GPA and Part I score to be competitive for endo, perio, or ortho.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efficient

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throw around some numbers. I know a 4.0 and 95 would be awesome, but what are some real numbers. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is mostly meaningless, rank is far more important. Some dental schools multiple students have 4.0's, where at others getting a 3.9 falls just short of being physically impossible.

As far as numbers, who knows. For endo/ortho the gold standard is 90+, but I know some people going into ortho this year with mid-80s. I'm sure there are some perio programs that are fairly competitive, but for most 85+ and top 50% of the class should do you well, maybe even less than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
NBDE scores don't mater no more.

Thanks for the response guys. I know a guy who had an 86 and 3.8 and matched for ortho. That was my reason for asking.
Tony, boards don't go pass/fail until 2011.

Thanks for the response guys. I know a guy who had an 86 and 3.8 and matched for ortho. That was my reason for asking.
Tony, boards don't go pass/fail until 2011.

thanks, for the information

False, for the next few years, applicants will still have boards scores

boards don't go pass/fail until 2011.

So.... for students entering Fall 2010, Part I will def be p/f by the time we take it? I keep hearing different things, and there's no info about it @ ADA.org (looking at NBDE I "FAQs"). "2011" is official? :confused:

EDIT: Answering my own question... In case anyone else was wondering, I found the below info contained in the PDF file called "Dental Boards and Licensure Information for the New Graduate," downloadable at ADA.org > Dental Students > Dental Boards/Licensure.

"The National Board Dental Examinations will be moving from a scored exam to a pass/fail. Beginning no sooner than January 1, 2010, candidate performance on Part I, Part II, will be reported to candidates, state boards, and dental schools only as pass or fail. The decision was made at the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations' meeting on March 11-12, 2008. It is noted that the ADA House of Delegates adopted a resolution urging the JCNDE to wait until Nov 1, 2011 so it's possible that the 2010 date will be pushed back. The Commission also decided that standard scores will no longer be developed or reported. Further, they will continue to report raw score performance information in the disciplines covered on the examinations for failing candidates only. This information on failing candidates will be provided to candidates and dental schools."

Last edited: