Graduating without Work Experience/Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please, don't call people douchebags... its just not neccessary and unprofessional. Just because someone has a high GPA/PCAT doesn't mean that they are douchebags. As for working in their life... I think that is relative... is studying not working? By your defination... excuse me if I am misreading you... if you have a 4.0 ~ 99PCAT... you've had everything handed to you and don't deserve anything because others have worked deserve it more? You don't have any references because your grades are soo good... and must not have any good reason for being a pharmacist? Also, all people with high GPAs must not be sociable people... after your just a nerd because you have a high GPA?

I think your feelings are misplaced. Truth be told, there are douchebags on all sides of the field. Don't generalize because... that is quite offensive to many people.

This is an upgrade from the word he was using recently....

Members don't see this ad.

School teaches the knowledge base required by a pharmacist. Work teaches how to work as a pharmacist.

Work experience is just as important as school if not more. I would never hire a pharmacist who didn't intern anywhere. It says a lot about their priorities... unless the student had visa issues and couldn't work or something..

I just read this to my dad who is also a pharmacist and he just said "my fall semester of '81 I took 22 hours just so I wouldn't have to go another semester of pharmacy school and start making money so I could start a family, does that make me less of a pharmacist? no...why are you calling me, you should be studying"

I see your point but I don't think that not interning during pharmacy school means as much as you are trying to make us believe.

Neither Kansas, Missouri, Maryland require additional hours outside of APPEs. Oregon requires 2000 intern/clerkship hours (which is essentially 500 additional hours).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read this to my dad who is also a pharmacist and he just said "my fall semester of '81 I took 22 hours just so I wouldn't have to go another semester of pharmacy school and start making money so I could start a family, does that make me less of a pharmacist? no...why are you calling me, you should be studying"

I see your point but I don't think that not interning during pharmacy school means as much as you are trying to make us believe.

Something you and your dad need to understand.

1) There is a difference between not working for one semester because you want to graduate early and not working at all for four years.

2) There is no correlation anywhere between grades and performance as a pharmacist. None, nada. So therefore what grades you get is of no moment.

3) If you can't work part time and go to school, drop out, because you won't be able to be a pharmacist.

4) The entire reason why there is an IPPE program is that so many students were getting to their senior year with no experience that when they showed up at institutional (hospital) and community (retail) rotations, they were so incompetent that they were not getting anything out of the rotations and they were too much of a hindrance to their preceptors. If you read AACP noted that students did not have competencies necessary to partake in their sixth year rotations.

In other words, all students have to work for free because so many students are too lazy to work a few hours a week. Way to go guys.....

You actually have time to read this stuff to your daddy? Why don't you take that time to go work somewhere. Why would you read this to your daddy? You do know that pharmacy school in 1981 is different from today where taking 22 hours to graduate early is not an option, right?

I see your point but I don't think that not interning during pharmacy school means as much as you are trying to make us believe

You obviously don't see my point.

Last edited:

1) There is a difference between not working for one semester because you want to graduate early and not working at all for four years.

2) There is no correlation anywhere between grades and performance as a pharmacist. None, nada. So therefore what grades you get is of no moment.

3) If you can't work part time and go to school, drop out, because you won't be able to be a pharmacist.

4) The entire reason why there is an IPPE program is that so many students were getting to their senior year with no experience that when they showed up at institutional (hospital) and community (retail) rotations, they were so incompetent that they were not getting anything out of the rotations and they were too much of a hindrance to their preceptors. If you read AACP noted that students did not have competencies necessary to partake in their sixth year rotations.

In other words, all students have to work for free because so many students are too lazy to work a few hours a week. Way to go guys.....

What this old guy said..

Neither Kansas, Missouri, Maryland require additional hours outside of APPEs. Oregon requires 2000 intern/clerkship hours (which is essentially 500 additional hours).

Thanks for the info.

Pharmacy School's experiential curriculums have expanded greatly since the PharmD became required.

My totals upon graduation if I don't complete anymore paid hours:

APPE - 1680 hours
IPPE - 568 hours
Paid - 120 hours
Total - 2368 hours

Currently the state I live in requires 600 paid hours so if they don't change this in the next few months (the board of pharmacy is debating it now) and I decide to stay in this state to practice immediately upon graduation then I'll have greater than or equal to 2848 intern hours before I transition to a licensed PharmD.

You actually have time to read this stuff to your daddy? Why don't you take that time to go work somewhere. Why would you read this to your daddy? You do know that pharmacy school in 1981 is different from today where taking 22 hours to graduate early is not an option, right?

HAHA well lucky for me I multitask during my lunch. Don't treat me like a little boy.

And no, you have no idea what you are talking about. I was accepted to pharmacy school and will graduate with the class of 2013 due to the hours I'm going to put in to school. You must be kidding me.

Hmm well lucky for me I don't plan on stopping school after I graduate from pharmacy school.

:thumbup:

Something else we've seen in my class is that some people in the class were so sheltered growing up, they got overwhelmed by what they saw on their IPPEs. A bunch of them were actually surprised to see people not being able to pay for their meds, hell even if the copay was $3. Yeah guys, some people actually have to choose between food and meds. And then there were a few that were not exactly thrilled with the physical assessment part of pharmacy.

