GRE or MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanDPM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people take the MCAT or GRE for Podiatry school? Does it matter which one you have for residency or anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

DanDPM said:
Do most people take the MCAT or GRE for Podiatry school? Does it matter which one you have for residency or anything else?

Seems most people take the MCAT. Only a few take the GRE. As far as I know, it doesn't matter for residency.

DanDPM said:

Whether you take the MCAT or the GRE, it has no impact on residency programs. I took the MCAT because all of the Podiatry schools only accepted MCAT when I was applying for Podiatry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you are in pod school, you will never again need to show your MCAT or GRE scores - so it definitely does not matter which you take. However, many schools will only allow you to take the GRE in lieu of the MCAT if you have a valid reason. I am taking the GRE because come April - when the MCAT is next offered - I will not have completed the courses on which the MCAT tests. Thus, there is no way I can be competitive on the MCAT when I have not ever seen some of the material. Every school validated my concern and gave the "ok" to take the GRE instead. I would imagine that they will continue to accept the GRE more and more with time.

DanDPM said:

Some of the schools accept the DAT in lieu of the MCAT or GRE. I know OCPM does, and I believe Des Moines does. I'm sure there are others.
The DAT is a comfortable option for admission into Podiatry school considering it takes approximately 4 hours, is given in a multiple choice format, and can be taken just about any day of the year at a local testing site. The DAT does not test Physics knowledge and is great for those people that have more of a general background in the sciences, rather than expertise in a specific science subject.

Willcott said:
Some of the schools accept the DAT in lieu of the MCAT or GRE. I know OCPM does, and I believe Des Moines does. I'm sure there are others.
The DAT is a comfortable option for admission into Podiatry school considering it takes approximately 4 hours, is given in a multiple choice format, and can be taken just about any day of the year at a local testing site. The DAT does not test Physics knowledge and is great for those people that have more of a general background in the sciences, rather than expertise in a specific science subject.

i would disagree that the DAT is a comfortable option. I took the Kaplan course for the DAT (i was considering only Dental school at the time) and still found it to be a more difficult test than the MCAT. Heck, I can remember getting to the MCAT and feeling relieved that the physics, chemistry and math were all integreated into the questions instead of being seperate sections like the DAT. I feel the DAT is MUCH more specific on the Inorganic/Organic chem sections. There is also the math section that is damn near impossible to finish in time if your are not very competent in algebra. Additionally, the 4 hr. doesn't seem that bad until you have to actualy sit through it. I definitely think the MCAT was a much more comfortable and maybe even easier test as I did no specific studying for it (aside from the DAT studying I did a few months prior) and did much better on it than the DAT.