Graduated cum laude ... with a 3.05?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salutations

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It'll be extremely difficult for you with that GPA...upward trends do help but when it's that low it's kind of a moot point :/

You always have a chance--but it'll be a low one. With DO you'd have a much better chance if you're willing to give up the MD title, I'd def apply to some DO schools if you weren't planning on it already.

Good luck with your MCAT scores! A 34 would be beast.

Now, might the insightful adcoms have familiarity with this school? If not, might a properly worded statement spin this dismal looking 3.05 into a golden-threaded "3.5"?
And do I even need to worry so much? Here's some background: BS Chem E, Minor chemistry, cum laude,

They might be familiar with your schools, but nothing is going to change a 3.05 to a 3.5. There are threads that discuss "hard" versus "easy" universities and some adcoms have talked in those, basically stating that a 3.4 at a hard university versus a 3.5 at an easy one may be similar, but a 3.0 will never beat a 3.5. Your major was hard, but many adcom members don't take that into consideration. Minors don't really matter.

sucks.

Maybe look into DO schools and apply to your state schools (since they would be the ones familiar with your university). Even with a 34 MCAT, you are looking at a sub 50% acceptance rate.

Link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12108119#post12108119

Members don't see this ad :)
With DO you'd have a much better chance if you're willing to give up the MD title, I'd def apply to some DO schools if you weren't planning on it already.
Haha, I'm more philosophically aligned with osteopathy, but it was more of a title thing :D But, that is a good idea, thanks.

Well, my ideal school was UW because of its ability to turn out rural GPs. The chart brings in a light of hope.. especially that part where two 2.75-2.99 made it but not 3.00-3.24 w/ 8-9 MCAT lol!
academic-standards.jpg

Anyway, you two cleared up my question :) thanks. Best to forget about it and just do what I have to do... biology studies incoming.

Yeah, but UW is notoriously difficult to get into being out of state. Unless you have extensive (and I mean extensive) service to underserved populations, then go ahead and save yourself the application fees.

Check the school specific thread. There are a few applicants OOS with +3.9 and +38 that are being rejected pre-secondary.

And UW is not going to give you any slack for your GPA.

Hoping for a 34 is a bit of a stretch considering you only scored a 31. I scored 12 on bio without taking one bio course in my undergrad. On practices I was getting 14-15. Really all depends on the test! Was averaging 36 and hit 39 a couple of times but ended with the 33. Still happy with the score though.

I agree--a buddy of mine got a 28 on a practice, and then a 35. Good thing they're making tests with high predictability...

But I mean, that was a 31 without *any* preparation. At all. Just hearsay of the MCAT formatting, my basic science coursework from 2008, no formal biology, and no examkracking and what have you. Oh well, talk is cheap (til I write my personal statement). Only time will tell, etc etc.

I guess the only other question I have is... Besides autofellatious conversation, what else is attending a prestigious school good for? I mean, compared to a relatively unheard-of school which still yields a good/great education, does it make that big of a difference when going for a residency?

Keep in mind, I'm not exactly aspiring for neurosurgery. Rural GP is actually my preference. But, a good one at that I've heard enough stories from locals about $#!% rural docs who can barely tie their own shoes, let alone tying up a stitch or a splint.

Last edited:
I guess the only other question I have is... Besides autofellatious conversation, what else is attending a prestigious school good for? I mean, compared to a relatively unheard-of school which still yields a good/great education, does it make that big of a difference when going for a residency?

Keep in mind, I'm not exactly aspiring for neurosurgery. Rural GP is actually my preference. But, a good one at that :) I've heard enough stories from locals about $#!% rural docs who can barely tie their own shoes, let alone tying up a stitch or a splint.

Keep in mind that I'm only pre-med (so don't trust me), but from what I've heard others say, super prestigious med schools may make a slight difference in residencies, but overall it doesn't matter at all. Couple that with the fact that Primary care is not competitive at all, you'll be in the clear with any school you go to (in my opinion). Including DO schools.

So two if guys win the Lotto, you think you will too?

We AdComs call people in the below avg range like you point out "specials" or legacies" . They are either friends/relations of the Dean, alumni, or Faculty, or come with a major donation to the school.

Alas, a 3.05 is not viewed in the light of how rigorous the program is. You'll be autoscreened out of most applications. You do have a chance with DO schools.

Haha, I'm more philosophically aligned with osteopathy, but it was more of a title thing :D But, that is a good idea, thanks.

Well, my ideal school was UW because of its ability to turn out rural GPs. The chart brings in a light of hope.. especially that part where two 2.75-2.99 made it but not 3.00-3.24 w/ 8-9 MCAT lol!
academic-standards.jpg

Anyway, you two cleared up my question :) thanks. Best to forget about it and just do what I have to do... biology studies incoming.