:thumbup:

Something else we've seen in my class is that some people in the class were so sheltered growing up, they got overwhelmed by what they saw on their IPPEs. A bunch of them were actually surprised to see people not being able to pay for their meds, hell even if the copay was $3. Yeah guys, some people actually have to choose between food and meds. And then there were a few that were not exactly thrilled with the physical assessment part of pharmacy.

A woman left her child in the parking lot at the pharmacy once.

How do you react to something like that? 6:00, it's raining, it's dark, you're about to leave and you see that...

A woman left her child in the parking lot at the pharmacy once.

How do you react to something like that? 6:00, it's raining, it's dark, you're about to leave and you see that...

You bring the child into the store, you call the cops and try and find out the mother's and child's information, and have the store manager go through the video recording to find out who the child came in with.

Hell, even if I had a hot date at 6:30PM, I'd just call up the girl and tell her that someone left their child at the store and I'm gonna be a little late. All it does is increase my chances of a positive outcome on the 1st date.

You bring the child into the store, you call the cops and try and find out the mother's and child's information, and have the store manager go through the video recording to find out who the child came in with.

Hell, even if I had a hot date at 6:30PM, I'd just call up the girl and tell her that someone left their child at the store and I'm gonna be a little late. All it does is increase my chances of a positive outcome on the 1st date.

I was talking more emotionally about how you react to that but of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wow.

i lol'd.

I havent even thought about the interning yet, but im just starting so I have time. Does working as a pharmacy assistant or Ptech count, or does it have to be an official internship in most states?

And no, you have no idea what you are talking about. I was accepted to pharmacy school and will graduate with the class of 2013 due to the hours I'm going to put in to school. You must be kidding me.

Are you a pharmacy student? If so.... how is graduating in 2013 considered accelerated? I would consider graduating from a 4 year PharmD program in less than 4 years or graduating from a 3 year PharmD program in less than 3 years accelerated.

What type of program are you in and how are you graduating early?

As far as experience and internships are concerned, everything being equal, here is the heirarchy of how I hire staff/clinical pharmacists at hospitals.

1. Residency trained pharmacist or pharmacist with hospital experience
2. Extensive hospital experience as an intern
3. Retail pharmacist with no hospital experience
4. Extensive intern experience non hospital

No work experience due to emphasis on school work and grades...those CV and resume get tossed. Why? those tend to lack the ability to see the big picture.

gsinccom,

Do you know where to find info on whether or not they are going to be changing the required 600 paid hours in Utah?

Thanks for the info.

Pharmacy School's experiential curriculums have expanded greatly since the PharmD became required.

My totals upon graduation if I don't complete anymore paid hours:

APPE - 1680 hours
IPPE - 568 hours
Paid - 120 hours
Total - 2368 hours

Currently the state I live in requires 600 paid hours so if they don't change this in the next few months (the board of pharmacy is debating it now) and I decide to stay in this state to practice immediately upon graduation then I'll have greater than or equal to 2848 intern hours before I transition to a licensed PharmD.

Are you a pharmacy student? If so.... how is graduating in 2013 considered accelerated? I would consider graduating from a 4 year PharmD program in less than 4 years or graduating from a 3 year PharmD program in less than 3 years accelerated.

What type of program are you in and how are you graduating early?

Are you joking?

I graduated high school in 2008 and will graduate pharmacy school, with the schedule I have right now, in 2013. 2013-2008 = 5 years. I'm in a 2+4 year program.

Are you joking?

I graduated high school in 2008 and will graduate pharmacy school, with the schedule I have right now, in 2013. 2013-2008 = 5 years. I'm in a 2+4 year program.

are you in a pharmd program now? Let me rephrase... are you in your "professional" phase of the PharmD program right now?

Last edited:
here is Australia any idiot can get into pharmacy. No interview, no bachelor degree, nothing. Just 80% in the high school exams (very easy) and you're in. So you can pretty much be a psycho cannibal and they'll accept you 'cos you have the marks.

Funny how it's so different in the US. Why do you need so much education to put pills into bottles? Pharmacists here in Australia have a 4 year BPharm. All of them are competent and hardly any mishaps.

Oh don't think it's 'cos we're backwards.

Medicine, veterinary and dentistry all require a bachelors and doctorate (7-8 years) before practicing. Only pharmacy requires such low education.

Are you joking?

I think you're kidding yourself. So if you've completed 60 units worth of pre reqs for the 4 year PharmD program and are now in a Professional phase and will graduate in 2013, that's 4 years. Again, how is that accelerated? Sure, you can acclerate the pre reqs by doing summer schools and CC while in High School or what not, but how are you acclerating the 4 year PharmD professional phase?

Oh don't think it's 'cos we're backwards.

Medicine, veterinary and dentistry all require a bachelors and doctorate (7-8 years) before practicing. Only pharmacy requires such low education.

