Great News - 9 new schools planned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The biggest problems to residencies spots though from my limited knowledge, is that in large part they are funded by Medicare, and well we all know how much medicare funding increases every year......................

Actually, there was a law back in the 90's that put a cap on all the residency spots that hospitals could have. So any hospital that currently had any residency spots (be it a total of 2 or 200 spots) can never have more spots than that. Only when new residencies are started up at hospitals that NEVER had any when the law was passed can there be new residency spots. So for these hospitals, as well as new hospitals that didn't exist when the law was passed, when they start a new residency program, they apply for ALL the spots that they can ever have. They can't start up a 10 spot FM program, then 5 years later add an ortho program. They can start with 10 FM and then change 5 of those to ortho years later, but once they start one or more programs, they can never add spots again.

So now the AOA has to dig deeper and deeper into the boonies and smaller and smaller community hospitals to convince them to open up new residency programs. So in general, the quality and volume of any new AOA programs are likely to go down from here on out.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahh I see. Why is this problem so rarely mentioned? When the AOA president visited our school and lack of OGME was brought up all that the President did was beat around the bush and give a politician's answer.

I should preface this with: I'm just commenting cause I like your opinions now and had a discrepancy on a few minor things. Don't read this as argumentative cause 1) I'm tired from our last thread and 2) I agree 99% with you on this.

within 5 years, there will be more DOs and American MD grads than residency spots. ACGME IM has damn near filled before the scramble the last several years. it's only going to get worse.

The "goal" for expansion among allopathics is 30% within the 10 year period of 2009-2018. Thats an increase of 15,300 to ~20,000 (the actual AAMC projection is 19,123 so clearly I'mrounding up somewhere). Obviously DOs are repopulating like rabbits, but they're at ~4,000 now. We're not going to reach the 6,000 we're predicted to be at 7 years from now in 2018. But thats my personal feeling on that last part, the projection is 6,000. At that point the ACGME residencies spots are predicted to be at 24,500. (since the funding of residencies tied to medicare patient rate in 1997 they have still increased at an average rate of just over 200 spots per year and this has held just as true nowadays. And thats not taking the before and after and dividing it. Thats a trend seen year-to-year in the NRMP). Adding them all together we do have a 1-2 thousand person overflow. But then again the AOA is scheduled to have 3 thousand spots by then. Their money comes from the same source though I'm not 100% sure how that source works. Its fuzzy, and I'll get to that below.

at the rate they're making new schools, they'll have to have a 50-100% increase in spots in the next decade,

Well thats a bit of hyperbole there. We're not doubling our size any time soon, and thats exactly what a 100% increase is. We're increasing <50% if projections are right. Obviously they should scale back on schools, no doubt. And they should scale up on residency spot creations, do doubt. But you know that your suggestion is a bit sensationalist for the sake of being eye catching rather than pragmatic.

shenanigans. There has not been an increase in approved FUNDED spots since 1997. they're may be an increase in spots, but I do not believe that the funding is coming from the government.

$230 million dollars (which is very little) per year additional funding for the next few years was passed only a year or two ago. And a lot of reallocation. Oh lots of that. Yes, its mostly reallocation and cut backs on how much each residency pays to the hospital itself so that new ones can be funded. You can't add 2,000 new residencies to the NRMP alone in the last 10 years without having some funding. You're right that no true reform of the system has happened since 1997, but the system in 1997 wasnt a locked system in absolute funding. It does eventually lock the numbers per hospital, but it only locks relative funding since there are ways to expand residency numbers nationally which expands absolute funding every year. And because of that its just nowhere near the money we need; and has required a lot of it is funny accounting and money shifting, while very little of it is actual new funds.

Yes, because people want to spend $250k+ to be forced into an AOA FP/IM/Pysch residency. :rolleyes:

hahaha. I never said they were good (but hey, dont hate on AOA IM! That might actually be good). I simply said they were there. People were doubting they exist.

doubtful, you know that compared to medical school tuition, residencies don't line people pockets enough to make it worth it.