So two if guys win the Lotto, you think you will too?
No, I think you have typographical dyslexia :laugh: just playing. But seriously, I do think you missed the "light of hope" part. Even if it's but a photon:xf:

They are either friends/relations of the Dean, alumni, or Faculty, or come with a major donation to the school.
Not surprising as this is essentially how 1) the world works and 2) someone who isn't me :rolleyes: -- a friend-of-a-daughter-of-a-dean lightly loop-holed the undergrad system, so no real complaint here. Except that it was a b.s. requirement anyway (yes, double entendre) and several, unrelated higher/highest-ups agree.

Alas, a 3.05 is not viewed in the light of how rigorous the program is. You'll be autoscreened out of most applications. You do have a chance with DO schools.
Gross generalizations? I'll take this comment with a micromole of salt.

The number (3.05) matters, not the "graduated with honors" title. Tons of applicants graduated cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude. Med schools don't care. They care what your GPA was.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I think you have typographical dyslexia :laugh: just playing. But seriously, I do think you missed the "light of hope" part. Even if it's but a photon:xf:

Not surprising as this is essentially how 1) the world works and 2) someone who isn't me :rolleyes: -- a friend-of-a-daughter-of-a-dean lightly loop-holed the undergrad system, so no real complaint here. Except that it was a b.s. requirement anyway (yes, double entendre) and several, unrelated higher/highest-ups agree.

Gross generalizations? I'll take this comment with a micromole of salt.

Goro is right. A 3.05 will screen you out of just about every MD school unless you are a URM. Since you're new, you probably don't know that Goro is a DO ADCOM.

A 31 is great on the practice test, but the free one is considered a lot easier than say test #10 or 11, which are more like the real thing. The test is a beast but with proper studying and self-discipline, a 34 can be obtained.

And yeah listen to Goro.

Ahh, nothing like magic thinking. Worked wonders for Steve Jobs and his cancer.

That's sarcasm there.

Back to your original thought on the rigor of a program overcoming a low GPA, I have seen occasions in the AdCom meeting process, where we discuss the most recent bevy of interviewees, that people will point out that, say a 3.3 GPA from UC Berkeley is a lot more meaningful than a 3.8 from Noname College.

So you see that you have get to the interview stage before a school's reputation will do you any good. I will also point out that medical school AdCom members will hardly be familiar with the UM School of Mines.

On top of that, we've learned from bitter experience thatt excellent engineering students do not necessarily make excellent medical students. There seems to be a difference in understanding difficult concepts, with being able to absorb a huge amounts of information in a short period of time, and then being able to apply it.

In the big picture with even tens of thousands of applicants at some schools, ADCOM don't care about the name of the school or your major that much. The only thing they care about is your GPA, MCAT and ECs. They will also care about upward trend and any extenuating circumstances that led to such a low GPA.

Unless you get 40+ on the MCAT you have ZERO chance of getting into a US MD program. Don't argue with everyone who know more about this than you. If you don't want the advice, don't ask for it.

I went to the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. The undergrads and faculty agree that "it is hard." The breakdown for honors is 3.0-3.5 cum laude, 3.5-3.75 magna, 3.75-4.0 summa. Their graduation rates are 15% for 4 years, 40% for 5years, and 48% for 6 years.

As titled, I graduated with a 3.05 and therefore with honors. Moreover, I got a pin saying "I did it in 4!" for being in that super special 15% :rolleyes:

Now, might the insightful adcoms have familiarity with this school? If not, might a properly worded statement spin this dismal looking 3.05 into a golden-threaded "3.5"?
And do I even need to worry so much? Here's some background: BS Chem E, Minor chemistry, cum laude, 1 pub in bioorg med chem lett, employment as research assistant & nmt choir accompanist & church organist, tons of musical volunteering (childrens' theater, nursing homes, etc.), some shadowing (rounds, colonoscopy, laparocholecystotomies)

Pending is Pharm Tech, MCAT (test on friday! cockily expecting a 34+), and possibly another pub in Chem Comm. Also, 3 letters of rec will attest to my academic prowess (despite what the GPA shows) while 2 more to my hard-working / extracurriculars, one from an employer (not research) and another from an MD.
Edit: I expect a 34+ because I took the timed AAMC free practice exam about a week ago and received a 31: 12 phys, 10 verb, 9 bio. And that's without *any* formal studies in biology. Accordingly, I've been slamming bio sci and verbal q's into my pupils as well as my auricles (thanks examkrackers)

Perhaps one interesting detail is the fact that my GPA looked harmonically damped: from low to high to low to high... I had to keep a cumulative 3.0 by the end of the spring semester to maintain my scholarship... Sounds terrible, I know. But e.g., as a Sophomore I received a C- in ChE 326, acing the tests and failing the HWs :sleep: However, the same semester I outperformed Juniors to ace ChE 451, rxn kinetics, with good (AKA mostly completed) HW scores and great test scores.
Also, I work best under pressure with near-impossible deadlines... In fact, I saved 17 credit hours for my last semester, Senior Design for the last 2 weeks, and then 9 online BYU credits in literally the last 10 days to make the graduation deadline... Start to finish, professor grading time, transcripts, everything. And finished with a 3.12 semester GPA... Could I spin "potential ER doc" in my statement? :laugh:

Seriously though, if they notice this trend... what will they think? I don't work hard :(? What can I tell them? I'd get more stimulation from a 1-Hz strobe light, that I respond to real academic challenges?

