GRE/MCAT for PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm current a junior in college, and I've switched from wanting to study medicine to physical therapy. Over the past six or so months, I've been preparing nothing but MCATs, but now that I've set my mind on PT, I know I have to take the GREs. Is it too late to take the GREs in the spring/summer if I want to enroll in fall of 2011? Will PT schools take MCAT scores instead of GRE scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Most, if not all, PT schools require the GRE for admission - they will not accept the MCAT. But if you've already taken the MCAT and did well, I'm sure you can report that score on your PT application (there's place to enter test scores, and you may have the option of putting that one in - I didn't take the MCAT so idk for sure).

But, you will have to take the GRE too. It's not too late to take the GRE by any means. I took the GRE June 12th 2009, and applied for PT school in July 2009. As long as you take the GRE before December of the year in which you apply (so Dec. 2010 in your case) you're fine. But, it's better if you take it earlier so you can have scores to report on your application to improve your chances of acceptance, and so if you don't do well you have time to retake it.