Yes, the amount of money each resident brings in is a deeply and closely protected secret that varies with each hospital and their individual algorithms the gov't gave then. It's also been repeatedly leaked by hospital administration and estimated once by the AAMC that each resident brings in 45,000-90,000 per year per resident for the hospital. beyond what they're getting paid. That works out pretty well if you have 300 or 500 residents in a major hospital. Hell it works out well if you have 40 in a small site. Money is money. That much more than med school money. It may be a drop of water in a sea of debt to these hospitals, but its still good money. I get the feeling that its not *enough* for hospitals though, while the smaller amount med schools collect goes to getting scrooge mcduck-like swimming pools of gold dubloons

2015 is going to be a fun year, I'm glad I finished up before this crap started.

Totally agree with you now even though I'm still in the system, I'm out right when it starts getting bad at least.

:slap: no, you're missing the big picture.

I live by stats and public press releases. It means I often miss the picture. You have to hold my hand through stuff sometimes. I'm sorry.

There are roughly 23000 spots each year for residents, there ~3300 DO grads a year (about to be over 4000 with all these schools) right now there are 16,500 MD grads a year, by 2015 there will be ~1800, by 2017 they want 22000. so withing 5-7 years there will be 26000 graduating from american medical schools with only 23000 residency spots? I'm glad I won't have to go through match to deal with the cluster-**** that's going to be. They already have 35,000 applicants each year for the match when you factor in the 2000 american grads who are re-entering the match, IMG, FMGs, 5-th pathway and canadians.

Yea. Some of the numbers are off by a bit, but I addressed it above. The projections turn ugly in 2018. Though the projections of students are lower than what you said, the projections of residency spots are higher, and you left out the AOA match entirely (its not like 100% of DOs go to the ACGME). But your point remains, ultimately, true. The projections do exceed the residency spots by 2018. Just not by the amount to estimated out.

1) built in fellowships is not standard for IM, 2) after seeing many different residencies out there, we also need to be increasing the quality of the residencies spots, not just the quantitity, 3) I'll be honest that in my opinion, when I was looking at pulm-cc fellowships, half of the hospitals had no buisness having a fellowship due to lack of volume, frequently shipping out their sicker pts to university centers, etc, etc.

It is done sometimes though. And the AOA has a few of them that are built in with the internal med included. So does the ACGME, which has a few (heme/onc comes to mind because I have looked into these programs a lot for my own interest). Not common, but they happen. But as my edited comment says. Big foot in my mouth. I only checked one and then made an assumption. And the ones listed as new do have considerable amounts of later-PGY fellowships. So i got my facts all wrong there in the residencies (fellowships) I was referring to originally. Points two and three are completely correct and I'm glad you said them. Residencies and fellowships shouldnt exist where there isnt sufficient training. IDK if there is a bigger issue (not enough places where the demand would be sufficient) but I assume its mostly laziness and creating programs where they dont have business belonging. Thats sad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And to think that there are people that actually ask if they should take the DO acceptance over an MD acceptance. :rolleyes:

Anyone know about Barry University's accreditation status and how it will affect NSU?? I couldn't find anything about their accreditation attempt online.

How will this affect DO reputation?

On one hand you risk having mediocre students getting a mediocre clinical education in M3/M4, but on the other hand more people would know what a DO is and be educated about the degree as their prevalence increases.

If the perception develops that DOs aren't getting the same clinical education in M3/M4 as their MD counterparts among residency PDs, then that would be pretty bad.

Last edited:
this is so depressing...I was really looking forward to applying to DO schools, now it seems I have to retake my MCAT and hope for a score over 40 in order to even have a chance at allopathic schools.

this is bad news, hopefully this will happen after I'm already in residency.

Not sure if this was already mentioned since I glanced over a lot of posts but I think the DO school in Utah is a good bet since it's tough for a non primary care dock to get a decent job in Utah because of the giant University of Utah MD cock block. Another point is that if your worried about being forced in undesirable residency then man up and have awesome grades, boards, letters, evals, and audition rotations and you'll get what you want because there are always those that belief in "7-0=D-O." It may sound cutthroat but if your looking at 300 applicants for 5 spots then do what you gotta do to be top 5.

Not sure if this was already mentioned since I glanced over a lot of posts but I think the DO school in Utah is a good bet since it's tough for a non primary care dock to get a decent job in Utah because of the giant University of Utah MD cock block. Another point is that if your worried about being forced in undesirable residency then man up and have awesome grades, boards, letters, evals, and audition rotations and you'll get what you want because there are always those that belief in "7-0=D-O." It may sound cutthroat but if your looking at 300 applicants for 5 spots then do what you gotta do to be top 5.

