GPA is low? Feeling hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes they do.

Yes :), if someone was really determined to get into Medical School they would do whatever it takes or try to at least.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I agree with you. I have never been a risk-taker but going to the caribbean is more risky than taking post bacc-classes and getting a residency is like 50-50 coin toss. Thanks for the insight.

Well good luck to you. My advice is just advice. Do what you need to do but keep an open-mind.

1-2 years assuming you get straight A's. If you get a few B's here and there which is more than likely, that ain't happening.

Time is money.

Also not true...DrMidLife and other posters have admitted to doing sub 3.0 work in their first attempts at post-baccalaureate work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also not true...DrMidLife and other posters have admitted to doing sub 3.0 work in their first attempts at post-baccalaureate work.

Oh I hadn't seen that. Good to know, thank you!

I think I have provided many examples of students succeeding which are being casually dismissed. Perhaps you guys can provide examples of students who have gone from a 2.3, made it into a US program, and actually succeeded.

Please refer to my examples of the student who went to SGU and became an interventional radiologist.

I think I have provided many examples of students succeeding which are being casually dismissed. Perhaps you guys can provide examples of students who have gone from a 2.3, made it into a US program, and actually succeeded.

Please refer to my examples of the student who went to SGU and became an interventional radiologist.

Anecdotes are not as convincing as the population-wide stats that Gonnif has reported/referenced for Caribbean students in many posts.

Also difficult to compare Caribbean/US medical schools in the way that you ask because in US med schools the factor keeping people out of residencies takes place at the first hurdle- admission to med school. After that, the vast majority match into residencies. In Caribbean med schools, the factor keeping people out of residency comes after acceptance to med school. We have statistics (which show poor results) for that because students are already in the med school system.

It doesn't seem like one could accurately determine the rates at which students attempt coming back from 2.3s for US med schools: many probably fail and never apply (undetectable), many apply but we can't recognize that they are a student like that from the data that AMCAS/AACOMAS publish (undetectable). But what makes it such a better option is that if you are admitted, your uncertainty in your future plummets. You are more assured to be financially stable and to obtain a reasonably respectable residency. Anecdotes of people doing this (DrMidLife) have some value (as opposed to anecdotes of success in the Caribbean) because it is a path that does not have massive potential cost, i.e., you have much less to lose in trying what DrMidLife has done instead of easily gaining acceptance to a Caribbean school and attempting that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anecdotes are not as convincing as the population-wide stats that Gonnif has reported/referenced for Caribbean students in many posts.

Also difficult to compare Caribbean/US medical schools in the way that you ask because in US med schools the factor keeping people out of residencies takes place at the first hurdle- admission to med school. After that, the vast majority match into residencies. In Caribbean med schools, the factor keeping people out of residency comes after acceptance to med school. We have statistics (which show poor results) for that because students are already in the med school system.

It doesn't seem like one could accurately determine the rates at which students attempt coming back from 2.3s for US med schools: many probably fail and never apply (undetectable), many apply but we can't recognize that they are a student like that from the data that AMCAS/AACOMAS publish (undetectable). But what makes it such a better option is that if you are admitted, your uncertainty in your future plummets. You are more assured to be financially stable and to obtain a reasonably respectable residency. Anecdotes of people doing this (DrMidLife) have some value (as opposed to anecdotes of success in the Caribbean) because it is a path that does not have massive potential cost, i.e., you have much less to lose in trying what DrMidLife has done instead of easily gaining acceptance to a Caribbean school and attempting that route.

I don't believe I provided anecdotes but if that's how you see them then I can't help you with that.

I think you are missing my point. You are looking at this issue way too broadly. I did attend a Caribbean medical school for almost two years. I know more than you or anyone else who never attended these schools how they really work and I know a lot of statistics that are unpublished. Nobody is telling anybody to go the Caribbean route blindly. If you carefully read a few of my last posts, I have been rather humble in explaining why I was not a good candidate for the school I attended and why leaving was the smart option.

Having said that, there are students like me right now who know these risks and are willing to take them because we stand a better chance than an uninformed student. The only schools students should be applying to are SGU and Ross. I also made that very clear. If you have decent stats and a decent MCAT score, you can be one of the students that succeed taking the Caribbean route. The students that fail are those who go in unprepared and those who don't work as hard as those that want to succeed.

If you are OK with primary care, then SGU and Ross can get you there. And that may be an opportunity that a US medical school will not afford some.

