"Great" Programs.....a word of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMIMG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read numerous posts here and have responded with some of my own. The one thing that keeps on giving me a laugh is these so-called "great" or "top" program lists that everyone keeps on giving and people keep on asking about.

What makes a program great? If it is approved by ACGME? If so, then most residency programs meet that. Is it "great" if it graduates residents that can pass the boards? If so, most programs meet that criteria. What makes a program "great" is different for each person. One person may think that one program is phenomenal; however, another program is just average. It differs for each person. Some people view a "great" program as one that is heavily involved with research whereas others are looking for programs that are more clinical oriented. Some people are looking for a more community setting while others want a more urban environment. Some people are more interested in traumas and seeing and doing them whereas others are just content being a member of the team. Some people need more individualized attention while others like more independence. Some people want to be in the Northeast, some want the West, some want the Midwest, etc.

Reputation a program has is just that. REPUTATION. Reputation means squat. If reputation is so important at making a program great than the Chicago Bulls would still be a "great" basketball team....we would not need to play the Superbowl because teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers would be going every year. The Edmenton Oilers and New York Islanders would still be dominating hockey, and the Yankees would have won the last two World Series.

So, take "reputation" with a grain of salt. What makes one program "great" for one person may not make it so hot for another one.

Members don't see this ad.