Graduated, No residency...What next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePodFather

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from podiatry school. Part 2 did not workout for me. I will be retaking the exam in November. My question to all of you current DPM and residents is what should I do in addition to passing part 2 in order match/get a good residency? I have to work to cover my rent and living expenses so I was planning on getting some sort of job. I believe DPMs without residency cannot practice. I honestly have no idea what my move is next work wise. Any advice would be nice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I just graduated from podiatry school. Part 2 did not workout for me. I will be retaking the exam in November. My question to all of you current DPM and residents is what should I do in addition to passing part 2 in order match/get a good residency? I have to work to cover my rent and living expenses so I was planning on getting some sort of job. I believe DPMs without residency cannot practice. I honestly have no idea what my move is next work wise. Any advice would be nice.

I don’t know much about the subject, but some places you can practice. There are residents who have gotten kicked out of residencies etc without completing who are practicing non op. Also others who went into other fields entirely, it’s definitely not the end of the world.

At the end of the day you still have a doctorate level education which can set you up for good jobs not related to being a podiatrist.

Fellowship. There are many unfilled.

...just study hard and pass pt2. Study a bunch, do many practice tests.
It is critically important that you pass this cycle. Study and study some more. There is a thread in pod student forum with study materials for pt2 and pt3 ( basically same test).
You can't let this carry 4yrs until the new pod schools are graduating, or there will almost surely be a residency shortage for grads... and almost no chance of past year grads matching/scrambling.

You could do a summer labor job or whatever pays the bills... railroad, road construction, etc can pay well. Get creative.

You could try to work mobile podiatry, but you don't have a licence, so you'd probably just be assistant to another DPM (think podiatry PA), and they'd know you're in a precarious situation and probably pull the podiatry move of trying to pay you as little as possible. I'd avoid that unless the $ is much better. Studying will keep you afloat until residency. GL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know much about the subject, but some places you can practice. There are residents who have gotten kicked out of residencies etc without completing who are practicing non op. Also others who went into other fields entirely, it’s definitely not the end of the world.
From what I have been reading online, you have to complete 1 year of post graduate training (1 year of residency) to be able to work without completing residency, In addition, you have to pass boards part 2 and 3 to practice. I'm looking into pretty much anything at this point job wise.

You could do a summer labor job or whatever pays the bills.

You could try to work mobile podiatry, but you don't have a licence, so you'd probably just be assistant to another DPM (think podiatry PA), and they'd know you're in a precarious situation and probably pull the podiatry move of trying to pay you as little as possible. GL
I had no idea you could do a fellowship without completing residency. Could you give me more information regarding these fellowships.

Your situation is complicated and unfortunate. I'm sorry its happening to you. Among your many problems, you aren't eligible for APMLE Part 3.

"To be initially eligible to take the Part III examination, a candidate must have passed the Part I and Part II examinations, including, where applicable, both Part II written examination and the Part II CSPE."

If you had graduated, passed Part 2, but not matched to a residency I would tell you to take Part 3 and then investigate states that will allow some form of practice without residency ie. historically Pennsylvania. You could also "forego" money by trying to perform some sort of preceptorship in a doctor's office where you essentially trade time and money in exchange for getting to stay close to the profession and hopefully get a letter of recommendation.

Your highest priority is to pass part 2. It would be nice to do other things, stay current, work on something to boost your now compromised app etc. Nothing though is more important than Part 2.

I would get out a calendar and mark out every date for your future ie. when Part 2 is, when interviews are, etc and count down the number of days till each event and then start figuring out how you'll make a little something meaningful happen for each of those things.

Reactions: 1 users
I had no idea you could do a fellowship without completing residency. Could you give me more information regarding these fellowships.
I was joking, but they might be an option.
There are a ton of crusty fellowships. Look at the APMA/CPME ones... I'm sure half of those jokes went unfilled.

You could probably make more $ and have more time to study just working a non-podiatry job, though.

You cant. I think he was being sarcastic.

You will get dog$**** for reimbursement but working for a DPM for a year will keep your mind in the game.

You cant. I think he was being sarcastic.

You will get dog$**** for reimbursement but working for a DPM for a year will keep your mind in the game.
I was totally joking, but come to think of it, it actually might be worth a few calls. The low end derm/wound 'fellowships' might morph into preceptorships (in name only) for him this year and in the future if there's another residency shortage. It would be worth a try if he wants to stay in podiatry during the gap year (would only be able to do supervised clinic, no OR or solo consults/clinic). Fellowships have to expect to be doing much more supervision than PP jobs, though... and they pay less and should expect less. So, it was a joke since fellowships are podiatry's answer to everything, but if it's a leave-no-stone-unturned mission to find a podiatry job for the gap year, it's not totally crazy.

I'm sure more than a few low end fellowships are vacant for 2023-24, but they wouldn't really pay any more than a job you wouldn't have to relocate for, and they'd likely cut the already low pay for someone who doesn't have a license + residency.

