Graduating Off Cycle DO pop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meditation007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating Off Cycle in mid July as result of failed shelf examinations in 3rd year. Average COMLEX I and above avg II.

What does this mean for applying through AOA match and application cycles?

Will I be able to apply this cycle or able to get a residency this cycle?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Mid July next year? I'm pretty sure you have to be ready by July 1st in order to start residency, though I'm not sure if AOA programs are more lenient.

Thanks. Does anyone have any more information about this situation? Graduation date is set for 18th of July, 17 days after the July 1st deadline. Will I not be able to participate in the AOA match?

Thanks. Does anyone have any more information about this situation? Graduation date is set for 18th of July, 17 days after the July 1st deadline. Will I not be able to participate in the AOA match?
You will not be able to participate in AOA or ACGME match. NRMP contract states that if you match, you will be available to start work July 1.

You will not be able to participate in AOA or ACGME match. NRMP contract states that if you match, you will be available to start work July 1.

So what are my remaining options for upcoming year?

So what are my remaining options for upcoming year?
1. Smack your school around and make them let you graduate by 6/30.
2. Off cycle PGY1 spots which inevitably pop up in Mid-July to late August when it becomes clear that other people like yourself (who were less honest), or those unable to obtain visas, are unable to start residency
3. Be that guy above and hope the program you match to needs you more than you need them.
4. Netflix and chill for a year.
5. Invent a time machine, go back in time and pass those shelf exams the first time.

Note that only options 1 and 2 are realistic...and maybe #4, if you can find someone to do that with.

#3 probably happens more than any of us wants to admit, but I can't/won't advocate for that.

Worst case TRIs often take off cycle applicants.

I'm under the impression that SOME programs in the AOA match allow for off-cycle applicants, but the NRMP match definitely does not-- I know a few people who went through or will be going through similar scenarios. However, I don't know the process of how to make it happen.