Got teachers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking about hot jobs, the hottest in pharmacy is pharmacy faculty since they have a crisis state shortage: National average of 6 vacancies per pharm school.

Industry and congress are both stepping in trying to encourage students to go into academia. I have an article that i can't find right now that details the loan forgiveness and scholarships if you pledge to enter academia, but i've gotta dig it out of my closet.

At any rate, for all those ppl interested in policy (I'M TALKING TO YOU AZPREMED!!) This is a wonderful way to achieve your aspirations. I'm definitely thinking about it. There's never been a better time.

The article i read discussed the most critical need was in clinical pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Tri, Do you have any idea where this article came from? I've heard of that article and have been unable to find it on the net. When im done, teaching is something I would like to consider. (That is, if it pays some what close to retail or hospital pharmacy)(I use "some what" very loosly!)

I talked to someone with a PharmD who is teaching at FAMU. She said that you do it because you love teaching, when she was asked about salary. It does not pay anything close to retail or hospital. This is true with teachers at any level. No one does it for the money, because the money sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by South2006
Tri, Do you have any idea where this article came from? I've heard of that article and have been unable to find it on the net. When im done, teaching is something I would like to consider. (That is, if it pays some what close to retail or hospital pharmacy)(I use "some what" very loosly!)

I've read about it in several places, most recently Pharmacy Times, but there was a section of the report "Addressing the Pharmacy Shortage" that described the need for more teachers.

It's kinda 'which came first chicken or egg' kinda thing. They're saying we need more pharmacists. To have more pharmacists to meet the mounting shortage, you need more schools, to have more schools you need more professors, to have more professors you need more students to become professors, so you're back to needing more students....and more schools. Remember when Bill and Ted are trying to figure out how to get Eddie Van Halen in their band in Excellent Adventure? It's kinda like that;)

I'm still trying to get Eddie in my band.

I've come to the realization that the money isn't everything in a job. I had to pass on a job offer from Walgreens-the money was top notch, but I know I'd hate my job after 3 months.

I'm seriously liking the rotations where I'm in an office setting (Express Scripts, Snyders Corporate, now Upsher-Smith, next is an academic rotation). Nice chair, internet access, get to see the results of my work, lunch breaks, ducking out 10 minutes early is ok, no weekend hours and off at 5pm, etc.

I think I'd like to teach pharmacy. I have my next rotation back at my school-part of it is helping to teach the dispensing/compounding lab. I'll know more after that. Too bad there really aren't any openings at schools up here in MN-I'd hate to move to, say MS or CA or [insert state other than MN here]. Nothing wrong with those states, but a bit of culture shock, plus having to move...

At the dollars pharmacists are making, I would gladly trade $20K a year to love my job, rather than hate it.

Actually, depending on the position, professors aren't paid all that badly. Salaries tend to be low compared with retail, but you have to remember that the salary is not all of what a prof makes.

The nontenure and clinical faculty come and go. They get a straight salary, straight hours, and little to no chance for advancement. Clinical profs with only Pharm. D. degrees who receive tenure (like Koda-Kimble, Horn) are rare. Most are under considerable pressure to research, perform clinical work, and educate students. The majority of clinical faculty at most schools are treated as second-class citizens and leave sooner or later for greener pastures.

The tenure-track faculty tend to have much better options in terms of career advancement, salary, and benefits. They also can earn money from other pursuits. My Dean for Experiential Education has a profitable side job of being an expert witness. Others do consultation work and others do research. The negative consequences is that profs in tenure track suffer from an "publish or perish" performance criteria. If some of your profs don't seem all that interested in teaching, it isn't personal, they just have more important goals to accomplish.

Look at the AACP averages for prof salaries for justification.

A pharmacoeconomics professor may do some expensive consulting work in PBM management. It's not unheard of for a good pharmaceutics, med. chem, or pharmacology to bring in $150K+ if it has been a good research year. However, they probably could tack on $30-40K if they worked straight for industry.

The other "problem" is that there is no overtime. You are a salaried position, and as such, must insure that your duties are met regardless of how much time you must put in.

It's all about choices and tradeoffs.

A pharmacoeconomics professor may do some expensive consulting work in PBM management. It's not unheard of for a good pharmaceutics, med. chem, or pharmacology to bring in $150K+ if it has been a good research year. However, they probably could tack on $30-40K if they worked straight for industry.

thanks Lord!!! (that sounds funny, huh) I have heard similar, that pharm professors make decent money. You can only expect that to improve with the market behaving as it is. I'm pretty tight w/some of my profs I'll see if they'd post.

Bump (this thread is important to me)

Tri,

Did you ever find that article? I'd be interesed in seeing it... the academia thing has been on my mind more and more these days...

Originally posted by BIGA121781
im curious. what does "bump" mean?

it's when you reply to the thread to bump it to the top of the list of threads so it doesn't get buried and forgotten.