Unless you have first-hand experience with every single US school in this country and how they evaluate applicants, you can't come on here and just tell someone to bump up their GPA and apply. I have experience with a few US programs and I am telling you that unless you have won an Olympic medal, you can't compensate for a lower GPA. Just being real.

2.2 ->3.4 and here I am.

You have really changed your tune from March when you were complaining about Caribbean schools, based on your post history. Decided to go for it again and looking for validation? Let us know in 2023 how it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
2.2 ->3.4 and here I am.

You have really changed your tune from March when you were complaining about Caribbean schools, based on your post history. Decided to go for it again and looking for validation? Let us know in 2023 how it works out for you.

Yeah, is there a problem with that? It's called having an open-mind. You should try it.

2.2 ->3.4 and here I am.

Do you happen to have an Olympic medal?

My friend, the individual above me is giving you the EXACT same advice I am giving you.

Take this helpful advice...

1. Grades don't magically change the second time around unless you make HUGE changes in your life and your study habits and you have not talked about that.
2. The individual above me told you to focus on "GPA resurrection" but conveniently did not advise you to apply to a US program in the future.
3. And that is because you won't get into a US program! So if you want to become a doc and you have thought long and hard about it...
4. Research Caribbean schools and pick one of the better ones.
IF you don't want to go to the Caribbean then spend the rest of your life in school trying to raise that 2.3.

I was in the same position as you at one point and then I figured out that success is about approach. I had to change my approach and so do you.

These are anecdotes. They represent outcomes that are within the realm of possibility, but they are not likely. The residency placements/rates for US vs Caribbean schools demonstrate outcomes that are probable- not just within the realm of possibility.

I am trying to look at the situation as broadly as possible- that's where the most convincing data is. If I, like you, hone in on individual stories or your personal experience to make a decision then Caribbean med school seems reasonable. If I look broadly at match rates across all the big 3 Caribbean schools, it tells a story that is much more bleak. I trust n= 1000s more than n=5.

I recognize that Ross or SGU can get one into primary care with a lot of work and some luck- but certainly not with frequency enough to ever recommend it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These are anecdotes. They represent outcomes that are within the realm of possibility, but they are not likely. The residency placements/rates for US vs Caribbean schools demonstrate outcomes that are probable- not just within the realm of possibility.

I am trying to look at the situation as broadly as possible- that's where the most convincing data is. If I, like you, hone in on individual stories or your personal experience to make a decision then Caribbean med school seems reasonable. If I look broadly at match rates across all the big 3 Caribbean schools, it tells a story that is much more bleak. I trust n= 1000s more than n=5.

86% of SGU students who enter the match, match. That number is in the 90% range the second year. That is an unpublished stat but you can verify that with some SGU people here.

It is possible to succeed at SGU.

I don't believe I provided anecdotes but if that's how you see them then I can't help you with that.

Unless you have first-hand experience with every single US school in this country and how they evaluate applicants, you can't come on here and just tell someone to bump up their GPA and apply. I have experience with a few US programs and I am telling you that unless you have won an Olympic medal, you can't compensate for a lower GPA. Just being real.

No, that's why I'm going Caribbean.

I was asking the accepted/current medical student that compensated for a lower GPA if he had a gold medal because that was your requirement- was not addressed at you. Apologies for the confusion.

86% of SGU students who enter the match, match. That number is in the 90% range the second year. That is an unpublished stat but you can verify that with some SGU people here.

It is possible to succeed at SGU.

What proportion of the students that matriculate into SGU enter the match?

Reactions: 3 users
less than 50%
So if you go to Caribbean med school, you have <<50% chance of becoming a practicing physician. As you say, it is possible to succeed. But if you make evidence-based decisions (as prospective physicians should) entering into a Caribbean med school thinking you will be in the minority after already not having been successful enough to gain admission to a US med school (in the minority), that is reckless.

Reactions: 1 users
So because the thread seems to be repeating previous discussions on the matter, I'm leaving the following here.

gonnif's Analysis of the Caribbean Route (read this carefully and in detail to know why going to the Caribbean is a very bad idea)

WedgeDawg's Argument Against Going to Medical School in the Caribbean (also see the Caribbean Cycle Theory)

The only people that should be offering you their "analysis" are those that have been there; NOT those who are evaluating this from the outside and are biased at that. When I made my initial post not to go Caribbean, there was a lot of frustration on my end. Since then, I have seen who is succeeding and who is not succeeding and there is a pattern. After seeing that, I concluded that SGU is the best school to go to if you are the right student.

