GPR - LSU GPR Baton Rouge BR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b0b0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Information about LSU GPR Baton Rouge with Dr. Lynda Harhad as Program Director.

Attendings: general dentist, one prosthodontist 2 times a month
Patient pool: not enough patients
Rotations: VA, OMFS, Emergency medicine, Anethesia
VA (2mo): A lot of restorative, crown/bridge, endo and consistent patient pool
OMFS(1mo): little to no extractions. Lots of exposure to jaw surgery, orthognathic, trauma
Emergency medicine (1mo) at Our Lady of the Lake: see and diagnose patients in the emergency room (odd hours)
Anesthesia (1mo am only): place 20 IVs as a requirement

The program director Lynda Harhad is an extremely unprofessional person with personal vendetta towards residents/people she does not like. For it being a dental graduate program, there isn't a lot of dentistry that goes on. Patient are always disgruntled. Majority of treatment consist of comprehensive exams, prophys and extractions.
They have some sort of connection with Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center and there is a handful of full mouth extractions for cancer patients prior to cancer treatment.
There isn't a lot of crown and bridge procedures because most of the patients cannot afford it.
Not too much restorative and endo.
Some implants here an there.
Call for our lady of the lake: you are thrown in there without any help; attending will not help during calls (you're on your own)

Would I recommend this program? I would not recommend this program to anyone. A dental graduate program's priority should be to help you better your skill and become a good dentist, but the LSU GPR program in Baton Rouge does not do that. The program director is the most unprofessional and petty person I have ever seen. She targets residents and find reasons to reprimand them without an educational reason.

Don't waste your time there; find another program or just go to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. Every year they have lots of unfilled post match positions. Perhaps what you said may be the reason why.

All the following is my personal opinion. For clarification, LSU GPR has two locations: one in Baton Rouge and one in New Orleans. Both have different directors, different focuses, and clinic setups. Both location residents only meet during orientation/ CE courses/ lectures held at LSU Dental School in New Orleans and online presentations. This review is specifically LSU GPR Baton Rouge with Dr. Lynda Harhad as Program Director.

Prior to accepting a position at LSU GPR Baton Rouge, I was given precaution not to attend from former residents due to a strong history of residents drop-out each year from the Baton Rouge location due to conflicts with the director. Currently 2/5 remain for the 2017-2018 cycle. My ignorance for ignoring their advice thinking it was exaggeration and, "how bad could it be?"

The director can be described akin to standing inside a room with a rattlesnake at all times; constantly tense in a hostile environment. She has an office, but majority of time prefers to be in the resident's lounge, providing no separation for breather. She is blunt and insensitive with words, quick to anger, and has no qualms about degrading her residents either to their face or while you're in the same room. Even if you're not on the receiving end, it is shameful to watch your co-residents consistently belittled. There is a clear distinction between harsh constructive criticism in comparison to verbal abuse with no feedback. Dr. Harhad is latter.

I once overheard LSU GPR Baton Rouge seeks to be one of the best GPRs in the country. That will never come into fruition under the leadership of Dr. Harhad. Don't make the same mistake I and so many past residents have, go elsewhere. Again, all my personal opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user