Because American Pharmacists are smarter than Australians. Thank you for sending AC/DC..but you can have your Air Supply back! :thumbup:

I think you're kidding yourself. So if you've completed 60 units worth of pre reqs for the 4 year PharmD program and are now in a Professional phase and will graduate in 2013, that's 4 years. Again, how is that accelerated? Sure, you can acclerate the pre reqs by doing summer schools and CC while in High School or what not, but how are you acclerating the 4 year PharmD professional phase?

How is this hard to understand? I've worked out my schedule to do my professional work (4 years) in 3 and a half years and I did my pre-professional (2 years) in 1 and a half year. Therefore, I will graduate in 2013.

Yes, that's why my status says "Pharmacy Student"

Ok. So...how is graduating in 2013...which is 4 years considered accelerated? Remember, this thread is about pharmacy internship as a pharmacy student. Not pre req.

How is this hard to understand? I've worked out my schedule to do my professional work (4 years) in 3 and a half years and I did my pre-professional (2 years) in 1 and a half year. Therefore, I will graduate in 2013.

you're in your first semester of Professional year now right? You said you're graduating in 2013... that's 4 years. How is it 3.5 years?

Ok. So...how is graduating in 2013...which is 4 years considered accelerated? Remember, this thread is about pharmacy internship as a pharmacy student. Not pre req.

You brought it up so don't pin this on me.

No, how are you a pharmacist if you can't do simple math? I graduated in 2008 and I will get my Pharm.D in 2013. That is 5 years when the program is 6 years when not accelerating.

You brought it up so don't pin this on me.

No, how are you a pharmacist if you can't do simple math? I graduated in 2008 and I will get my Pharm.D in 2013. That is 5 years when the program is 6 years when not accelerating.

Again..my stance is that pharmD professional phase can not be accelerated unless you bunch up the rotations at the end. The professional phase follows a set curriculum of 6 semesters of didactic and 1 year or typically 36 units of rotations. How do you accelerate this?

you're in your first semester of Professional year now right? You said you're graduating in 2013... that's 4 years. How is it 3.5 years?

Good lord...

Pre-pharm = Fall 08-Fall 09
Pharm = Spring 10-Spring 13

Again..my stance is that pharmD professional phase can not be accelerated unless you bunch up the rotations at the end. The professional phase follows a set curriculum of 6 semesters of didactic and 1 year or typically 36 units of rotations. How do you accelerate this?

The last year in pharmacy school is nothing but rotations, you accelerate the classes which is what I'm doing.

Yes, that's why my status says "Pharmacy Student"

So... since Spring 10 isn't yet here.. yet you're saying you're in the professional phase.. I'm a little confused.

I was accepted and I start in the spring.

Oh..ok..so you're not really a pharmacy student yet like you claim. You're still wrapping up your pre-req.

So...which pharmacy program allows you to start your professional phase in Spring?

I'm an accepted pharmacy student...what's so hard to understand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO9Jyz82Ps

Oh.. It's not so hard to understand that you lied. On post 75, you said you're in a Professional Phase. Come to find out you're just finishing up pre-reqs..while you pretended to be a pharmacy student. Perhaps you should change your status to "Accepted Pharmacy Student."

Oh.. It's not so hard to understand that you lied. On post 75, you said you're in a Professional Phase. Come to find out you're just finishing up pre-reqs..while you pretended to be a pharmacy student. Perhaps you should change your title to "Accepted Pharmacy Student."

I'm just beginning the program, I didn't lie about anything. My major is now 'Pharmacy" so I am a pharmacy student.

I'm not pretending to be anything but then again, who are you to tell me that?

Good lord...

Pre-pharm = Fall 08-Fall 09
I didn't know that any pharmacy schools matriculated in the spring, I thought all started in the fall. But if you said you're accelerating, that means the school is usually fall 09-spring 13... so you're taking all the first semester classes along with the second semester classes at once?

I'm just beginning the program, I didn't lie about anything. My major is now 'Pharmacy" so I am a pharmacy student.

I'm not pretending to be anything but then again, who are you to tell me that?

You're not a pharmacy student. You're an accepted pharmacy student who has yet to take a single pharmacy class. Who am I? Most probably your future preceptor...if you're accepted to a pharmacy school as you say you are. So what school allows you to start a pharmd program in spring??

I didn't know that any pharmacy schools matriculated in the spring, I thought all started in the fall. But if you said you're accelerating, that means the school is usually fall 09-spring 13... so you're taking all the first semester classes along with the second semester classes at once?

Summer sessions?

I think he was just confused because your title and the way you were representing yourself earlier could easily have confused someone into thinking you were actually *in* as in *attending* pharmacy school.

I was never confused actually...I just wanted to hook line and sinker him.

You're not a pharmacy student. You're an accepted pharmacy student who has yet to take a single pharmacy class. Who am I? Most probably your future preceptor...if you're accepted to a pharmacy school as you say you are. So what school allows you to start a pharmd program in spring??

I'm taking 6 hours of pharmacy curriculum so I'm an accepted pharmacy student who is taking pharmacy classes.

My thought exactly.

I was never confused actually...I just wanted to hook line and sinker him.

Yeah what a great way to hide your lack of math skills lol

Still doesn't change the fact that I'm going to finish a 6 year program in 5 years.