This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bowtie518

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I attended UC San Diego and graduated w/a GPA of 2.936, which I know is well below the average applicants & admitted students in most schools. I did, however, score 93.8th percentile on my OATs
- Academic Average = 360
- Total Science = 340
I have also worked at the Shiley Eye Institute in La Jolla, CA for around 2 years during my time in college.

I am looking to take this year to take some classes and bump up my GPA while looking for a job for more optometry hours. But I have some questions that I would like to ask while before applying and any help is greatly appreciated.

1) Exactly how much would getting an A in 1 class bump up my GPA? So that I know what realistic GPA I can achieve by the time I do decide to apply. I would most likely be working part time so I would only be able to take a limited amount of courses in the amount of time.

2) Also, I don't know how they would calculate my GPA when I finally do apply since the courses I'm taking are from different institutions than UC San Diego (I moved back home to the east coast since graduation). Do they take them all through an algorithm into 1 final GPA or do they look at it all separately?

3) On another note, how many schools do most people apply to on average? I know applications are expensive but I also want to make sure I'm not short selling myself in applying to too few schools and end up not getting in anywhere at all, especially when I know I'm not the strongest applicant out there.

4) Any opinions on Chicago College of Optometry vs. Illinois College of Optometry? Is one harder to get into than the other, rankings, school environment, ect?

Schools I'm Interested In (but don't know which ones to apply to yet depending on the feedback in #3):
UC Berkeley
SCCO
Western
SUNY
NOVA
NECO
MCPHS
Salus
Illinois Chicago College of Opt or Chicago College of Optometry?

Any help or advice at all is greatly appreciated since I feel like I'm at a complete loss here. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1)Some schools weight GPA highly, others OAT score, so there are definitely some that you'll have a better chance with.
Some won't look at a GPA under 3.0, so if you can take a couple simple classes to bump it up, do it.
2) Sciences/pre-req GPA and overall GPA are looked at, not where so much
3) I'd suggest a lot with a low GPA
4) ALWAYS go with a fully accredited school over a new one.

Be prepared to answer the question: "Why the big disparity?" by all schools

Members don't see this ad :)
ALso don’t they mostly look at your cummulative and Pre-Req gpa? Cuz when I called schools, they just asked for my cummulative not science

Yes Physics counts as science. I think the other poster answers your questions spot on. From what I've gathered it depends on the school but most do pay attn to your science GPA and pre-req GPA. They will look at your application as a whole, not just one over the other etc.
For example someone could have a 3.4 overall GPA but if their science GPA is a 2.7 that could raise a red flag. You want to aim for your science/pre-req to be over 3.0. Although, it is not 100% mandatory if other areas of your application are excellent with lots of experience, volunteering, or high OAT etc.

Your OAT scores are very good! They are better than a lot of people with higher GPAs which will help you greatly. I would definitely apply as early as you can that way you will be ahead of the rolling admissions. Be prepared to explain low GPA if they ask. Approach with confidence and a strong desire and you will be all set