Graduate Leverage 2.875?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So these guys came to my school and Im not sure how they do it but even if you have already consolidated they can re-consolidate you at 2.875 then still give you 1% off after 36 months. Whats really crazy is one the 200K I can consolidate with them my payments would be super low..

Anyhow just wanted to let you guys know about this.. Shoot they are even consolidating my loans from this yr (which are at 4.7%) at the 2.875% rate.. I dont know how but as long as it works I dont really care.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. That's what they're doing for consolidation? Almost makes me wish I actually had enough loans to consolidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience with GL....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked to one of the founders at GL last week. He stayed on the phone for me for 28 mins talking to me about my options. One of the first things I wanted to know was: what is in it for GL? His reply was as stated in their web-site (www.graduateleverage.com). That the whole situation stemmed from a conversation that was had during class one day about consolidating their loans post-graduation, nobody knew jack so they came up with a project to research the industry. Presented to the class, got the credit and didn't think much of it. Then they rec'd a call from the med school (or law school, one of them) asking if they would come present what they researched to the graduating seniors, things snow-balled and they realized that they may be on to something. The whole idea behind GL is to use "collective bargaining" to "leverage" better bene's from lenders. Great, but how does GL make out on this? Well, the founder told me that all school loans are subsidized by gov't. So, even though we pay 2.87% on our loans, the bank gets an additional margin added by Da G. During the "collective bargaining" Graduate Leverage negotiates to receive part of that subsidy in return for facilitating the transaction between grad students (read "low risk / high return borrowers") and traditonal student loan providers (read "Sallie Mae, American Educational Service, Great Lakes Higher Ed, KHEAA, Ed Financial, etc.). So, indeed, "the butcher does not butcher meat out of the kindness of his heart".

Their recommendation for out of school students is to go with AES (has something to do with Perkins Loan rates - I don't know anything about this). For inschool consolidation, they recommended EdFinancial (they're out of TN, I ckd the BBB and they are legit). I am still looking for anyone else who went with GL or is thinking about it. After reviewing their website, talking to one of the founders (who by the way gave me his cell number to call back directly if I needed) and seeing what else is out there, I'm going to roll with GL.

One more quick question, does anyone know what was the initial event that sparked this end-run around the current inschool prohibition of consolidating? I'm sort of curious.

Hope this helps. Keep up the exchange of info - this might help save someone thousands of dollars!

Here's a post that I put up last year when I was in the process of consolidating with GL. It helps explain how GL makes its money - there have been a few posts recently that have been questioning how their business plan works. So far, I have had no problems with this organization and actually have had excellent customer service (better than I have rec'd in quite some time).

I did elect to consolidate again with them this year. And yes, I was as incredulous as some of you last year when I started working with them. I made sure I read all the fine print. And even checked the BBB for their recommendation last year - didn't want to end up with some fly by night company.

Brazos is no longer in business? No wonder they didn't return my email.

UserNameNeeded said:

I don't think they're out of business. Maybe try calling. Where there is a will....whatever.

UserNameNeeded said:

Brazos appears to be a pretty solid company. They are ranked 22nd in origination volume, 6th in holder volume and 9th in consolidation volume.

http://finaid.org/loans/biglenders.phtml

I just consolidated with Graduate Leverage also. I did have to include one Perkins loan (around $3500) to get around the Single Lender Rule.

You can't beat 3.75% interest during deferment, 2.875% once repayment starts and 1.875% after 36 months.

According to an email I just received from theLoanster.com and subsequent research. The single lender rule will be gone as of the end of the week.

Votes on the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill, H.R. 4939 are expected in the House on Monday and the Senate on Tuesday; the bill is expected to pass and be signed by the President before the end of the week. The repeal of the Single Holder Rule, which is on P. 18 of the Conference Report, will take effect for all applications received on or after that date.

Everyone can now get great borrower benefits.

By the way, as I have discussed on other boards, theLoanster offers better benefits than GL-They offer them immediately-and their affiliationwith bigger institutions (AES,USBank)bodes well for the safety of the deal. (as opposed to Brazos and Montana)

Don't forget, immediate reduction means you get the benefit through your deferment! If you have a lender that makes you wait 24-36 months for your benefits. Your interest will accrue for those years at the original interest rate. SO....3 years of deferment + 3 years of on time payments= No rate reductions for 6 years!!!!

Is anyone having issues with their new servicer not honoring the original Graduate Leverage loan terms? I consolidated in 2006 with the 2.875, loan was sold several times, now with Nelnet. Nelnet refuses to honor my interest rate and incentives and instead gave me some random interest rate and incentive.