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thank you for reading.

p.s. my writing will not be this $#!%ty for the mcat
My spider senses are tingling. This seems like an above average troll post.

Signs:
-well below average GPA but thinks that a silly "honor" will make up for it
-unrealistic expectations for an MCAT score that make no logical sense (has not yet studied, has taken no bio classes, took a very dated practice exam and expects to get a better score with only a week to prepare)
-very silly style of writing(inserting random science terms like you would expect on a PBS children's science special)
-pretends to think like a stereotypical "idiot premed" wanting to call himself a "potential ER doc" in his PS to make himself seem important
-appears to not think his situation is serious despite the fact that someone with his stats has almost no chance of getting into medical school
-argumentative about things that are pretty obvious in a way designed to get people to argue back at him

Signs:
-unrealistic expectations for an MCAT score that make no logical sense (has not yet studied, has taken no bio classes, took a very dated practice exam and expects to get a better score with only a week to prepare)
-very silly style of writing(inserting random science terms like you would expect on a PBS children's science special)
-pretends to think like a stereotypical "idiot premed" wanting to call himself a "potential ER doc" in his PS to make himself seem important
-appears to not think his situation is serious despite the fact that someone with his stats has almost no chance of getting into medical school
-argumentative about things that are pretty obvious in a way designed to get people to argue back at him

Maybe the OP is a troll, however the topic isn't very "trolling" because it's not causing drama/debate/flame war, which is typically the point of trolling.

Right?

Maybe the OP is a troll, however the topic isn't very "trolling" because it's not causing drama/debate/flame war, which is typically the point of trolling.

Right?

There are many forms of trolling. Some people just get kicks out of wasting the time of people who go on forums like this to help others.

Signs:

There are many forms of trolling. Some people just get kicks out of wasting the time of people who go on forums like this to help others.

First you misuse "straw man" and then "trolling".. Perhaps you sir are the real troll.

Signs:

I agree but also disagree with some of the things stated.

I fully understand what a straw man is. You are the one who was mistaken.

That said, you are currently committing ad hominem. Look it up.

I think it's time we ignore the thread instead of attacking some and calling others trolls. I'm sure OP has a legitimate post. It's unfortunate that OP is not aware of the medical school process but that does not make him a troll. I know plenty of kids in my undergrad that had GPAs < 3.2 but scored > 34 on the MCAT, it's called being smart but lazy.

academic-standards.jpg

Just to clear up some misinterpretation from this chart...The few people who got accepted with a 2.5 to 3.0 undergraduate GPA's DID POST-BACC Programs to increase there perceived GPA.

That's straight from the Admissions Dean for UWSOM.

Ahh, nothing like magic thinking. Worked wonders for Steve Jobs and his cancer.

That's sarcasm there.
Hahahaha. Thanks for clarifying, that internet sarcasm could have gone unnoticed...

...:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again for all your responses. I suppose I won't even waste my time=money shooting for the stars.

Now, are my chances competitive enough for a DO school? App for the top 10? All with reasonable tuition? I *really* do not want any more than this year off from education. So, in other words: Will it be necessary to go ahead and sign up for the GRE now, ask my Letter-writers to paraphrase their originals for a post bacc, etc.?

Last edited:
Without an MCAT it's hard to say, but a 3.05 is at the bottom end of competetive, especially for schools like MSUCOM, TCOM or Kirksville. I don't think you;d get an interview at ours...we fluctuate between a minimum of 3.0 and 3.25, depending upon how many applications we're getting.

For medical school, you'll need the MCAT, not GRE. A post-bac program/SMP would definitely tell us if you're capable of handling a medical school curriculum.

Anyway, thanks again for all your responses. I suppose I won't even waste my time=money shooting for the stars.

Now, are my chances competitive enough for a DO school? App for the top 10? All with reasonable tuition? I *really* do not want any more than this year off from education. So, in other words: Will it be necessary to go ahead and sign up for the GRE now, ask my Letter-writers to paraphrase their originals for a post bacc, etc.?[/QUOTE]

On top of that, we've learned from bitter experience thatt excellent engineering students do not necessarily make excellent medical students. There seems to be a difference in understanding difficult concepts, with being able to absorb a huge amounts of information in a short period of time, and then being able to apply it.
Oh, and, don't worry. I'll have a clause in the statement demonstrating my ability to graduate in Spring 2012 by completing 9 credit hours thru online BYU in ~10 days.

Ouch. If it's any consolation, your school might be known for its toughness regionally. But the first thing schools will see is a 3.05.