Graduating in June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Hancock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm graduating in the middle of June, specifically June 16th. When was your first official start date of residency, when you had to submit your medical school diploma and transcripts and all that document. Just wondering if my program starts early before I physically have my degree in hand, does it affect my eligibility? Will I be able to start?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm graduating in the middle of June, specifically June 16th. When was your first official start date of residency, when you had to submit your medical school diploma and transcripts and all that document. Just wondering if my program starts early before I physically have my degree in hand, does it affect my eligibility? Will I be able to start?

I don't remember submitting a copy of anything. You usually get a copy of the paperwork that they need shortly after the match (along with your contract, etc.) As long as they have that, you should be ok.

So, your bigger problem is not your program (though that may be a problem) but your temporary license (or training license, or however your state deals with it). You cannot start work as a physician in any capacity without a medical degree. It's flat out illegal. That said, very few programs actually start treating patients before June 16 - you might have *orientation* then, but sitting around listening to HR lecture about benefits or some administrator blather on about duty hours/fatigue mitigation doesn't require a medical degree.

How long it takes from the day you send them the degree until you're legally allowed to start work is probably highly state dependent. Most of the time, the training license is super streamlined (or it may even be automatic under the auspices of your attendings/institutions license), but you absolutely need your diploma before you can see a single patient as a resident.

So, your bigger problem is not your program (though that may be a problem) but your temporary license (or training license, or however your state deals with it). You cannot start work as a physician in any capacity without a medical degree. It's flat out illegal. That said, very few programs actually start treating patients before June 16 - you might have *orientation* then, but sitting around listening to HR lecture about benefits or some administrator blather on about duty hours/fatigue mitigation doesn't require a medical degree.

How long it takes from the day you send them the degree until you're legally allowed to start work is probably highly state dependent. Most of the time, the training license is super streamlined (or it may even be automatic under the auspices of your attendings/institutions license), but you absolutely need your diploma before you can see a single patient as a resident.
So I'm most likely going to match in NYC. I don't think they need a license if you're in residency if I'm not mistaken

So I'm most likely going to match in NYC. I don't think they need a license if you're in residency if I'm not mistaken
No, NY doesn't require a training license. People on SDN say all the time that you need one in any state, but that is just not true. However, besides NY, I don't know of any others (because I only trained in NY and NC, where I did need one).

No, NY doesn't require a training license. People on SDN say all the time that you need one in any state, but that is just not true. However, besides NY, I don't know of any others (because I only trained in NY and NC, where I did need one).
California doesn't do a training license and you can't get a real one until you have done enough training. So before then you are just under your attending (like you just sign your signature on Rx pads with their info on it)

California doesn't do a training license and you can't get a real one until you have done enough training. So before then you are just under your attending (like you just sign your signature on Rx pads with their info on it)
And that's an irony of CA - isn't it that you MUST have an unrestricted license before the end of PGY-2?

Arkansas did not require one for trainees. My friends doing EM obviously needed their own for independent moonlighting.

My prescriptions however didn't have any of my attendings information on them though...even ADHD meds just needed the institutional DEA number. But that was back in 2012 so I imagine it might have changed.

When you match, you should alert your program about this immediately. The match is legally binding for a July 1 start. As long as you're ready on July 1, they can't refuse to take you (even if their official start date is in June).

When you match, you should alert your program about this immediately. The match is legally binding for a July 1 start. As long as you're ready on July 1, they can't refuse to take you (even if their official start date is in June).
Thanks so much, your response is helpful and relieving. Will a final transcript with a degree conferral date of June 16th be sufficient/equivalent to a diploma for me to begin patient care activity on July 1st. Or do programs need my actual diploma, because as I understand it can take weeks for the physical diploma to be mailed out after graduation. I'm an American student btw

Last edited:
Unless you're an IMG. Then you need a PTAL to start. Which can be months to get it

A diploma should not be necessary. An updated transcript with your degree on it, or a letter from the school's registrar should suffice.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much, your response is helpful and relieving. Will a final transcript with a degree conferral date of June 16th be sufficient/equivalent to a diploma for me to begin patient care activity on July 1st. Or do programs need my actual diploma, because as I understand it can take weeks for the physical diploma to be mailed out after graduation. I'm an American student btw

Just ask your program. Every place handles it differently. As long as you have graduated before July 1 you will be fine to start residency. The program will give you all the info you need about which paperwork is necessary. I did have to submit copies of my diploma to my internship and advanced year programs, however if their was a delay in printing I'm sure they would've accepted some other documentation to confirm I had graduated in the meantime.

I recommend you tell your program immediately upon matching. It will vary by program - some will not let you attend orientation without having your diploma.