There is a lot to be learned after attending a Caribbean medical school and seeing just how they operate. You guys are relying on a lot of hearsay.
Stats can be interpreted in many ways. They can be made to look good and made to look bad. I go by results. Every friend I know that worked hard has made it off their respective island and are now practicing physicians. That may not be good enough to sway you but it is good enough for me.

So if you go to Caribbean med school, you have <<50% chance of becoming a practicing physician. As you say, it is possible to succeed. But if you make evidence-based decisions (as prospective physicians should) entering into a Caribbean med school thinking you will be in the minority after already not having been successful enough to gain admission to a US med school (in the minority), that is reckless.

You are interpreting that all wrong.

As a prospective student, you have to...

1. Understand that these schools actively weed out students during the first two years of basic science (I clearly discuss this and so do others.)
2. Medical school is medical school. It isn't any easier in the Caribbean. If you do not have good stats, you will not survive or the chances that you will will be greatly diminished (this was my situation.)
3. Caribbean medical schools will accept virtually anybody as long as you "meet" the minimum standards of admission. SGU is a little different. I was told by someone in admissions that SGU has six applicants for every spot.
4. Be willing to make a huge transition from where you are currently to being a medical student.

If there is a student who does not understand what I have mentioned above, then they will be one of the students that does not make it out. If you understand all of these things and then apply, you will have a much greater chance of being the student that does succeed. It's a crapshoot for the average student, not for the best student.

The only people that should be offering you their "analysis" are those that have been there; NOT those who are evaluating this from the outside and are biased at that. When I made my initial post not to go Caribbean, there was a lot of frustration on my end. Since then, I have seen who is succeeding and who is not succeeding and there is a pattern. After seeing that, I concluded that SGU is the best school to go to if you are the right student.

There is a lot to be learned after attending a Caribbean medical school and seeing just how they operate. You guys are relying on a lot of hearsay.
Stats can be interpreted in many ways. They can be made to look good and made to look bad. I go by results. Every friend I know that worked hard has made it off their respective island and are now practicing physicians. That may not be good enough to sway you but it is good enough for me.

With this logic- should research not exist? Everyone just ignores data and listens to people who have experienced something firsthand?

You are interpreting that all wrong.

As a prospective student, you have to...

2. Medical school is medical school. It isn't any easier in the Caribbean. If you do not have good stats, you will not survive or the chances that you will will be greatly diminished (this was my situation.)

If you do not have good stats (yet), do not attend medical school- you have not demonstrated to yourself or any adcoms that you can handle it. If you have good stats, do not take the massive risk of Caribbean med school (<50% get through, 86% match) and make every effort to apply to US med schools where, if admitted, you will most likely succeed.

I have seen who is succeeding and who is not succeeding and there is a pattern.

Have you looked into the pattern in your delusion? You said you are retaking the pre-requisites after dropping out of a Caribbean school. So you are doing a post-bac to gain admission into another Caribbean school? You just said going to school for multiple years makes no sense but for some reason you are doing it. So much contradiction...

If you do not have good stats (yet), do not attend medical school- you have not demonstrated to yourself or any adcoms that you can handle it. If you have good stats, do not take the massive risk of Caribbean med school (<50% get through, 86% match) and make every effort to apply to US med schools where, if admitted, you will most likely succeed.

I honestly believe that if you have a 3.5 GPA and a decent MCAT score, you can survive medical school no matter where you go. US programs push for higher stats only because of competition. If you are in that range or right under it and you are not getting into a US program, you can go to the Caribbean, bearing all I have mentioned, and you can succeed.

There will be those people, and those are the people who I am referring to, that just will not make it into a US program.

Have you looked into the pattern in your delusion? You said you are retaking the pre-requisites after dropping out of a Caribbean school. So you are doing a post-bac to gain admission into another Caribbean school? You just said going to school for multiple years makes no sense but for some reason you are doing it. So much contradiction...

My situation is different, if you're not familiar with it, don't go there.

if you have a 3.5 GPA and a decent MCAT score, you can survive medical school no matter where you go. US programs push for higher stats only because of competition. If you are in that range or right under it and you are not getting into a US program, you can go to the Caribbean, bearing all I have mentioned, and you can succeed.