I like this guy. :thumbup:

They're adding another school to my state? :eek: Well all I have to say is this is going to suck for us going to allo schools as we don't have 2 different types of programs to apply to...

You all worry way too much. Calma

"Applicant status is granted upon the formal request for evaluation submitted by the chief executive officer of the applicant COM."

This means any and all request are listed on the link posted by the OP, not all, and I dare so several of these schools are not going to see light of day. I'm not saying that new DO schools isn't a cause for concern, but this is not some sudden catastrophe that everyone needs to be freaking out about.

Members don't see this ad :)

Every DO student in the country could work his/her tail off and some will still end up without a residency while others end up with inadequate training, most likely in a field they don't want, if this kind of expansion continues. There just aren't enough spots to be adding all these new students.

My post was from the point of view that this will make it easier for applicants to get a med school spot somewhere. The responses are informative.

As a resident entering in 2015 should I be worried? I also have no plan on going into any IM, FP, or Peds specialty...I will obviously sit here and say I will murder boards and clinical grades, but what if I do this and still don't get a residency, in say, Anesthesia, or Rads? I will be quite furious...

As a resident entering in 2015 should I be worried? I also have no plan on going into any IM, FP, or Peds specialty...I will obviously sit here and say I will murder boards and clinical grades, but what if I do this and still don't get a residency, in say, Anesthesia, or Rads? I will be quite furious...

Problem is nobody knows the answer. Maybe more residency spots will open up but its doubtful the need will be met. Honestly, i don't think i would go to a DO school nowadays. Too much uncertainty. You work too hard not to get the residency you want.

My post was from the point of view that this will make it easier for applicants to get a med school spot somewhere. The responses are informative.

It's like law school. It doesn't do you a lot of good to have an easier time getting in when you can't get a decent job on the way out, plus you're now saddled with $220k in debt (DO schools are expensive).

And there is no way all the DOs would take priority over all the rockstar FMGs from the UK, France, Germany, Arab countries, India with a ton of research publications and 250 Step 1. Those guys will land the mid-tier residencies even if there are more American students than residency slots, because of meritocracy.

So where does that leave the DO student who is in the lower half or bottom quarter of his class?

A qualified person, assuming they are not tied to one geographic location, should always get the field they want. Even in 2015. Perhaps not a few years after that. But anyone in medical school or just entering it now has nothing to worry about as long as they work hard and are realistic in their abilities.

Plus, you never know when they can change the funding structure. It was supposed to be in the PPACA that got passed last year, but grealty increasing funding was one of the first cuts republicans successful accomplished in the compromise process (to not be partisan: democrats didnt fight it either, they decided it wasnt a key issue to fight over. grrrrr.)

Last edited:
And there is no way all the DOs would take priority over all the rockstar FMGs from only India with a ton of research publications and 250 Step 1. Those guys will land the mid-tier residencies even if there are more American students than residency slots, because of meritocracy.

fixed that for you. I would probably agree that they get priority, but 2,721 of them, in the long run, is not that many. The number doesnt really increase or fluctuate. Plus they match at a rate lower than DO students, so currently they're not the rockstars you suggest them to be.

For reference: For those who apply NRMP here are the match rates: Canadian Students - 100% (there are only 10 or 11 per year), US MD - 94.1%, US DO - 71.7%, US IMG - 50.0%, Previously Unmatched US MDs + Recertifying MDs - 44.0%, Foreign Doctors - 40.9%

DO's match quite well into the NRMP. I wouldn't worry about us being muscled out. The assumption that foreign docs are rockstars is based on thier performance clincally, but there is a true and real preference for american doctors of either degree which the stats (and anecdotes from admissions directors) hold up time and time again. The fun variable is what impact does "All-In" have on this? For those who need a primer: All-In eliminates pre-matching as of the 2013 match.

Plus [IMGs] match at a rate lower than DO students, so currently they're not the rockstars you suggest them to be.

