grants for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sustentaculum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a highly ranked medical school that is also a well known research institution. i am an ms2, and did research over this past summer for 10 weeks. i was paid by a grant i believe from nih to my school ( so essentially still through the school). my PI wants me to continue working in the lab over the year. i'm not sure if i can manage as an MS2 with all the studying, but she seems to think the project is worth something. i really want some financial compensation out of it, as i am not getting research credit through the school, and i don't even know if i can get a paper out of it. does anyone know of any small grants i can apply to as a medical student doing part time research?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The problem is that a lot of grants specifically state that you cannot pay a salary out of the funds. The grant is for performing the research.

In my area there is a community foundation that provides grants for research and they state that you can pay a salary out of it; however, if you read for instance the NIH grants page, you will see that they say you cannot. You will just have to look around.