There will be those people, and those are the people who I am referring to, that just will not make it into a US program.

Some truth to that. There are probably a small bunch of people with 3.5 GPAs and decent MCATs who also do not care the slightest about reputation, where they live, feasibility to pay off private loans, quality of education, or what specialty they practice, and are willing to risk a higher chance of an unlucky match or test score to practice medicine somewhere. Given your last message, I take it you agree that multiple US med school cycles should be attempted first, given that a 3.5 and decent MCAT are competitive for DO. Is that true?

Some truth to that. There are probably a small bunch of people with 3.5 GPAs and decent MCATs who also do not care the slightest about reputation, where they live, feasibility to pay off private loans, quality of education, or what specialty they practice, and are willing to risk a higher chance of an unlucky match or test score to practice medicine somewhere. Given your last message, I take it you agree that multiple US med school cycles should be attempted first, given that a 3.5 and decent MCAT are competitive for DO. Is that true?
If one has a 3.5 GPA and a decent MCAT, there are plenty of US MD (and ALL DO) schools that one is competitive for.

Reactions: 4 users

A couple things here.

1. Reputation? I don't think most people care where you get your MD from.
2. The Caribbean is not the stone ages. You can survive there for two years.
3. The best schools all have Title IV funding
4. Quality of education? Honestly the issue is more of self-learning. I questioned quality of education even at my undergrad.
5. Primary care is the goal. Anything beyond that is impressive.
6. If you get into SGU and you do everything they ask, you should be able to match no problems.

Yeah, I'm not saying don't apply to a US medical school at all. But I can tell you that there are students that will not get in even after two or three cycles. It could be grades, it could be the interview, it could be something else. Those are the students that should look at the Caribbean. Those students and students who know how it works down there.

My situation is different, if you're not familiar with it, don't go there.

A real question...no snark intended: Have you spoken with the SGU staff about your situation since that is your target school? If you do whatever remediation work you have planned (prerequisites, MCAT, etc.), will they admit you?

A real question...no snark intended: Have you spoken with the SGU staff about your situation since that is your target school? If you do whatever remediation work you have planned (prerequisites, MCAT, etc.), will they admit you?

I did and they will.

Well good luck to you. My advice is just advice. Do what you need to do but keep an open-mind.
Thank you. I will do what I need to do and this is exactly what I need to be doing.
Done what???

Getting in Carribean, drop out? I'm sorry NO. I have common sense. I won't handicap myself or even kill myself financially just to have a "flip of a coin"

For getting accepted to US medical school from a low GPA?? Yes I did after years of hard work. I would gladly to either go DO or MDs.

I'm done posting with this troll. Luckily, the OP seem to listen to good advice on here.

Thank you for your insight. I am planning to start taking classes to boost my gpa. However I had a question. I have a Biology degree and have taken plenty of upper division biology classes. Obviouly after I retake some of my prereqs, it necessary to take only science classes for my post-bacc or should I mix in some english, or upper division foreign languages or something just to make sure im not taking all science classes which will be too heavy. That is actually one mistake I did during college was taking like 4 or 5 bio classes at once and most of the time my course load was at least 17 credits if not more... Anyways would it be bad to take some foreign languages. I know I should just get A s but I am trying to prove to Medical School admissions that I can handle a med school curriculum so I think its necessary to take some additional bio classes just to prove that but I do not want to take all Bio classes in my schedule. I may mix in some classes that I have always wanted to take but never got the chance to like Upper division french and arabic classes (im fluent in both languages) . Is that a good plan?

If I was you, I would take 1 or 2 classes at the beginning. Why?? I need to learn how to get A first. The first A will boost your confi dence. Don't repeat the same mistake you did before. Then after I know HOW to get A, proceed the next step. Add more classes, do EC....

I know it's hard to do one step at a time but you really need to have the patience. Read more posts from Goro, dr.midlife, success stories from low GPA . You will see a pattern.

If I was you, I would take 1 or 2 classes at the beginning. Why?? I need to learn how to get A first. The first A will boost your confi dence. Don't repeat the same mistake you did before. Then after I know HOW to get A, proceed the next step. Add more classes, do EC....