The assumption that foreign docs are rockstars is based on thier performance clincally, but there is a true and real preference for american doctors of either degree which the stats (and anecdotes from admissions directors) hold up time and time again. The fun variable is what impact does "All-In" have on this? For those who need a primer: All-In eliminates pre-matching as of the 2013 match.
Of course many foreign IMGs go unmatched, that's because many are also mediocre. But the ones who are not will still get dibs over a mediocre DO student. I'm not doubting the preference for American students, but the world is a big place and American medicine will always leave some room for those rockstars.

Let's look at Orthopedic Surgery NRMP match results in 2010:
Non-US IMG (foreigners): 12
US IMG (Caribbean or offshore): 3
Osteopathic: 3

Don't have the data on the number of applicants per applicant type though.
There were probably fewer DO applicants than the IMGs. But it's arguable that as DO schools expand, those numbers still may not shift much due to high MD demand for the specialty. Thus, AOA needs to expand more residency slots.

Of course many foreign IMGs go unmatched, that's because many are also mediocre. But the ones who are not will still get dibs over a mediocre DO student. I'm not doubting the preference for American students, but the world is a big place and American medicine will always leave some room for those rockstars.

Let's look at Orthopedic Surgery NRMP match results in 2010:
Non-US IMG (foreigners): 12
US IMG (Caribbean or offshore): 3
Osteopathic: 3

Don't have the data on the number of applicants per applicant type though.
There were probably fewer DO applicants than the IMGs. But it's arguable that as DO schools expand, those numbers still may not shift much due to high MD demand for the specialty. Thus, AOA needs to expand more residency slots.

ortho is probably the absolute worst choice you could have picked. There are 82 AOA ortho spots and no one argues that they are any different from ACGME spots. That stats category would be massively different if ortho wasn't the 6th biggest AOA residency category. (more than OBGYN or Peds) If you want to do Ortho as a DO you do it through the AOA since its viewed as equal to the ACGME and only DOs can apply. If it didnt exist I'm sure you'd see 12 osteopathic and 3 FMG, you may even see some DO students stealing a few of the "weaker" (have to use that term very loosly) MD spots.

Problem is nobody knows the answer. Maybe more residency spots will open up but its doubtful the need will be met. Honestly, i don't think i would go to a DO school nowadays. Too much uncertainty. You work too hard not to get the residency you want.

Well I think it is a little late now....

Do MDs graduate with whatever choice of residency they want? I'm pretty sure they have a struggle getting the ones they want as well albeit not as hard of a struggle

Do MDs graduate with whatever choice of residency they want? I'm pretty sure they have a struggle getting the ones they want as well albeit not as hard of a struggle

Well what are you talking about specifically cause it varies specialty to specialty. As much as people like to act like they dont exist, the AOA provides plenty of spots which put us above the MD rate in some specialties. And yes I'm pre-aware some fields have AOA garbage spots... just like some ACGME spots are garbage spots. It's a wash, except in surgery, where I feel DOs primarily compete for the great spots within their own system leaving the ACGME pretty much solely to the MDs.... which makes the garbage spots in the AOA very relevant for future surgeons.

FM: equal. no one struggles.
Peds/IM: Favors DOs
Gen Surg: much harder for DOs (more or less competing for the good AOA residencies because the MD ones are notoriously hard to get)
Othropedics/Sports Med/PMnR: Favor DO's by a small but significant margin
Derm/Optho: Favors MDs, even though there are a good number of AOA programs in this
EM: totally even. One field where I think ACGME and DO are equal odds even within the ACGME match.

Its all about seeing the number of ACGME spots taken by MDs/~16,500 and comparing it to the number of ACGME+AOA spots for DOs/~3,800 or 4,000 based on your year. Hard specialties are hard no matter what your degree is. Thats just how it works. Some specialties slightly favor DOs, Some slightly (or majorly in the case of surgery) favor MDs. Most are actually pretty equal.

If you aren't ok with finding yourself in one of the less competitive specialties, you probably don't have any business showing up on the first day of school. There is no guarantee of anything here.

I didn't read this whole thread because it's so long, but opening this many schools without increasing the residency spots is exactly the kind of backward thinking the AOA has been shelling out for a while. Their goal is to put out as many DOs as possible so that the brand recognition increases. That is their focus. Meanwhile, the AOA relies on the ACGME to educate half of their students for residency. That, in my opinion, is one of the biggest travesties in osteopathic medicine.

