GRE Scores and Retaking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decieven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received my GRE scores: Verbal = 157, Quant = 149, and Written = 4.5
The schools I am looking at ask for a 300 combined or at least 150 on both portions. I truly hate studying for standardized tests and I know that schools look at everything, so should I attempt another taking of the GRE? I don't want to waste my time and money if a few more points here or there aren't going to matter in the long run.
Also, I have a 4.0 as a junior and am working on getting at least 100 OB hours, if not more.
Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If the schools you are looking at require at least 150 on both portions, yes you should retake it. These schools may not even look at your application if you don't meet their requirements. You could alternatively only apply to schools which require 300+ combined.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same predicament last summer when I was applying, I actually had lower GRE scores and GPA (148 verbal, 150 Quant, 5 AW, 3.75 GPA). I also posted on here asking if people thought I should retake it. Everyone recommended I should but I chose not to and trusted in the rest of my application.

The point is you can get in with those GRE scores. I got offered interviews at 5/6 schools I applied to and got accepted at 4 of them. Those GRE scores are pretty good so all that minimum GRE score stuff is secondary to your GPA.

Personally I would email the schools and ask them if your GRE scores would effect your ability to receive admissions. That's what I did and it worked out great for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
magoosh gre is offering 20% off for anyone looking to improve their scores. magoosh is the only way i studied and i think it helped me a lot.
https://gre.magoosh.com/plans

Reactions: 1 user
If the schools you are looking at require at least 150 on both portions, yes you should retake it. These schools may not even look at your application if you don't meet their requirements. You could alternatively only apply to schools which require 300+ combined.
I double checked and a couple of schools just tell you the averages of the classes before being 310 cumulative or Verbal/Quant of 155. So being a bit off would be ok? There was nothing saying your scores had to be over a certain value. And thanks for the help!

I was in the same predicament last summer when I was applying, I actually had lower GRE scores and GPA (148 verbal, 150 Quant, 5 AW, 3.75 GPA). I also posted on here asking if people thought I should retake it. Everyone recommended I should but I chose not to and trusted in the rest of my application.

The point is you can get in with those GRE scores. I got offered interviews at 5/6 schools I applied to and got accepted at 4 of them. Those GRE scores are pretty good so all that minimum GRE score stuff is secondary to your GPA.

Personally I would email the schools and ask them if your GRE scores would effect your ability to receive admissions. That's what I did and it worked out great for me.
I figured having a strong overall application would help, but when it comes to PT grad school the pressure is on. Thank you and I will certainly try emailing the schools. And congrats on getting in!

Honestly, I would highly recommend retaking it. The quantitative portion is particularly important because PT is obviously heavily science orientated. Also, most schools take the higher combined score of retakes, so it could make a big difference. It's awesome that tuf1993 got into schools with the lower GRE but I have found that that situation is the exception and not the rule.

But even if you choose not to retake it, I highly suggest you shoot for more than 100 observation hours. From what I've seen, even 200 hours is low nowadays.
Hope that helps.

So I just received my GRE scores: Verbal = 157, Quant = 149, and Written = 4.5
The schools I am looking at ask for a 300 combined or at least 150 on both portions. I truly hate studying for standardized tests and I know that schools look at everything, so should I attempt another taking of the GRE? I don't want to waste my time and money if a few more points here or there aren't going to matter in the long run.
Also, I have a 4.0 as a junior and am working on getting at least 100 OB hours, if not more.
Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Our program publishes the minimum GRE scores required on our website. This year we have held all of our applicants to those standards and recommend potential applicants to do the same for their records.

While one or two points may not seem like much, it may mean the difference between you being eligible or not eligible for a certain program.

Please understand that there are many programs who have a large number of applicants who meet all of their academic entry standards, however, they may not be competitive enough to get an interview. We first ask if an applicant is eligible, we subsequently ask if they are competitive. Good luck!

I double checked and a couple of schools just tell you the averages of the classes before being 310 cumulative or Verbal/Quant of 155. So being a bit off would be ok? There was nothing saying your scores had to be over a certain value. And thanks for the help!

It depends on the school. Some don't have a minimum GRE score requirement, but a lot of schools do. Not all schools require at least 150 V/ 150 Q. In addition to emailing schools and looking through the schools' websites, you can also check PTCAS too. If the school has a minimum GRE score requirement, it is listed on PTCAS.