GRE test prep ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nd7

The calm before the storm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question...what, in your opinion, is the best GRE test prep book out there and why? i went to Barnes and Nobles the other day, and there are so many!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually studied from the Kaplan workbook for verbal and bought their analytical writing one. I did Baron's for Math (it is super hard but I thought it helped) Then I did prac exams from Princeton review. So in total I had 4 books.

Although I don't have any means for comparison, I have to say I thought the CD that ETS sends you when you register, along with the resources on the ETS website, make for excellent preparation. I found the math review and the pool of writing questions to be very helpful. Another advantage of the ETS CD over other books is that you can take practice exams under nearly-exam-like conditions and get a feel for how the process works. Also, it's free!

If you're really more of a prep-book sort of person, I know this won't be of much use to you. I figured that in case you've just signed up, or are just thinking of signing up to take the test, and have some time to prepare, you might want to wait to get the free materials (or access them online now) before you sink additional money into prep books.

Good luck! :cool:

hey there..

i got a combined score of 1500...here's what i did

1) did the kaplan book and CD(very very good) esp. the tests...in the CD repeat the full tests after you've done them once...new questions often appear

2) the princeton review...although its very well written and has useful tips on how to go abt the gre, the level of questions in the book or CD is not very high...so do it first to get a grip on things

3)barron's wordlist....do the entire list

4) one more thing i did was read some good articles at news websites...invariably you'll come across 'gre' words...