I know it's hard to do one step at a time but you really need to have the patience. Read more posts from Goro, dr.midlife, success stories from low GPA . You will see a pattern.
Yes you are right. I will try taking 1 Biology class this summer and see how that goes.

im kinda in a same situation as op is. but i have 2 more years of undergrad and my gpa right now is 2.23 with 89 credits at a community college. I will transfer to a 4 year college this fall. what should i major in? Im thinking about bioengineering, civil, B.S in radiology or biology. pls help me decide. i'm interested in all of these. my plan is to bring up my gpa by the time i graduate to a 3.0 ish and try for a postbacc or smp. if i dont get into one of those programs i can just use my bachelors degree to pay down debt and take some classes while working. any suggestion is appreciated.

im kinda in a same situation as op is. but i have 2 more years of undergrad and my gpa right now is 2.23 with 89 credits at a community college. I will transfer to a 4 year college this fall. what should i major in? Im thinking about bioengineering, civil, B.S in radiology or biology. pls help me decide. i'm interested in all of these. my plan is to bring up my gpa by the time i graduate to a 3.0 ish and try for a postbacc or smp. if i dont get into one of those programs i can just use my bachelors degree to pay down debt and take some classes while working. any suggestion is appreciated.

So how would the Bachelors degree help you pay off your debt? Do you mean that if you get your Bachelors degree you can get a job to pay off your debt? I currently have a Bachelor degree in Biology, I have 11 months of limited lab experience and I still having a hard time finding a job in just Biology. Then, I was considering doing a second Bachelors in Radiology or an internship program or something, but I heard a lot of people who graduated with radiology are not having any more luck finding jobs either... Because there are limited opportunities. If their are opportunities there is only PRN positions or if it is full time then most hospitals hire their students first. Also do not believe any website that tell you that radiology will have growth in jobs, That is actually a lie, They are just doing that to make money. So I would recommend your third choice with Bioengineering, you will definetely have better luck with jobs in this area. At the same time you can try to repair your gpa. If you are trying to increase your gpa just make sure you do not make the same mistake I did. When I was in University I would cram at least 17-20 credits for each semester, 3 to 4 hard science classes and I rarely ever took an easy class unless it was a requirement, and my gpa went down hill. I was just such in a rush to graduate that I just wanted to cram as many science courses to get it over with.. So Start out doing only 1 to 2 hard science classes and the rest very easy classes per semester so that you can focus on those classes. That way you can try to focus on trying to repair your gpa. I hope that helps!!! :)

So how would the Bachelors degree help you pay off your debt? Do you mean that if you get your Bachelors degree you can get a job to pay off your debt? I currently have a Bachelor degree in Biology, I have 11 months of limited lab experience and I still having a hard time finding a job in just Biology. Then, I was considering doing a second Bachelors in Radiology or an internship program or something, but I heard a lot of people who graduated with radiology are not having any more luck finding jobs either... Because there are limited opportunities. If their are opportunities there is only PRN positions or if it is full time then most hospitals hire their students first. Also do not believe any website that tell you that radiology will have growth in jobs, That is actually a lie, They are just doing that to make money. So I would recommend your third choice with Bioengineering, you will definetely have better luck with jobs in this area. At the same time you can try to repair your gpa. If you are trying to increase your gpa just make sure you do not make the same mistake I did. When I was in University I would cram at least 17-20 credits for each semester, 3 to 4 hard science classes and I rarely ever took an easy class unless it was a requirement, and my gpa went down hill. I was just such in a rush to graduate that I just wanted to cram as many science courses to get it over with.. So Start out doing only 1 to 2 hard science classes and the rest very easy classes per semester so that you can focus on those classes. That way you can try to focus on trying to repair your gpa. I hope that helps!!! :)

I would be cautious with thinking that all will be well and glorious even after successfully getting through the match as a Caribbean grad btw. Yes you could be a physician in the United States if you tried your best. That being said, if you have strong preferences not to live in insanely undesirable areas of the United States where we throw the majority of the lower quality graduates then you may have issues. If you're okay with being a family physician in Lynchburgsville, Idaho then don't listen to the people on this thread. If you have any preference whatsoever to do a specialty in a coastal diverse city like LA, SF, NYC, I highly advise you to do a different plan. Yes you may know a carib grad in those cities today in 2017. By the time you get out in 2025 or whatever, that is going to change due to sheer competition and saturation of US MD and DO graduates.

thanks for your suggestion. I love bioengineering. if I cant get into a medical school i will build AI doctors and shut down all the medical schools lol. Jokes aside, i heard bioengineering is hard and will bring your G.P.A down. thats why i wanna go for radiology hoping it will be easier than bioeng.

