Grant Medical Center closing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishman2007

Reaction score
Are the rumors true, is Grant really closing its residency program? heard this from one of our rotating students. If true how can those northeast chip and clip programs stay open while a historically strong program can’t?

Members don't see this ad.

Bottomfeeders always survive! Lobsters for the win!

Reactions: 5 users

Attachments

• 0_httpscdnimagesdailystarcoukdynamic122photos191000900x738501191.jpeg
    0_httpscdnimagesdailystarcoukdynamic122photos191000900x738501191.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My friends who interviewed this year got an email after interviews saying there was a funding issue and they wouldn't be taking residents this year and possibly the next year too. Crazy stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot goes into this but to sum it up, at Grant they stopped getting trauma and better cases given to them and were only getting infection cases so they stopped taking call at Grant. Grant didn’t like that so they cut the funding for the program. They did not take any residents this year and last I heard they were going to let the current residents finish out and then close the program affiliated with Grant. Not sure if they will try to open up elsewhere but Ohio State has a program and Mt. Carmel is not podiatry friendly at all surgical wise so not sure where they would open up again.

That sucks, had a good month externing there. Wonder if that’s why Ofac isn’t taking non dpm fellows anymore. The drama in podiatry is unbelievable..,

It looks like Ohio health took over the facility? I’m guessing that had a factor in this

A lot goes into this but to sum it up, at Grant they stopped getting trauma and better cases given to them and were only getting infection cases so they stopped taking call at Grant. Grant didn’t like that so they cut the funding for the program. They did not take any residents this year and last I heard they were going to let the current residents finish out and then close the program affiliated with Grant. Not sure if they will try to open up elsewhere but Ohio State has a program and Mt. Carmel is not podiatry friendly at all surgical wise so not sure where they would open up again.

Don’t worry guys, Wyckoff Heights has plenty of open training slots…

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
More VA programs will open shop soon, don’t worry. Plenty of programs available to accommodate the increased class size…..oh wait, only 69% pass rate…….

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
They will figure it out if they want to... a lot of talented attendings there.
That's too bad for the near term. That was probably a top 5 or 10 program for podiatry.

Robert Mendicino, at West Penn at the time, was hands down one the best docs and surgeons I saw anywhere. I mean sure... to be fair, he almost kicked me off the clerkship mid-month too, but he was dang good.

• Haha
They let me do my first skin to skin case as a student. Shame.

Reactions: 1 users

Petty behavior on both sides if this is true

Always loved that place. We need more programs to be affiliated with Level I/II trauma centers. Standalone residencies and schools are definitely not helping this profession.

Reactions: 2 users
Always loved that place. We need more programs to be affiliated with Level I/II trauma centers. Standalone residencies and schools are definitely not helping this profession.
Yeah, I would have to agree.

Where I trained, it was in a tiny hospital when I clerked. Huge F&A surgery volume. Tons of ASCs and hospitals. Tons of cases. But the primary location was a small hospital within the system. I loved it. Dozens and dozens of DPMs from all over the city brought cases to the small hospital since it was a foot surgery mecca (most of the older top programs were like that). The local ambulances knew there was a foot training program and would bring pretty good ER stuff for a small place.

At interviews, I was told the program sponsorship was moving to the big hospital (mothership for the system, level 2 trauma)... same attendings and cases, different resident clinic and resident room and etc. My class would be the first to do all 3yrs at the giant hospital. I was pretty against it at first - even though they already did most med/surg/ER rotations and a few cases there, inpatient rounds there sometimes. I had thought it was better to be big fish in the small pond without so much ortho politics and admins. By graduation, I learned the big hospital is a lot better for residents... just much more interaction with the other residency programs, more to see, more to learn. There were more ortho politics, but there was much more gained than lost for residents.

...but now, as an attending, give me small/medium facilities with easier parking and OR time and less politics any day of the week. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Quality of a podiatry program doesn’t mean a thing if hospital politics override it. All it takes is a push from admin or ortho to cut pod privileges, cancel call schedules, or limit resident involvement and a good program dies. Sometimes it’s just as simple as a money thing with not wanting to fund a resident program. It has happened to a couple solid programs over the last few years across the states.

This is often out of the control of attendings, residents, or podiatry boards. The bean counters have all the power unfortunately.

Last edited: