GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel Degutis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently a junior Engineering Major at the University of Maryland, but am interested in applying to PT schools after I graduate. I don't have any prereqs filled yet and plan on taking them over the next two summers. My question(s).

1. What GPA do the schools look at?​
    • I plan on not having more than a 3.3 from engineering and other undergrad classes not including any prereqs. No lower than a 3.2 though.
    • I plan on getting 3.8 or higher for pre req courses (taken at a community college for cost)
Will my GPA be looked at as my undergrad GPA at UMD or will it combine all credits and grades, making it higher. I guess what I'm asking is will my lower GPA that really has nothing to do with PT outweigh my courses taken outside of my undergrad path and ultimately affect my chances of getting in?​

2. Does it matter where I take my pre reqs?

I know a lot of schools on the PTCAS site say it doesn't matter if you take the pre reqs at a community college, but does it not matter at all or is that just the bare minimum? Does getting an A in all your community college pre reqs look worse than getting an A in pre reqs, say, taken at the University of Maryland? I'm only avoiding the UMD courses because its 3 times the cost and at 30 credits that's a lot at $10,000 compared to $3,000.​

Should I try and take at least a few at the university of Maryland before I graduate and have it boost my undergrad GPA?

Thanks for any help,
Danny

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, PT schools don't care where you got your coursework completed, only that it is complete and the GPA in the end satisfies the bare minimum. I would check with some programs you might be interested in just to be sure because you never know, but all of the 12 schools I applied to didn't care where the coursework was completed.

Each school looks at it differently, but if you have a 3.2-3.3 in non pre req stuff and a 3.8 or higher for pre reqs you are HIGHLY competitive and should not have an issue as far as getting accepted / getting interview opportunities.

Check out PTCAS to see which schools you are interested in want the pre reqs taken at a 4 year university. If they do not require it, take them all the community college.