Gratuating From civilian FM residency, incoming Active Duty, what's next?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utb2extreme

NO1care
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in hPSP USN, I was deferred to civilian FM residency. Currently finishing up my final year and getting a bit anxious of how active duty will be like. I don't have much experience e like those who are gratuating from military residency. I am thinking of ship billet, since I want to travel a bit, but very open minded to other billets. Can Those with experience, please give me some guidance on how to deal with detailer, negotiate for locations, and any tips on how to make the transition to active duty. Much appreciate your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

No advice, but I am surprised you were deferred for family medicine. How did that happen?

Active duty is very varied. You need to let your Detailer know what you prefer otherwise you will fill a random billet for your Utilization tour.
1) clinic Senior medical officer (SMO)
2) SMO on a carrier/ship
3) regimental Surgeon with Marines
4) worker bee at a naval hospital

Other avenues like UMO or FS require training pipeline first, and Detailers are usually adverse to delaying getting their use out of you any longer. You can choose, if you want, to apply for UMO or FS after your ADSO is up.

Hang in there! Keep the questions coming. Pore over this site.

Culture of milmed is very unique.......

No advice, but I am surprised you were deferred for family medicine. How did that happen?

When the Navy closed the residency programs at Bremerton and Pensacola, they expected to increase the number of spots at remaining programs. They were not granted as many extra spots by ACGME as requested. This left the Navy 5 spots shy of their desired annual production, leading to deferred opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user