If you aren't ok with finding yourself in one of the less competitive specialties, you probably don't have any business showing up on the first day of school. There is no guarantee of anything here.

you are just exploding with motivation...

Oh man, all the speculation. This is almost as bad as the "what are my chances" threads in the pre-med forums.

The only way to be even remotely accurate when commenting on this subject is to speak in broad generalities, and even then only with the caveat that anything may change.

Agreed. Nothing is set in stone. You can make, or break, yourself.

:thumbup:

I didn't read this whole thread because it's so long, but opening this many schools without increasing the residency spots is exactly the kind of backward thinking the AOA has been shelling out for a while. Their goal is to put out as many DOs as possible so that the brand recognition increases. That is their focus. Meanwhile, the AOA relies on the ACGME to educate half of their students for residency. That, in my opinion, is one of the biggest travesties in osteopathic medicine.

The goal of the AOA is increasing rural primary care physicians. They are doing it. More residencies are being created in the shticks. :rolleyes:

you are just exploding with motivation...

Welcome to the dance. A quick review of your posting history reveals you were pretty lucky to find yourself in any school. Declaring that you will be furious if you can't get yourself into one of the more competitive specialties seems a little ridiculous to me.

And by the way, every student needs to come to terms with that reality. Not just you. Sorry that I'm not the type to blow sunshine up people's asses. I really just try to tell people how things are. Again- no guarantees in this game.

Welcome to the dance. A quick review of your posting history reveals you were pretty lucky to find yourself in any school. Declaring that you will be furious if you can't get yourself into one of the more competitive specialties seems a little ridiculous to me.

And by the way, every student needs to come to terms with that reality. Not just you. Sorry that I'm not the type to blow sunshine up people's asses. I really just try to tell people how things are. Again- no guarantees in this game.

ID, let me know how things progress with you throughout the interview season and beyond, I'm anxious to hear. Best of luck! :thumbup:

It's okay, my wife and myself already have sufficient sunshine emanating from our asses. No need to blow more up there.

club-cola-sunshine-up-your-ass-small-75593.jpg

If this doesn't make people laugh and take this whole situation a bit more lightly, idk what will.

Serious comment: If you're not willing and fully prepared to be comeptitive and accept nothing but perfection from yourself, then you're a perfect candidate for the residencies that are easier to get into. IDK if I'm alone in this, but I think people get what they are qualified for. No one is "forced" into something that they are overqualified for. If you were overqualified you would have earned something else. This is regardless of degree and true across the map. (note: people can also select, in droves, to do something that they may be overqualified for but they *want* to do. But I dont believe for a second anyone gets stuck with something if they went to a US school. They made a mistake somewhere, likely in overestimating their value)

IDK if I'm alone in this, but I think people get what they are qualified for. No one is "forced" into something that they are overqualified for. If you were overqualified you would have earned something else. This is regardless of degree and true across the map.

This has to be a joke. It's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Maybe after boards, you can take a little walk down to the local Home Depot and ask how many people are working the register because they were laid off from their office job? How about the unemployment line? Check out how many baggers you see at the grocery store with college degrees, who were fully employed just three months ago.

But I dont believe for a second anyone gets stuck with something if they went to a US school. They made a mistake somewhere, likely in overestimating their value)

Let's just wait until you go through the match, eh?

Every DO student in the country could work his/her tail off and some will still end up without a residency while others end up with inadequate training, most likely in a field they don't want, if this kind of expansion continues. There just aren't enough spots to be adding all these new students.

If every DO student had a 3.9, USMLE >230, and COMLEX >600 then that would really shake things up and a lot of good candidates would go into something they otherwise wouldn't have chosen or to a place they wouldn't have ranked. On the other hand we would overtake a lot of MD programs since we'd be the much better applicant pool and the MDs would face the short end of the residency stick. The truth though is that there are always those squeaking by with grades and boards and always a bunch of really good candidates that want to do FM in the BFE. So the best option regardless of how many students are added is to be the best, don't let academics be the reason that you don't get it.

never heard of any of these universities before. i feel like they should at least partner up with more recognizable institutions, I heard Barry is nice, but Marian??? Campbell??? geez, I would understand if these were PA or NP programs, but come on, only elite schools should be allowed to confer a physician degree, ugh. i feel like this is going to errode the credibility of physicians, really sad.

never heard of any of these universities before. i feel like they should at least partner up with more recognizable institutions, I heard Barry is nice, but Marian??? Campbell??? geez, I would understand if these were PA or NP programs, but come on, only elite schools should be allowed to confer a physician degree, ugh. i feel like this is going to errode the credibility of physicians, really sad.

