GPA and MCAT stats for folks accepted into Irish Med Schools...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davesnow10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a search and couldnt find a previous thread for this...

Would anyone who has been accepted into an Irish Medical School please post their MCAT scores and GPA? (and also the year they matriculated at the Irish Med School).

With the application process beginning again in a few months this info will be interesting to those applying for 2005 entry.

Thanks in advance,
David.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dave,
I got accepted into RCSI for sept. 2004. My GPA is 3.98 over 4 years of BSc. My MCAT was 7 Verbal, 11 Physics, 12 Biology, and Q on writing sample. I applied only to University of Ottawa here in Canada because of poor verbal reasoning, but can't give up this opportunity to go to Ireland and study at RCSI. By the way, irish med schools don't really have cut offs.
cheers.

hi dave,

i was accepted at ucd last fall (2003)...i have 2 undergrad degrees...first one in biology, gpa overall wasn't pretty, somewhere around 2.8 or 2.9....2nd degree in gerontology was better, around 3.8 but that was only a 1 year program, so it didn't do much for my overall undergrad gpa......to echo what csname said, they don't have hard and fast cutoffs....i didn't write the mcat either....was planning to write in august 2003 but got accepted at ucd in june so i scrapped that idea pretty quick...doesn't make me feel too godo about the 1200 i wasted on a kaplan course but i'm in med school so that's really all i care about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info....I didnt relaize they would look at you without taking the MCAT....I have already taken it so no big deal.... :)

Thanks again - hope all is going well in Dublin...
Dave.

Only RCSI and University College Cork require mcat, trinity doesn't require it, and ucd only requires you to submit your scores if you've written, but they don't require you to write it...

Bsc GPA 3.4 from a respectable canadian university. MCAT: 30Q

Starting at RCSI in the fall, got waitlisted at UCC but I didn't want to go there.

I think I got into rcsi cuz I was able to pimp it during the interview...

My numbers aren't stellar, but my overall app was good, as in excellent EC's.

Undergrad Science: 2.9
Undergrad Cumulative: 3.1

Master's: 3.5

MCAT: 28T

I was accepted to UCC, waitlisted at UCD, rejected from Trinity and RCSI

Hey,

I have to agree with Choda. I flew into New York for the Interview, partied the weekend before and thought the interview went really well. (Hint: Doing a half year course in Irish Film Studies not only brings up the academic average but being able to talk about classic Irish films was a neat touch)

My MCAT was 30R (8Bio, 12Ver, 10Phy)
My GPA in a B.A. (Political Science - UBC) was about 2.9/3.0

What they said to me was that they were impressed with the MCAT and my "well-roundedness" so pretty much my extra-curriculars and the variety of stuff.

Best'o'luck.

Paul

with a 3.0, would I have a competitive or realistic chance of being accepted to one of the prestigous schools in Ireland? I just took the MCAT in Aug, so I am still waiting on that, but other than that I do have good ECs, being involved in Student Government, biology club and intermural sports. I also do have research experience, and volunteer work in a hospital, along with shadowing an MD.

Accepted in Trinity 2002. GPA: 3.75, MCAT: 32S .

Hussain, sure. As others have said, there aren't exactly cutoffs. They take a whole picture of you into account because their grading and scoring is quite different here. The research will be a plus. Have you done things that are a bit unique and not what every other premed has done? At least with my class, they seemed to like applicants who were well-rounded but done something (whether it's major, some EC) that's not what everyone else did. Having said that, there are a couple north americans in my class that are good ol' American people and fit the premed profile quite well.

which of the irish schools are the easiest to get into?

Amazing.

Everytime this thread comes up it totally amazes me hpow different the applicats who get in are. The GPA's are often drastically different seemingly ranging from 2.6-3.9 and MCATS all the way from 20 to 35.

Again, it seems that Irish school focus very little on your acedemics and more on your overall picture. this works well for some and kills others.