Got my Scores today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoss62

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well got my scores today. Took it on Aug 23, which makes it at about 4 weeks. Well i scored avg on Step 1 and 9 points lower on Step 2, but still passed. Any ideas of what that'll do to me and my application? Applying for Gen Surg cat spot. Really bummed about it today.

Good Luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry Hoss...

Don't get too bummed, though. I'm sure everything will still work out fine!! I can't speak for gen surg (I'm applying to categorical IM) as I know it is getting to be a more competitive specialty these days.... but, most programs don't even look at Step 2, right?

Also, did you already send out your ERAS before your Step 2 score was reported? Maybe you can hold it back until after you get all of your interviews? I mean, I know our programs will eventually need to see our scores. And I havn't rec'd mine yet. But if it is bad, which I'm pretty sure it will be, then I'm going to hold it back as long as I can... don't you think this will work? :oops:

Well got my scores today. Took it on Aug 23, which makes it at about 4 weeks. Well i scored avg on Step 1 and 9 points lower on Step 2, but still passed. Any ideas of what that'll do to me and my application? Applying for Gen Surg cat spot. Really bummed about it today.

Good Luck to all.

Hey, I know how you feel I took it Aug. 22 and got my scores and scored 5 points lower. I too was average on the step 1. I'm applying for anesthesia and still have not gotten any interviews:( . But you know what it is early and I am sure you will do fine. Just try to forget about it and move on. It is not like it's the end of the world and we passed step 2. Even though I am writting this, I am still bummed myself and do not even feel like going to my rotation anymore. I hope to get some interviews in the next few weeks. From what I have heard things are going slower this year, at least for anesthesia. Keep smiling.:)

Well yeah i passed. I already released my scores, so they already know. Oh well not much I can do now but sell myself when and if i get to interview. I've already gotten 1 interview in Chicago, now just waiting for the other 23 to arrive.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that unless your step II score is drastically different from your step I score, it won't make much difference. So, if you had completely bombed it, it would have looked bad, and if you had drilled it, it may have helped. But as it stands, you didn't really help or hurt yourself--which is basically the same as if you hadn't taken step II until after interview offers. So don't beat yourself up too much, you haven't shot yourself in the foot.

well yeah confirmed with my school advisor who is also the residency admission guy. He said it will vary but, will not change my position as far as where I stand. He said they'll look at me as they did before i took it.

Thanks for the booster.

got my scores today and as i had thought from the day i took the exam...i did not pass...i got a mediocre score on step 1 usmle. took step 2 hoping to beat it. i am DO student so i can eventually release all my comlex scores if necessary, but what am i suppose to do now? i DID NOT release my pending scores at time of ERAS. thanks.