GPA questions / Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted936320

OptomCAS calculated:

cGPA = 3.14
sGPA = 2.74

It sucks because my actual GPA through my university is:

cGPA = 3.3
sGPA = 3.1

Anyways. Do I have a ****ing chance? I want to go to NOVA. I'm taking the OAT on the 15th. I have 4 LORs, lots of EC/volunteering (1900+ hours as a tech/scribe), etc.

Help please. :(

Edit: I know some schools like SCCO look at OAT the most (I called and asked) and want a 330 or above.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say as long as you can get an OAT score of at least 300 AA and 300 TS, you should be fine! Every school is different, SCCO specifies what their minimum criteria is for you to be an "Academically" competitive applicant. Other schools look at your application holistically and factors everything together. Ultimately, you won't know until you actually apply don't get stressed out from the fears of doubt because it holds back a lot of people from applying when you truly do not know how competitive you are in the eyes of other people.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say as long as you can get an OAT score of at least 300 AA and 300 TS, you should be fine! Every school is different, SCCO specifies what their minimum criteria is for you to be an "Academically" competitive applicant. Other schools look at your application holistically and factors everything together. Ultimately, you won't know until you actually apply don't get stressed out from the fears of doubt because it holds back a lot of people from applying when you truly do not know how competitive you are in the eyes of other people.

I know I need to do well on my OAT to make up for my GPA. I'm hoping I get a 300+ on it... but I don't know :/

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you see what OptomCas has calculated? Do you have to send in applications first?

Also, I do believe you've got a good shot as long as your OAT is ~300. Your experience and passion for the field would ultimately be the deciding factor for many programs.

Reactions: 1 user
OptomCAS calculated:

cGPA = 3.14
sGPA = 2.74

cGPA = 3.3
sGPA = 3.1

Anyways. Do I have a ****ing chance? I want to go to NOVA. I'm taking the OAT on the 15th. I have 4 LORs, lots of EC/volunteering (1900+ hours as a tech/scribe), etc.

Edit: I know some schools like SCCO look at OAT the most (I called and asked) and want a 330 or above.
Just wondering, did you retake classes at another college? Maybe that’s why the gpa lowered a bit because OptomCAS averages those attempts out of its not at the same school

Hey! I think you have a good shot too as long as your OAT is high + work experience + good rec letters. It’s about the whole application not just one specific part that admissions will focus on. Also during December, submit your transcript again which includes the fall grades. This will bring up your GPA’s if you did well in the courses you’re currently taking. Did you repeat any courses(at your university or somewhere else) during undergrad?
OptomCAS calculated:

cGPA = 3.14
sGPA = 2.74

cGPA = 3.3
sGPA = 3.1

good shot too

Last edited:
Hey! I think you have a good shot too as long as your OAT is high + work experience + good rec letters. It’s about the whole application not just one specific part that admissions will focus on. Also during December, submit your transcript again which includes the fall grades. This will bring up your GPA’s if you did well in the courses you’re currently taking. Did you repeat any courses(at your university or somewhere else) during undergrad?

good shot too

I did not repeat any classes

I'm pretty scared as well. My overall gpa is 2.91 and my science gpa is 2.66... I've already received rejection from Midwestern and I'm a little apprehensive to apply to UC Berkeley. I take my OAT next Saturday and I really want to get into optometry school. My mom is an optometrist so I'm pretty scared to know if I'll get in. It's all I can think about.

I'm pretty scared as well. My overall gpa is 2.91 and my science gpa is 2.66... I've already received rejection from Midwestern and I'm a little apprehensive to apply to UC Berkeley. I take my OAT next Saturday and I really want to get into optometry school. My mom is an optometrist so I'm pretty scared to know if I'll get in. It's all I can think about.
When you say "rejection" from Midwestern, did they interview you and tell you that, or did you just not receive an interview offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
did you already have one attempt at the OAT or did you send in your app without the OAT?

I did not repeat any classes
You should try contacting OptomCAS about why the overall GPA is lower than your actual transcript GPA. It does happen that they make errors on their end too. Unless you have a lot of plus grades on your transcript, it doesn’t really make sense why it’s lower, because you didn’t repeat and classes(in most scenarios, this is why it’s lower. Every class you’ve taken at that university should be in that overall GPA. For the science GPA, it’s common for this to be lower than you expect because there’s courses that aren’t in this GPA, like psychology. Good luck and let us know how it goes:)

What was a 90 considered at your school? An A or A-?

Don't worry you will get into a school as long as you do well on your OAT. I actually had lower gpa stats than you and I got into a few schools. Midwestern straight up rejected me because of my low science gpa. If this is what you want to do, then you will just have to do well on your OAT and branch out to other schools you would consider applying to.

Hey,

I am in the same boat as you in terms of gpa. Did you write your OAT?

Don't worry you will get into a school as long as you do well on your OAT. I actually had lower gpa stats than you and I got into a few schools. Midwestern straight up rejected me because of my low science gpa. If this is what you want to do, then you will just have to do well on your OAT and branch out to other schools you would consider applying to.

I have a low Gpa and some repeat classes. Do you mind sharing your oat scores and study time? Thanks!

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, which schools did you get into? Congratulations!! :)

What was ur science GPA?

Hey! i know this thread was made months ago but ive just been stressing about my GPA. i have a great trend but my first two years were not good at all. Im aiming for a 350 on the OAT. Would you be able to PM about your stats?

Hey, did you end up getting accepted to any schools?