graduation and promotion to CPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor tooth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I commissioned the first time before my D1 year it was with a warrant officer in cold war era national guard quonset hut. My school puts on a ceremony for graduating HPSP students with a retired general who will swear us in, so obviously things are going to be more formal. My question is when we are promoted do we have to wear a uniform (like class a) for the swearing in or can i wear a suit?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not really a promotion, technically. As for the details, it's all up to whoever is arranging it. I would assume they want you all to do the same thing to make it look good. I wore a shirt and tie to swear into HPSP, when I superceded to LT I think I was in sweats.

Members don't see this ad :)
My promotion consisted of me velcroing my CPT's bar on my ACU's while they were hanging in the closet the day before I reported. I had a dentist I worked with sign my oath of office. Depends on where you are and if you care. That being said I was the only Army doc graduating in my class. We had one AF guy and I think he did the same thing I did. Pin it on yourself and take off.

In contrast a friend at Nova had to buy and wear his class a's and they made a big presentation out of it.

I would consider the promotion completely up to the person doing in....you don't even have to do a "formal" promotion. You can just wake up and put on the new rank...so anything else is just gravy..