GRE questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FountainWalk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, how long does it take to study for the GRE? I'm decent in math but my vocab is terrible.. I want to apply for this cycle so the GRE deadline is mid-September I think. Is that enough time if I were to start studying in a week? Im currently taking classes so I cant devote much time to the GRE until they're thru.. Also, how does it compare to the MCAT? I took it twice and got scores in the low 20s both times... thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, how long does it take to study for the GRE? I'm decent in math but my vocab is terrible.. I want to apply for this cycle so the GRE deadline is mid-September I think. Is that enough time if I were to start studying in a week? Im currently taking classes so I cant devote much time to the GRE until they're thru.. Also, how does it compare to the MCAT? I took it twice and got scores in the low 20s both times... thanks for your help

I don't know how it compares to the MCAT but it does take A LOT of studying. Usually with classes during normal semesters, it takes a good 2 months of studying. Your looking at a month with summer classes. I don't want to discourage you at all though because it is doable. I've seen it done plenty of times. Can you designate at least an hour a day to study for this exam? I lightly studied for it and ended up having to retake it 3 times.. In your situation, if you want to get it done for this cycle, start studying tonight. Seriously...lol Also, I'd suggest the GRE for Dummies. Its cheap, entertaining and tells you all about tips/tricks/traps to look out for! I don't mean to stress you out either! Its just a friendly warning. GO STUDY NOW!

I only studied for a couple of weeks and got a pretty good score. It can definitely be done I would just recommend taking a ton of practice tests. Worst case scenario you don't do that well and just wait until the next cycle to apply which doesn't have to be as bad as it sounds if you approach it with the right attitude

Members don't see this ad :)
I only studied for a couple of weeks and got a pretty good score. It can definitely be done I would just recommend taking a ton of practice tests. Worst case scenario you don't do that well and just wait until the next cycle to apply which doesn't have to be as bad as it sounds if you approach it with the right attitude

That happened to me actually but with classes. I was getting ready to apply and I was going through calculations of my GPA. My cGPA was completely fine...but my science GPA was horrible thanks to a horrible Chem grade and some not so great grades from basic anatomy and physiology. I took all three of those classes when I was at a rough stage in my life while working 40 hours a week and didn't think anything of it back then. Fast forward about 4 years later as I am ready to apply and yeah...I discovered that I had to retake all three classes in the Spring semester (I still had a fall semesters worth of classes to graduate in undergrad). But anyways, it was the best thing I ever did because in a month, I start my first year. All that matters is that I got here and thats all that should matter to you to. If this is something you want bad enough, you can find ways to get there, whether its not or later!

Does not compare to the MCAT there isn't any physics or biology on the GRE.
You need to study I took it 3 times and got above the 150 marks on my third attempt.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm gonna give it a shot this year and hope for the best.