As if Touro, NSU, Western University screams of prestige.... :laugh:

This has to be a joke. It's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Maybe after boards, you can take a little walk down to the local Home Depot and ask how many people are working the register because they were laid off from their office job? How about the unemployment line? Check out how many baggers you see at the grocery store with college degrees, who were fully employed just three months ago.

Talking about students in the match. Come on. Comments have context. haha.

Let's just wait until you go through the match, eh?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely confident I'm right, just as much as you're absolutely confident I'm wrong. But the numbers out there back up the simple fact that scores and placement directly correlate. People with bad scores aren't getting spots ranked about the same as their board performance. And the anecdotes support that people with good enough scores go into whatever they want. You up the competition, it doesnt change that the level you perform at compared to everyone else decides what you do and how free you are to choose. It simply raises the bar for the absolute intelligence required to be at that level. Again: this is all in the context of med school....

and again: adding schools = a bad idea at this current juncture. For so many reasons. But I think the impact would be *different* than most people predict. There is a whole lot of room for increased competition before people start being pushed out of potential positions. That time is still enough years away that anyone currently in med school would avoid it anyway.

though I also believe that the meritocracy does apply to the baggers and home depot workers in majority too. If you were capable enough you would still have your job. If everyone lost their job and your merit had no impact, your merit would get you something else. At each obstacle the weaker ones are the ones who become the baggers and the stronger performers are the ones who continue being successful somewhere else. Its simply a matter of every 'cut' leading to a higher absolute threshold to continue success. But this little paragraph is personal philosophy, so take of it what you will.

As if Touro, NSU, Western University screams of prestige.... :laugh:

Psh. Touro will own the entire world's education some day at the rate they're going. LECOM decided to up its enrollment to become the biggest medical school system out there, so Touro bought a new medical school a week later. :laugh:

That is a terrible arms race if there ever was one.

Last edited:
Psh. Touro will own the entire world's education some day at the rate they're going. LECOM decided to up its enrollment to become the biggest medical school system out there, so Touro bought a new medical school a week later. :laugh:

That is a terrible arms right if there ever was one.

Gotta love the Ferrettis and Touro.... :rolleyes:

Yes yes conspiracy theories as usual. Just like the world was going to end last week right? They were SO sure too

I smell insecurity

Peds/IM: Favors DOs
Really? You would have to be a ***** (failed Steps, institutional action, felony, out of league/geographically limited rank list) to not match into any Peds program from a US MD school. In that case the ACGME might be doing a service to all children across America.

Really? You would have to be a ***** (failed Steps, institutional action, felony, out of league/geographically limited rank list) to not match into any Peds program from a US MD school. In that case the ACGME might be doing a service to all children across America.

Peds is acually a desired field. I know it flies in the face of everything we're told, but MDs went into peds at a higher *rate* than US IMGs or DOs. In this case I was suggesting that since it is highly desired, but is not hard to get into you're better off with the AOA because it can give you more spots to pick from that would also be desirable locations. The desirable spots in the ACGME go, and go under heavy competition.

Clearly the less desirable spots are easy to get. They are numerous and you do need to mess something up to not get them. But when MDs have to actually be very highly qualified to get desirable peds spots and DO's can have a good number of additional choices.... idk... it's my personal interpretation that it would be a DO advantage since its less competition in a surprisingly competitive field (even if its only competitive for a certain portion of the spots). Clearly if you're not geographically or program picky, just go wherever you end up. :laugh:

So allopathic schools are increasing class sizes and opening up new schools at a high rate, the osteopathic schools are doing the same to try and keep up, and the AOA is trying to expand more residencies in the process, and you people have a problem with that?...In 20 years without expansion, DO's will become 1% of the US physician population. Is that a good thing?