GRE Score Input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcscott325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just trying to get a feel as to how competitive my GRE scores are. I know my GPA is good (3.6 pre-req, 3.7 overall) and I've got over 1500 observation hours, but I've really been stressing about my GRE. I received the following scores:
Math: 149
Verbal: 157
Writing: 4.5

I feel like these scores are low (especially the math score). Some schools I'm applying to only require a 300 overall, which I have, but others require a minimum of 150 in each category. Will I really be overlooked for 1 point when the rest of my stats are really good? Is it really worth taking the test again for 1 point???

Just looking for any thoughts or suggestions... Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not. Do you have diversity in your 1500 observation hours?

Thanks for the response! Yes, my 1500 hours includes:
Geriatrics
Cardio-pulmonary
Orthopedic
Pediatrics
Neurology

However, I'm also concerned because I don't have any "organized" extracurriculars either. I've been working at least 30 hours a week while going to school and getting my observation hours, which hasn't really left much free time for anything else. I was trying to have everything else look as good as possible so that hopefully the schools I apply to will overlook that issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can check out these tables put out by the ETS which gives percentile rankings.

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table1a.pdf

Only your math score is a bit low, but some schools don't factor in the math portion as long as you meet the minimum. At least that's what the admissions person said on the forum.

I think you're in the clear.

Thanks for the help.... It didn't really seem reasonable to have to pay another $180 to retake the test for only 1 point. Still keeping my fingers crossed that it will be enough overall!