Grad vs. undergrad classes in DIY post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xvndr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've decided to do a small DIY post-bacc at my alma mater and originally planned on doing 3 undergrad classes. As luck would have it, two of the classes are already full and the professors aren't able to accommodate me as an undergraduate. These classes are, however, combined with graduate students and i would just receive graduate credit instead of undergraduate credit for them.

The reason I'm taking these classes is to make me competitive for SMPs with linkages that have 2.75 minimum requirements. I applied this cycle and was told by a few schools that I was a good candidate other than the subpar GPA. They recommended I take more upper-level sciences to make me competitive. Since two of these will be graduate classes in my post-bacc, that means they won't count toward my uGPA, rather my gGPA. I'm worried that this won't help me much after the SMP, since my uGPA will still be so low.

Does anyone have any recommendations/opinions? Should I still take these classes even if they're on the graduate level to show that I can handle upper-levels?

edit: 2.72 cGPA and 498 MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems like taking graduate level classes would be a waste of time and money if an SMP is looking at your undergrad gpa for admission.

If you’re applying to DO schools, AACOMAS will generate a gpa for schools to see that combines grad and undergrad, and that can get you past the 3.0 gpa screens at some schools.