Graduating and nothing to show for it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScholarlyBS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm graduating with a life sci degree but my gpa is around 3.1-3.2 and I don't know what I can go into at this point. Should I do a masters? pa? pharmacy? give up and become a house wife (worst case scenario lol)? I took the pcat and got a 77 composite, but i only started studying 3 days before. I got 90 bio, 86 chem, 78 reading, 29 math(ran out of time because I was so focused on one problem when I could have easily just skipped it).
I did apply to waterloo pharmacy and mcmaster pa, I'm thinking of applying to uft too, but they require 910 hours of healthcare hours. I only have 40 hours of volunteering and 100s of shadowing hours in clinics and pharmacies (do these count?) I also volunteered in old age homes and daycares (but lets be real, these aren't healthcare)... Honestly I'm really lost and confused as to what I can be at this point, feels like I don't have any chances at all. :( Please SOS

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you're rushing yourself. There is no hurry. If you don't get in somewhere this year, work for a year (preferably in healthcare - you can get a job as a pharmacy assistant without any college; some other healthcare jobs require brief community college programs) and reapply.

It sounds like you could easily retake the PCAT and score in the 90th percentile or higher with a better test-taking strategy.

What's leading to your indecision between pharmacy and PA?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your advice, I guess I really do need to chill out. It's just been stressing me out because I feel like I'm running out of time and I heard its very competitive as people have GPAs of 3.8 and above lol. I just ruined my gpa due to personal problems last year and it felt like I wouldn't get into any programs. I would really like working in the healthcare field, honestly I'm leaning towards becoming a pharmacist. I like volunteering at pharmacies and the hospital ER (which is what I imagine being a PA would be like). I just thought that I would apply to both programs anyways, since the pa one only takes 2 years (2 gruelling years lol). I wouldn't mind working as a PA(sounds very interesting and fulfilling), or as a pharmacist. Both are quite different, but something I can see myself doing. I guess I should just try my best and re-apply later if needed (will be needed). I'm just not sure if I should stay another year in undergrad or do a post bacc or masters since my gpa is quite low.

Sorry for my terrible grammar and thanks again for the guidance and support (really needed to hear its gonna be ok lol)^

Members don't see this ad :)
I would continue to apply to any programs whose minimum requirements you meet, as some programs (e.g. Waterloo pharmacy) really like healthcare experience and you have that.

I wouldn't do a masters, as pharmacy programs only look at your undergrad GPA (I think it's the same for PA, but I'm not completely sure.) Taking more undergrad courses is a possibility.

I think I'm gonna graduate and try to get more experience (as a pharmacy assistant) if I don't get in this year, and I'm gonna apply to the pharm and pa program. If I don't get in this year, I'll try for dental (took the dat too late and so it doesn't count for this cycle) and everything again

Reactions: 1 user