I knew a couple. One was a shoe in, just part 2 gave him issues. The other failed part two and worked in a podiatrist office for a year. I think he did like post ops etc. Would visit programs. Both got a spot the following year.

can you pm me an email ? I will send you some stuff that I promise you will not fail if you study a little bit! or I can introduce you another option for potentially making 100k+ if you don't want this career anymore

Reactions: 3 users
Preceptorship or whatever pays the most. I would just do what pays the most and find an APMA friendly podiatrist to occasionally shadow. When we had residency shortages that is what others did. Pass the test and you will get something as there is no residency shortage now. If they have a spot to fill they will not care you had to support yourself and could not do full time podiatry. Others have been in your situation before,

PM me, I know a guy who does preceptorships. I can also help with study material. Do not give up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to sound flippant, but low wage jobs are starting around $15/hr most places these days. You have bills to pay, and something like that or waiting tables will probably pay better than a preceptor job. I did an office rotation 4th year in school at an office with preceptors working in it, and they all looked depressed as hell to be there and I felt for them. Judging from the guy that hired them, I assumed he was paying them beans.

Not to sound flippant, but low wage jobs are starting around $15/hr most places these days. You have bills to pay, and something like that or waiting tables will probably pay better than a preceptor job. I did an office rotation 4th year in school at an office with preceptors working in it, and they all looked depressed as hell to be there and I felt for them. Judging from the guy that hired them, I assumed he was paying them beans.

Also Buccees and Panda Express managers get paid over 100k. Could probably cheese your way into one of those positions having the education of a doctor.

On a more serious note I echo the others here saying don’t give up. This happens to multiple graduates every year and they go on to do well. As with many obstacles in life, having the fortitude to continue on and bounce back after failures will make you a very strong person with a quality/drive that others don’t possess.

And if you decide to do something else entirely, just know that there are many who have done the same and are doing well years out.

Last edited:
Here's an educational pearl out there for all you young podiatrists without a license: just lie and say you have one.

Then you match to a residency 5 years after you graduate after failing part 2 6 times

When questioned on your license find someone with a similar name that has a state license in anything (such as cosmetology.) Then tell your program there was a mixup and the board gave you the wrong license. Even though the middle names are different.

Carry on in residency until 5 months before graduation when the hospital administration checks your license, find out you don't actually have one and fires you on the spot, not letting you finish your program. Disappear into the woodworks.

This literally happened at a program close to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Do a preceptorship with someone that is affiliated with a residency program or is the director of it. I know a graduate that was in your shoes and did a preceptorship, 1 or 2 years, (getting paid very low to survive) and made it into the residency program. It's survival, but you have to stay close to the field if you wish to continue with it. Study for the APMLE Part 2 and pass it the next time and then take Part 3 in the spring/summer or whenever it's given, pass it. Have everything under your belt. Don't give up. Overcome this hurdle and never look back. You're not alone and this happens to a few graduates every year.

If you get a medical assistant job you can perhaps learn about billing and practice management while getting a decent wage and benefits.

Let others evaluate this idea though if you seriously consider it.

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I’ve been studying for the exam that’s coming up in November and working. The job market for a Dpms without a residency is non-existent. I’ve been working for a furniture store delivering furniture. Im just hoping there’s light at the end of this tunnel. If you guys have any last sec advice please share

Perhaps see if any podiatry office nearby would hire you as a scribe? That way you still get some experience for when you pass and go to residency interviews.
100% second this. You need the clinical experience to stay sharp and relevant to the field.

Respect for working for a furniture store delivering furniture. It is back breaking. Folks think clipping toenails is baddddddd for your back. Go work delivering furniture and report back. I will clip nails all day and twice on Sunday (and finish with lotion) rather than deliver furniture.

It is critically important that you pass this cycle. Study and study some more. There is a thread in pod student forum with study materials for pt2 and pt3 ( basically same test).
You can't let this carry 4yrs until the new pod schools are graduating, or there will almost surely be a residency shortage for grads... and almost no chance of past year grads matching/scrambling.

You could do a summer labor job or whatever pays the bills... railroad, road construction, etc can pay well. Get creative.

You could try to work mobile podiatry, but you don't have a licence, so you'd probably just be assistant to another DPM (think podiatry PA), and they'd know you're in a precarious situation and probably pull the podiatry move of trying to pay you as little as possible. I'd avoid that unless the $ is much better. Studying will keep you afloat until residency. GL
Second this. I lucked out being class of 2026. Classes after mine will have a big fight for residency spots now that there are 11 schools instead of 9. Getting a good residency is probably even tougher.

Best of luck OP. On the bright side, part 2 is 99-100% pass rate last time I checked.

Second this. I lucked out being class of 2026. Classes after mine will have a big fight for residency spots now that there are 11 schools instead of 9. Getting a good residency is probably even tougher.

Best of luck OP. On the bright side, part 2 is 99-100% pass rate last time I checked.
Not necessarily. There’s always scramble programs and the addition of 2 new schools equate about 50 combined BUT remember majority of other schools such as KSUCPM only filled half of its max number so the residency application number will see what stay the same. Anyways welcome to podiatry and now is the time to drop out because this profession is not it for young generation of students / grads

Be a research assistant. There are funding for some of these. You might even get a publication out of it. It will look good on your resume. Many MDs delay a year to do research, more common in Europe, but still doesn’t look as suspicious.

Reactions: 4 users