gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIGA121781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after acceptance to a program, anyone know what the lowest gpa is w/o jeopardizing your admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BIGA121781
after acceptance to a program, anyone know what the lowest gpa is w/o jeopardizing your admission?

I think it all depends on the school. I'm guessing that they would want you to at least pass all of your classes, but some might want to see that you didnt slack off.

Yes, all you have to do is pass the class. Which is why some students hold off taking a certain class, that they know may cause them some trouble, until the Spring before pharmacy school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AmandaRxs
Yes, all you have to do is pass the class. Which is why some students hold off taking a certain class, that they know may cause them some trouble, until the Spring before pharmacy school. ;)

:D so what are the awful classes that could be left for last? Would you say Ochem 2 and maybe Physics 2? I don't know how I'd take both classes at the same time while working F/T. But if I get accepted early (I'm going to do early admissions) and then horror of horrors got a B and C or 2 C's- would that really bite me in the end eventually?
I keep hearing how Physics doesn't really help you in Pharm school...so, I just don't know. :confused:

I thought O-chem II was the hardest class. I found Physics II to be much easier than Physics I. We do use some physics theory in pharm school. You need to understand flow, pressure and resistors all for the cardiovascular system. Pulmonary uses just flow and pressure. Nervous system uses resistors in series.

O-Chem II was definitely the hardest of my prereqs... That and Physics. I never thought about holding those off until the last semester, but I can see where that might be a good idea. Though, if you take them and ace them before you see the admissions committee, that would be a definitely plus for you when they are making decisions.

For illustration:

My school only accepts students conditionally. The condition is that they will pull your acceptance if you less than a C in any class during this spring semester.

Thanks for the info everyone. 1 more question- what do you think of Gen Chem 2 and Microbiology taken together in the same semester? Or Gen Chem 1 and Microbiology taken together?

I am trying to decide which science class to take over the summer. I have been leaning towards Organic 2. Do you guys think that Organic 2 would be too hard over summer B? Should I try for summer C instead? Or just wait for Fall? My other options would be Physics 2 or Analytical Chem. The only other class I will be taking with whatever science class I choose is a psych class.

I had Organic 1 and Physics 1 at community college but I will be at UF for the summer. The only other science course I have had at UF was Bio 2.

I'm thinking about taking Organic 2 and Microbiology my last semester too. Is it a good idea to take both of them together?

My conditional acceptance is a little scizophrenic. One paragraph says I need to complete my final 4 courses with a B average. I actually only have Organic 2 left because they didn't receive the other 3 grades before they sent the letter. I'm carrying a 4.0 right now so this means I could theoretically get an F and still maintain a B, but I'll accept that I need a C to pass. However, the next paragraph says that I must maintain my current academic standard. Ok, that means I must get an A to maintain the 4.0. Anything less means that I haven't maintained my current standard. Now that's pressure.

Originally posted by kim31kim
O-Chem II was definitely the hardest of my prereqs... That and Physics. I never thought about holding those off until the last semester, but I can see where that might be a good idea. Though, if you take them and ace them before you see the admissions committee, that would be a definitely plus for you when they are making decisions.
You're right. I held off taking Calc II until the Spring before because I received a C+ in Calc I (so I was scared about what kind of grade I might pull in II). In the end I got an A in Calc II, so it worked against me in a way!
Oh yeah and "lame" classes like communications can be held off until your last semester because it sucks to get a "bad" grade in a class considered easy.

Originally posted by MALA
Thanks for the info everyone. 1 more question- what do you think of Gen Chem 2 and Microbiology taken together in the same semester? Or Gen Chem 1 and Microbiology taken together?

Micro usually has a chem pre-req. We needed to have orgo 1 either concurrantly or completed and bio 1 and 2 completed to enroll in micro. It might be different for you, but having pre-reqs like that can make scheduling for convenience tough.