Gpa disaster at Ucla

drhopzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a 2nd year at UCLA, and it seems that my GPA is been on a standstill at 2.9. I'm not sure what my Gpa can allow me to do. Coming in, i was prepharmacy, and hope to keep it that way, but i just wanted to know if there were any others who found different paths due to low GPAs.

Thanks in advance.

Hey! This is actually a high school thread, and so you may want to ask a mod to move your thread to the college forum so you'll get more answers.

As for your GPA, step back and critically analyze what's been going wrong. Many students at UCLA get distracted early on, or just aren't used to the college environment. Get help- ask your counselor or RA, go to Academics in the Commons/AAP/Athletics, and perhaps consider taking a smaller load in the fall. You may also want to try taking just one course during Session A/C; one course is a lot easier to handle and perhaps it'll give you the time to get back your confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 2nd year at UCLA, and it seems that my GPA is been on a standstill at 2.9. I'm not sure what my Gpa can allow me to do. Coming in, i was prepharmacy, and hope to keep it that way, but i just wanted to know if there were any others who found different paths due to low GPAs.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you only stand a chance if you get it over a 3.0. And, even then it is iffy. So, I would suggest for you to reevaluate your study skills and really commit to making the best grades you can possibly make for the rest of your undergraduate years. Then, if you still don't think your competitive, you should consider doing a post-bac. This may take a few years or maybe just a year, depends on how average/uncompetitive your GPA is at the moment. If you stay persistent, you can make it happen. I think you should look at the worst side of things as well as the best outcomes. This will allow you to make a better decision for what you want to do in the future.

If you don't get in first cycle, it's not the end of the world. You can use that time to relax/work/research/(do something interesting or meaning for the community).

Thanks in advance.

If you seriously want to get into Pharm school, then a 2.9 might not be the end of the world, I'm not in Pharm school, but I'm sure there are other things to be considered besides GPA, such as PCAT. Esp if you apply to 'lower ranking' programs that may be easier to get into. But you have to go all out to get into Pharm school, you won't get in just b/c you write a darn good Personal Statement. Take a step back and ask yourself if you could improve your study routine in any way.

I had a similar gpa as you after second year. It is possible to recover, especially since you still don't have many credit hours. Just find what works for you and start studying harder. It'll mean giving up some fun, but I think your future profession is worth the loss of a few nights of partying.

First, I think its important to mention that it is only your sophmore year. You have two years to make up for that gpa. If you try hard starting now, you can get a competitive gpa by the time you graduate and go on to become a pharmacist in training. If you get a subpar gpa at UCLA after the completion of undergrad you can still do a post-bac program and raise your gpa that way. You can raise your gpa.

The first question that I believe people should ask themselves in your situation is: Do you believe you deserved the grades you got?

How many times you were studying per week? How long was the duration of each study session? Were you distracted often or losing your train of thought? Are you having some "life stressors" that were out of your control? If so, maybe you should consider taking a quarter or two off school (if possible). Do you believe you deserved the grades you got?

Personally, studying more times per week at decreased time lengths helped me. I hope you find something that will work for you.

Good luck.