thanks for your suggestion. I love bioengineering. if I cant get into a medical school i will build AI doctors and shut down all the medical schools lol. Jokes aside, i heard bioengineering is hard and will bring your G.P.A down. thats why i wanna go for radiology hoping it will be easier than bioeng.
I feel like it really boils down to how well you structure your courseload. Your goal should not be too take as many classes as you can to finish faster. Your goal should be to get As, and to figure out what you change in your study habits that can help you. I know bioengineering probably has tons of science courses..but you start off slow, with only 1 science course at a time with a lab and a few general education/easier courses..and then add two science courses per semester max. Schedule your courseload so that you can get As even if that means taking only 3 courses a semester. You can do an easier major but you may have to compromise the future job outlook. I feel like if you can structure your courseload well and pace yourself, do not rush to try to graduate early, and definetely do not overload yourself with courses. Hope that helps!

I would be cautious with thinking that all will be well and glorious even after successfully getting through the match as a Caribbean grad btw. Yes you could be a physician in the United States if you tried your best. That being said, if you have strong preferences not to live in insanely undesirable areas of the United States where we throw the majority of the lower quality graduates then you may have issues. If you're okay with being a family physician in Lynchburgsville, Idaho then don't listen to the people on this thread. If you have any preference whatsoever to do a specialty in a coastal diverse city like LA, SF, NYC, I highly advise you to do a different plan. Yes you may know a carib grad in those cities today in 2017. By the time you get out in 2025 or whatever, that is going to change due to sheer competition and saturation of US MD and DO graduates.
I have already decided not to go to a Carribean school because its too risky. I am trying to get into DO School.

Can anyone help me with my DIY Post bacc scheduling? I am wondering is it okay to take like lower level science courses or retake all prereqs even if I got a C? Should I retake only the courses I got lower than a C in and then do upper level Science courses? Can I take easier classes that are not science ? Because there is only so many upper level science courses you can take at a university and so far I have 34 credits worth of courses. I wonder if just retaking a course I have already taken would be impressive to adcoms? I am trying not to retake any courses C or above and just retake prereq courses I got below a D and then take upper level Biology courses?

Whatever you do, never ever ever go to Caribbean. I came back from a 2.6 and got into MD.
@aformerstudent your advice is terrible man. Can you stop giving vulnerable students "carribean" bs? This can affect their life tremendously.
I am wondering is it okay to take like lower level science courses or retake all prereqs even if I got a C? Should I retake only the courses I got lower than a C in and then do upper level Science courses? Can I take easier classes that are not science ? Because there is only so many upper level science courses you can take at a university and so far I have 34 credits worth of courses obviously that I intend to spread out over the course of a few years. I wonder if just retaking a course I have already taken would be impressive to adcoms? I am trying not to retake any courses C or above and just retake prereq courses I got below a D and then take upper level Biology courses?

Can anyone help me with my DIY Post bacc scheduling? I am wondering is it okay to take like lower level science courses or retake all prereqs even if I got a C? Should I retake only the courses I got lower than a C in and then do upper level Science courses? Can I take easier classes that are not science ? Because there is only so many upper level science courses you can take at a university and so far I have 34 credits worth of courses. I wonder if just retaking a course I have already taken would be impressive to adcoms? I am trying not to retake any courses C or above and just retake prereq courses I got below a D and then take upper level Biology courses?

Don't retake classes that you've gotten a B or above in and only retake classes that you are confident that you can do better in the second time around, especially since your GPA is the primary problem (so you should aim for A's only when retaking/if retaking).

Your sGPA consists of Biology Chemistry Physics and Mathematics (BCPM); between the four, I'm sure there's a decent amount of courses to take. But it is beneficial to show that you can do well in upper level Biology courses too.

Don't retake classes that you've gotten a B or above in and only retake classes that you are confident that you can do better in the second time around, especially since your GPA is the primary problem (so you should aim for A's only when retaking/if retaking).

Your sGPA consists of Biology Chemistry Physics and Mathematics (BCPM); between the four, I'm sure there's a decent amount of courses to take. But it is beneficial to show that you can do well in upper level Biology courses too.

