Gre test mechanics...do advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceisbeauty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Qs! Please help ?

1. During the 10 min interval btwn the essay to the exam, can I write on my scratch paper?
2. Does choosing the issue prompt take up time? In terms of which of the two one wants to write about -- does it take away from the 45 mins?
3. Did anyone find that 30 min was insufficient in forming a good response to the argument prompt? I found so many things wrong with the argument, so many suggestions to make ...barely could I finish.
4. In the Kaplan book it says that if you're on the last q and you have picked a response but not confirmed it, you can still change it even if time has expired, is that true?

Thanks people. I'm just trying to get a feel for what it's going to be like!

Members don't see this ad.

1. During the 10 min interval btwn the essay to the exam, can I write on my scratch paper?
If you stay in the room I don't think it's a problem
2. Does choosing the issue prompt take up time? In terms of which of the two one wants to write about -- does it take away from the 45 mins?
I thought about both topics for about a minute, I brainstormed for about 30 seconds for each essay and whichever one I felt I could come up with more to write about (only quantitatively, not qualitatively) I picked
3. Did anyone find that 30 min was insufficient in forming a good response to the argument prompt? I found so many things wrong with the argument, so many suggestions to make ...barely could I finish.
I think the arguement essay was quite easy, I never even brainstormed but just wrote...what else can you do other than writing for 30 minutes continously? Just put down as much as you can think of and you should be good to go...don't stress too much over the essays

4. In the Kaplan book it says that if you're on the last q and you have picked a response but not confirmed it, you can still change it even if time has expired, is that true?

yes, that's right.

Looking at the prompts does take up time. I think there might be a certain amount of time allotted for deciding between prompts, although if there is it will tell you so when the prompts start. They have to take up time, otherwise people could write their whole essays before the time started.

30 minutes also isn't nearly enough time to fully dissect an argument, especially the arguments chosen by the GRE. It is enough time to get a really good score, though, if you spend the entire time dissecting the argument. There's a realization that a person can only type so fast. As long as you hit the highlights and elaborate where you can, most people who studied a social science in undergrad (and who therefore tend to be used to dissecting the kind of arguments the GRE uses) should do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Yes, though I would leave the room just to take a breather
2. Yes
3. No, but I'm not very good at that part.
4. Not sure, sory

Aww thanks guys -- it's really really appreciated.
This helps ease a lot of anxiety.

Looking at the prompts does take up time. I think there might be a certain amount of time allotted for deciding between prompts, although if there is it will tell you so when the prompts start. They have to take up time, otherwise people could write their whole essays before the time started.

30 minutes also isn't nearly enough time to fully dissect an argument, especially the arguments chosen by the GRE. It is enough time to get a really good score, though, if you spend the entire time dissecting the argument. There's a realization that a person can only type so fast. As long as you hit the highlights and elaborate where you can, most people who studied a social science in undergrad (and who therefore tend to be used to dissecting the kind of arguments the GRE uses) should do well.
i imagine most psych students will rock the argument essay i found it super easy, since reading and dissecting psych articles is a lot harder.

with the issue, i think i focused way way way too much on writing an intellignet and well though out 5 paragraph essay. like everyone said just write a smartish, elaborated essay-- length matter more than an elegant turn of phrase or some great insight. it's tough, because that's the exact opposite of how i was taught to write, but whatever...

I duno, I always had really bad topics.

I duno, I always had really bad topics.

my issue topic was "what is the value of history", i think. it was horrible!!!

my argument topic was pretty clear cut and like the ones i'd seen in the prep book, which was good, because i was totally demoralized by facing that first essay.

Thought I'd weight in since by now, given the amount of prepping and test taking I've done, I should be an unofficial expert in the GRE

1) I was not allowed to write anything on scratch paper before the test or between sections. Some test centers may differ, be just be prepared that you will not be able to.
2) Time runs off the clock while you are choosing the Issue prompt.
3) I found 30 minutes to be enough time to write the Argument essay. It was the 45 minutes on the Issue essay that always gave me some time crunch problems. I hated the Issue essay.
4) If time runs out on the last question and you have chosen an answer - an ETS prompt comes up and asks something like "do you want to enter the answer choice you have selected (yes or no)." But I don't think you can change your answer once time expires.

The Official ETS Powerprep practice test software is an accurate simulation of the test, and the best indicator of how you will do. More accurate than Kaplan and Princeton's tests. It is worth downloading.

I actually paid for a few hours of a Princeton Review private tutor, which did help on strategies to score higher. The most important things the tutor taught me about the Issue essay are ...

- The essay graders read these things in a matter of seconds, so clear structure is the most important thing. A generic 4 to 5 paragraph structure is best:
Intro
Example 1 + addressing counterargument
Example 2 + addressing counterargument
Example 3 (if you have time) + addressing counterargument
Conclusion
- Always write an intro and conclusion paragraph, no matter how generic it is or how pressed for time you are.
- Always point out and address the counterarguments to your examples. Typically within the same paragraph as each example. Acknowledge the opponent's counterargument, then indicate why yours is better.
- Don't use examples from your personal life.
- Grammar and spelling matter much less so don't obsess over them.