mistakes.

Also lol @ hustle, crush and network. Should've done that in undergrad bro

Same, I just feel really sad for those people. Also the guy who wrote the million dollar mistake blog. Reading that was depressing

Don't feel too sad. The guy kind of did it to himself. The arrogance just oozes off the blog and I think that was possibly more off-putting than the Caribbean brand.

:troll:

Reactions: 1 users