Oh okay thank you for the response. I have always taken BIology courses, so I will try taking some Chemistry, or Mathematics courses which are two favorite subjects. I was wondering could I also take like upper level foreign language course? They are 200 and 300 level foreign languages that I am sure I would do great in. I know it wont boost my Science gpa but I never had the chance to take these courses when I was in undergrad because I was too busy overloading my courseload with Biology courses and doing badly in them obviously.

I was wondering could I also take like upper level foreign language course? They are 200 and 300 level foreign languages that I am sure I would do great in. I know it wont boost my Science gpa but I never had the chance to take these courses when I was in undergrad because I was too busy overloading my courseload with Biology courses and doing badly in them obviously.

Feel free to take these courses if you want to - however, just note that your main focus should be improving your application so that you can increase the chances you have of getting into medical school. That being said, if you think that these courses won't take too much of your time, such that you can still maintain good grades in the rest of your classes, be my guest!

Oh okay thank you for the response. I have always taken BIology courses, so I will try taking some Chemistry, or Mathematics courses which are two favorite subjects. I was wondering could I also take like upper level foreign language course? They are 200 and 300 level foreign languages that I am sure I would do great in. I know it wont boost my Science gpa but I never had the chance to take these courses when I was in undergrad because I was too busy overloading my courseload with Biology courses and doing badly in them obviously.
what are your thoughts on b.s in health information management? they work in hospitals and work closely with doctors. good pay too

what are your thoughts on b.s in health information management? they work in hospitals and work closely with doctors. good pay too
This position seems to be more admninistrative or clerical work combining business, with science and information technology. It does not really interest me that much and I am not sure how much patient care you would really get with this position.

Hey Everyone, Just wanted to update you all on my current plans.
So I was lucky enough to be accepted as a Scribe, I just completed and passed the training courses that was required. I am really excited to start scribing part time. I am also applying to a second degree 1 year post bacc program for Technologist program, which has a science based curriculum, and will allow me to take get a certification and hopefully get a full-time job. I also plan on retaking prereq courses on the side at a local community college. I am only retaking the ones I got below a C in and maybe the C grades as well. So I hope to apply to DO Schools in 2019 once I would have about two years worth of scribe experience. and I would have had 1-2 years of post bacc. I hope this plan will work.

Hey Everyone, Just wanted to update you all on my current plans.
So I was lucky enough to be accepted as a Scribe, I just completed and passed the training courses that was required. I am really excited to start scribing part time. I am also applying to a second degree 1 year post bacc program for Technologist program, which has a science based curriculum, and will allow me to take get a certification and hopefully get a full-time job. I also plan on retaking prereq courses on the side at a local community college. I am only retaking the ones I got below a C in and maybe the C grades as well. So I hope to apply to DO Schools in 2019 once I would have about two years worth of scribe experience. and I would have had 1-2 years of post bacc. I hope this plan will work.
Sounds like a plan! Remember, marathon, not sprint.

Hey Everyone,

I have another recent update and question. So I found out I was accepted to this molecular genetics technology program. Its a bachelors program that will take about two years to complete and leads to certification in Molecular Biology with ASCP. I was planning to do this program while scribing part time but now I am having second thoughts about doing this program. Though it is an excellent program at a world renowned cancer center MD Anderson, It is also intense. I noticed that the curriculum consists of 75 hours total and each semester consists of at least 6-7 courses and all of them are either 3000 or 4000 level courses. I have heard that this program is intense and grueling but you do learn a lot. I am nervous because of the workload and I am not sure I will be able to handle it. Also, I am not sure if it makes any logical sense to do a second bachelors. I just dont want to throw myself into this program if im not ready for this. Its not very flexible as everyone takes at least 7 courses. I was going to use this as my DIY post bacc, but now im considering just doing a DIY Post bacc so I will have the flexibility to control how many science classes and make sure im not taking 7 in the beginning..that sounds a little intense to me. People have gotten kicked out of this program for not getting high enough grades. I also heard that Medical school is easier than this program...medical school admissions committee have spoken to the director and students and told them that. Though a lot of the students coming out of the program do get into Medical school. I feel like it is a risk, just like doing the SMP.

The thing about this program is they do teach you everything you need to know about genetics and they make sure that once you get out of the program, that is little to no training that has to be done. That is one thing I really like about it because I have been trained at a company before, I did not like the way they trained me and how most companies just get another employee to train me and do their own job...It puts too much pressure on me... Anyone know anyone who did this program or have any suggestions or insight?

Last edited: