GPA is holding me back. What do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go Abroad/Stay n' Boost

• Go Abroad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boost dem grades

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Knobinator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a small public university. I am currently pursuing a BS in Physics and a BA in Spanish (through a unique dual degree program offered at my institution). Since my first semester of school, my grades have taken a mostly downward turn (a trend I realize to be profoundly unattractive to adcoms).

I am wondering whether or not I should abandon my second major (which allows me to spend one year abroad, taking a semester of graduate courses in Spanish and completing a 16 week internship thereafter), and instead take extra courses to boost my GPA.

My current cGPA is a 3.30 and my sGPA is a 3.17. My gpa trend by semester is as follows (3.73, 3.53, 2.86, 3.33, 3.44, 3.0). Do I drop the language program and try to boost gpa? Or will the program compensate for my low gpa?

• I have 3 (going on 4) semesters of research experience, with a publication on the horizon.
  • I have been a TA in the Physics department for 2 semesters, and a TA in the Spanish department for 1.
  • I have ~100 volunteer hours in the ICU at my local hospital.
  • I have been president of a brain tumor research club for 3 semesters (a club which I started).
  • I took a practice MCAT (old version) and scored a 30

My Physics/Math courses are really killing me. I enjoy them thoroughly, but little of it comes naturally to me.

My pre-med advisor thinks I should stick with the program in hopes of gaining some kind of "novelty" factor, but I do not want to further jeopardize my chances of attending med school.

Help me please, Med School has long been my dream, and I would hate to lose that to Cs in upper-level math courses.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is most important. If you don't like the program and/or are not doing well in it, drop the program and repair your GPA. "novelty" isn't going to cut it

Reactions: 1 user
You are a senior I assume counting the gpa numbers you provided. Both your gpas are on the low end for MD schools. It is just touching the realms of DO schools especially if you do manage to get that predicted 30. It would have been nice to have come to your realization about your physics and math courses earlier in your college career but it can't be helped now. I agree with dropping the novelty to up your gpa (can you really do much for your gpa as a senior?) I'm sure you would already qualify for a minor in whichever of the two you drop anyways so you still manage to keep a portion of your "novelty"

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, the GPAs + the declining grade trend are lethal for MD schools and don't bode well for Do either.

The fastest path for OP to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/B science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

You are a senior I assume counting the gpa numbers you provided. Both your gpas are on the low end for MD schools. It is just touching the realms of DO schools especially if you do manage to get that predicted 30. It would have been nice to have come to your realization about your physics and math courses earlier in your college career but it can't be helped now. I agree with dropping the novelty to up your gpa (can you really do much for your gpa as a senior?) I'm sure you would already qualify for a minor in whichever of the two you drop anyways so you still manage to keep a portion of your "novelty"

The fastest path for OP to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/B science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.).

Noticed you wrote this on another thread but for newcomers here, it's F/D/C coursework that's to be retaken. Don't retake your Bs folks :p